Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 63

Thread: The Oscars

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtz
    Quote Originally Posted by floody
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by floody
    I haven't seen any of them!

    I did however see the clip of Sacha Baron Cohen dressed as the title role of his upcoming film and throwing the ashes of Kim Jong-Il all over Ryan Seacrest


    did you see the gormless little prick stood there lost for words!? yanks have absolutely zero ability to laugh at themselves.

    who is Seacrest anyway? what's his UK equivalent?


    Yeah it was quality, love Baron Cohen. The man clearly has minerals!

    I would put him on par with someone like that Welsh bloke that seems to host loads of stuff these days, Steve Jones I believe.
    That guy has made it to the USA hosting X Factor
    He has now been dropped for being too dull - I little like all the BORING films that won this years Oscars.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Hams
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtz
    Quote Originally Posted by floody
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by floody
    I haven't seen any of them!

    I did however see the clip of Sacha Baron Cohen dressed as the title role of his upcoming film and throwing the ashes of Kim Jong-Il all over Ryan Seacrest


    did you see the gormless little prick stood there lost for words!? yanks have absolutely zero ability to laugh at themselves.

    who is Seacrest anyway? what's his UK equivalent?


    Yeah it was quality, love Baron Cohen. The man clearly has minerals!

    I would put him on par with someone like that Welsh bloke that seems to host loads of stuff these days, Steve Jones I believe.
    That guy has made it to the USA hosting X Factor
    He has now been dropped for being too dull - I little like all the BORING films that won this years Oscars.
    I didn't even know that, particularly because I didn't watch the show.

    Also, it has become clear to me that Hams will not watch any movie that does not have the word "Fast" and "Furious" in it.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Hams
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtz
    Quote Originally Posted by Hams
    I think 2011 was a very poor year for films - Not one movie really stood out and made me want to go and see it.

    Have things got so bad that some French silent rubbish is good enough to win 5 academy awards? - Someone is having a laugh!

    Lets hope 2012 brings us something a bit more exciting!
    Have you seen it? You seem to be very quick to judge.

    What made the movie such a success was that even though it was silent, it was able to evoke all the emotions you'd expect from a good traditional movie.

    I haven't seen it myself, but I think it's worth a watch. I've heard from some friends that Hugo was better than it, though.
    No I've not seen it - I have no wish to sit for a couple of hours in a cinema watching a silent movie!

    I wouldn't be surprised if the razzies or what ever the worst movies of the year are called now are better than this bunch of boring Oscar winners!


    In the space of your first 5 words you've pretty much lost all credibility in your argument. I haven't seen it either but I'm sure there's a reason that every critic is unanimous in calling it a masterpiece.

  4. #24
    The Oscars 2013

    Here are this years winners!

    Best Picture Winner: Argo (Grant Heslov, Ben Affleck, George Clooney)

    Best Actor in a Leading Role Winner: Daniel Day-Lewis (Lincoln)

    Best Actress in a Leading Role Winner: Jennifer Lawrence (Silver Linings Playbook)

    Best Director Winner: Ang Lee (Life of Pi)

    Any comments?!

    Should Argo have won the best picture above Lincoln?

  5. #25
    The Oscars have fell into the trap of lauding itself just enough to warrant filming its own innards.

  6. #26
    My winners would have been as follows
    :
    Best picture : Beasts Of The Southern Wild ,beautifully filmed and a truly wondrous film.
    Best actor in a leading role : Joaquin Phoenix for the Master,delivered with a shrug of genius.
    Best supporting actress : Helen Hunt the Sessions ,a powerful truly understated performance.
    Best supporting actor : Alan Arkin for Argo ,I had forgotten how convincing this man's portrayals can be .
    Best Original Screenplay : Moonrise Kingdom ,tinged with the same genius as the Fantastic Mr Fox .
    Best Director :Benh Zeitlin for the beguiling Beasts of the Southern Wild .
    Best Actress : Emmanuel Riva for Amour,proves such finesse can only be honed to such perfection with age.

    One to watch : Olivia Harris in the playroom ,an unknown actress plucked from obscurity to grace
    our collective screens ,delivers a breathtaking powerhouse performance of real maturity, and acts
    some renowned actors and actresses off the proverbial screen with an arrogance that belies her
    tender years.

  7. #27
    Double post ,so rather than it seem like a brazen attempt to post the same one twice ,I have amended
    the mistake by proffering this short apology "Sorry".

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by redpelt
    The Oscars have fell into the trap of lauding itself just enough to warrant filming its own innards.
    Do you not rate any of this years winners then?

    I haven't seen any of those movies yet to be able to comment but hope to watch them all in next few weeks.

    It certainly looks like an improvement on last year when the awful The Artist won best film.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Hams
    Quote Originally Posted by redpelt
    The Oscars have fell into the trap of lauding itself just enough to warrant filming its own innards.
    Do you not rate any of this years winners then?

    I haven't seen any of those movies yet to be able to comment but hope to watch them all in next few weeks.

    It certainly looks like an improvement on last year when the awful The Artist won best film.
    Daniel Day Lewis's portrayal of Lincoln can only be described as flawless,once again delivered with the usual beauty we have come to associate with Lewis,but lets face facts here,who in all seriousness provides any competition ?

    Joaquin Phoenix who should have won this award hands down for his veritable tour de force in the Master seemingly forgiven his colourful past will never be flavour of the month at such awards,and yet the man delivers virtually seamless performances with the arrogance of a sculptors hands.

    As for the much lauded Argo,lets be honest,it was never in any serious danger of failure was it? I like so many others believe Affleck picked a winner with Argo,but he then allowed his overbearing sense of self importance to cast himself in the lead role,when every man and his dog knew the role would be tailor made for the imperious acting talents of his brother Casey.

    If Casey Affleck had been cast as Tony Mendez then Argo would have walked away with the lot,including the much coveted "Best Actor Award". A truly special film that deserved a stellar cast ,Ben Affleck is to the acting profession what woodworm is to Ikea ,a parasite it could do without.

    In summary,I would liken the Oscars and its critiques to "The Emperors New Clothes" and The Artist winning last year does nothing to refute that point.

    As for the Artist,I believed it lacked any real charm that say Chaplin was synonymous with ,let alone provided a genuine connection with the audience,and yet the people who informed me I was missing something couldn't tell me just exactly what I was failing to take from this experience.

    If I desired to watch a silent comedy I would watch Chaplin who exuded genuine charm and demanded the adoration of his watching audience,this genre should have expired alongside his genius .

    My apologies mate ,it seems I had a bit of a rant there ,but in answer to your question then albeit from Day Lewis in Lincoln I don't concur with any of the eventual winners.

  10. #30
    No need to appologise mate as it was a great post and I agree with your comment about The Artist.

    It appears that in Argo us British have been made to look bad by not helping the Americans in Iran who were trying to hide which wasn't true according to the ambassador at the time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •