Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Oscars

Quote Originally Posted by mrtz
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkyjinx
    The only film ive seen out of that lot was The Descendants - and I have to admit I thought it pretty good, not what I expected.

I really want to see Hugo, though i've missed it in 3d now it's gone from the cinemas.
    Mixed bag of comments from my friends about The Descendants. Worth a watch, then Sparks?
    Well, to be honest it depends what you're expecting....I went along with the missus on a brownie point expedition expecting the usual Clooney dreamy eyed yarn i.e. I was looking more forward to the popcorn & hot dog.

So my expectations were pretty low Marty - i was caught quite off guard by Clooney as the quirky Dad trying to do right by his daughters (and quite amusing boyfriend) The storyline had a couple of funny bits, poignant bits, sad bits, and the backdrop of Hawaii is nice along with what I imagine is 'native Hawaiian' music.

So all in all from expecting a couple of hours shut eye in the dimly lit cinema, I actually ended up enjoying it!

Quote Originally Posted by Hams
    I think 2011 was a very poor year for films - Not one movie really stood out and made me want to go and see it.

Have things got so bad that some French silent rubbish is good enough to win 5 academy awards? - Someone is having a laugh!

Lets hope 2012 brings us something a bit more exciting!
    Have you seen it? You seem to be very quick to judge.

What made the movie such a success was that even though it was silent, it was able to evoke all the emotions you'd expect from a good traditional movie.

I haven't seen it myself, but I think it's worth a watch. I've heard from some friends that Hugo was better than it, though.
    No I've not seen it - I have no wish to sit for a couple of hours in a cinema watching a silent movie!

I wouldn't be surprised if the razzies or what ever the worst movies of the year are called now are better than this bunch of boring Oscar winners!

I think 2011 was a very poor year for films - Not one movie really stood out and made me want to go and see it.

Have things got so bad that some French silent rubbish is good enough to win 5 academy awards? - Someone is having a laugh!

Lets hope 2012 brings us something a bit more exciting!
    Have you seen it? You seem to be very quick to judge.

What made the movie such a success was that even though it was silent, it was able to evoke all the emotions you'd expect from a good traditional movie.

I haven't seen it myself, but I think it's worth a watch. I've heard from some friends that Hugo was better than it, though.
    No I've not seen it - I have no wish to sit for a couple of hours in a cinema watching a silent movie!

I wouldn't be surprised if the razzies or what ever the worst movies of the year are called now are better than this bunch of boring Oscar winners!
    Explosions don't make good movies ,

The only film ive seen out of that lot was The Descendants - and I have to admit I thought it pretty good, not what I expected.

I really want to see Hugo, though i've missed it in 3d now it's gone from the cinemas.
    Mixed bag of comments from my friends about The Descendants. Worth a watch, then Sparks?
    Well, to be honest it depends what you're expecting....I went along with the missus on a brownie point expedition expecting the usual Clooney dreamy eyed yarn i.e. I was looking more forward to the popcorn & hot dog.

So my expectations were pretty low Marty - i was caught quite off guard by Clooney as the quirky Dad trying to do right by his daughters (and quite amusing boyfriend) The storyline had a couple of funny bits, poignant bits, sad bits, and the backdrop of Hawaii is nice along with what I imagine is 'native Hawaiian' music.

So all in all from expecting a couple of hours shut eye in the dimly lit cinema, I actually ended up enjoying it!
    I like Clooney. I'm a fan of his, and I like his style. Up In The Air from last year, I thought was phenomenal. I never thought a comedy could be so poignant, and I hear that The Descendants evokes similar feelings.

I guess I will check it out then!

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Hill
    i've only seen one of those films.
    Was it The Iron Lady?

no, it was that Dragon Tattoo one. pretty f*cked up.

i guess the book would be superior though.

Quote Originally Posted by floody
    I haven't seen any of them!

I did however see the clip of Sacha Baron Cohen dressed as the title role of his upcoming film and throwing the ashes of Kim Jong-Il all over Ryan Seacrest

did you see the gormless little prick stood there lost for words!? yanks have absolutely zero ability to laugh at themselves.

who is Seacrest anyway? what's his UK equivalent?

I did however see the clip of Sacha Baron Cohen dressed as the title role of his upcoming film and throwing the ashes of Kim Jong-Il all over Ryan Seacrest

did you see the gormless little prick stood there lost for words!? yanks have absolutely zero ability to laugh at themselves.

He is the host of American Idol, among other things.

Yeah it was quality, love Baron Cohen. The man clearly has minerals!

I would put him on par with someone like that Welsh bloke that seems to host loads of stuff these days, Steve Jones I believe.
    That guy has made it to the USA hosting X Factor

Yeah it was quality, love Baron Cohen. The man clearly has minerals!

I would put him on par with someone like that Welsh bloke that seems to host loads of stuff these days, Steve Jones I believe.
    That guy has made it to the USA hosting X Factor
    in that case, i wish Sacha had cracked the urn right between the humourless, self-important pricks eyes.