Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Oscars

The Oscars have fell into the trap of lauding itself just enough to warrant filming its own innards.

My winners would have been as follows
    :
    Best picture : Beasts Of The Southern Wild ,beautifully filmed and a truly wondrous film.
    Best actor in a leading role : Joaquin Phoenix for the Master,delivered with a shrug of genius.
    Best supporting actress : Helen Hunt the Sessions ,a powerful truly understated performance.
    Best supporting actor : Alan Arkin for Argo ,I had forgotten how convincing this man's portrayals can be .
    Best Original Screenplay : Moonrise Kingdom ,tinged with the same genius as the Fantastic Mr Fox .
    Best Director :Benh Zeitlin for the beguiling Beasts of the Southern Wild .
    Best Actress : Emmanuel Riva for Amour,proves such finesse can only be honed to such perfection with age.

One to watch : Olivia Harris in the playroom ,an unknown actress plucked from obscurity to grace
    our collective screens ,delivers a breathtaking powerhouse performance of real maturity, and acts
    some renowned actors and actresses off the proverbial screen with an arrogance that belies her
    tender years.

Double post ,so rather than it seem like a brazen attempt to post the same one twice ,I have amended
    the mistake by proffering this short apology "Sorry".

Quote Originally Posted by redpelt
    The Oscars have fell into the trap of lauding itself just enough to warrant filming its own innards.
    Do you not rate any of this years winners then?

I haven't seen any of those movies yet to be able to comment but hope to watch them all in next few weeks.

It certainly looks like an improvement on last year when the awful The Artist won best film.

Quote Originally Posted by Hams
    Quote Originally Posted by redpelt
    Do you not rate any of this years winners then?

I haven't seen any of those movies yet to be able to comment but hope to watch them all in next few weeks.

It certainly looks like an improvement on last year when the awful The Artist won best film.
    Daniel Day Lewis's portrayal of Lincoln can only be described as flawless,once again delivered with the usual beauty we have come to associate with Lewis,but lets face facts here,who in all seriousness provides any competition ?

Joaquin Phoenix who should have won this award hands down for his veritable tour de force in the Master seemingly forgiven his colourful past will never be flavour of the month at such awards,and yet the man delivers virtually seamless performances with the arrogance of a sculptors hands.

As for the much lauded Argo,lets be honest,it was never in any serious danger of failure was it? I like so many others believe Affleck picked a winner with Argo,but he then allowed his overbearing sense of self importance to cast himself in the lead role,when every man and his dog knew the role would be tailor made for the imperious acting talents of his brother Casey.

If Casey Affleck had been cast as Tony Mendez then Argo would have walked away with the lot,including the much coveted "Best Actor Award". A truly special film that deserved a stellar cast ,Ben Affleck is to the acting profession what woodworm is to Ikea ,a parasite it could do without.

In summary,I would liken the Oscars and its critiques to "The Emperors New Clothes" and The Artist winning last year does nothing to refute that point.

As for the Artist,I believed it lacked any real charm that say Chaplin was synonymous with ,let alone provided a genuine connection with the audience,and yet the people who informed me I was missing something couldn't tell me just exactly what I was failing to take from this experience.

If I desired to watch a silent comedy I would watch Chaplin who exuded genuine charm and demanded the adoration of his watching audience,this genre should have expired alongside his genius .

My apologies mate ,it seems I had a bit of a rant there ,but in answer to your question then albeit from Day Lewis in Lincoln I don't concur with any of the eventual winners.

No need to appologise mate as it was a great post and I agree with your comment about The Artist.

It appears that in Argo us British have been made to look bad by not helping the Americans in Iran who were trying to hide which wasn't true according to the ambassador at the time.

No need to appologise mate as it was a great post and I agree with your comment about The Artist.

It appears that in Argo us British have been made to look bad by not helping the Americans in Iran who were trying to hide which wasn't true according to the ambassador at the time.
    The events that led to the extradition of six diplomatic personnel from Tehran have been completely Americanized ,packaged and labelled with the obligatory Stars and Stripes.

Its no surprise that its anti Iranian or that sweeping generalisations have been made pertaining to the English.If you're looking for a less embellished account of the events that unfolded when the US Embassy was seized then I think we will be better informed if we wait for the series now in production apparently titled "The Broken Paw" I imagine it will be shot with a lot more authenticity than Afflecks adaptation.

Its the Oscars tonight.

Which movie will win the best film award?

American Hustle
    Captain Phillips
    Dallas Buyers Club
    Gravity
    Her
    Nebraska
    Philomena
    12 Years a Slave
    The Wolf of Wall Street

I havent seen any of these films yet but American Hustle and Wolf of Wall Street both look excellent.

Best Actor in a Leading Role

Christian Bale (American Hustle)
    Bruce Dern (Nebraska)
    Leonardo DiCaprio (The Wolf of Wall Street)
    Chiwetel Ejiofor (12 Years a Slave)
    Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club)

Best Actress in a Leading Role

Amy Adams (American Hustle)
    Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine)
    Sandra Bullock (Gravity)
    Judi Dench (Philomena)
    Meryl Streep (August: Osage County)

Surely Leonado DiCaprio will win the award for best actor in Wolf of wall street?

Here are this years winners then

Best Picture - 12 years a slave

Best Director - Alfonso Cuaron - Gravity

Best Actor - Matthew McConaughey - Dallas Buyers Club

Best Actress - Cate Blanchett - Blue Jasmine

Any thoughts on the winners?

Will Leonado DiCaprio ever win an Oscar?!

Here are this years winners then

Best Picture - 12 years a slave

Best Director - Alfonso Cuaron - Gravity

Best Actor - Matthew McConaughey - Dallas Buyers Club

Best Actress - Cate Blanchett - Blue Jasmine

Any thoughts on the winners?

Will Leonado DiCaprio ever win an Oscar?!
    Leo not winning is an absolute joke. He always has been and always will be twice the actor McConaughey will ever be.