Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wayne Rooney tops shirt sales in last 20 years

Wayne Rooney tops shirt sales in last 20 years

Wayne Rooney has picked up an honour ahead of Monday night's Manchester derby.

'Rooney' has been revealed as the top-selling name on the back of Premier League replica shirts over the past 20 seasons.

The Manchester United striker has beaten Liverpool's Steven Gerrard to the honour with Fernando Torres in third followed by Cristiano Ronaldo and Frank Lampard.

The figures come from Sporting iD, the company that provides the numbers and letters for the shirts.

But one name could have beaten Rooney to the award.

"Had David Beckham remained in the Premier League then this list might have looked different," said Rob Thayne, the company's global sales & marketing director.

"Certainly his move to Real Madrid in the summer of 2003 triggered record sales of 'Beckham 23' shirts, and before him Eric Cantona was a best seller.

"We first started producing Rooney's official player identity in 2002 after he made his professional debut with Everton at the age of 16. We then had to expand that production greatly following his move to Manchester United in the summer of 2004.

"But he truly went into a league of his own in 2007 when Ruud van Nistelrooy vacated the Manchester United number 10 and there is a global demand that shows no sign of abating."

Premier League's top-selling shirt names

1 Wayne Rooney
    2 Steven Gerrard
    3 Fernando Torres
    4 Cristiano Ronaldo
    5 Frank Lampard

BBC Sport
    Any comments? - Are you surprised that Rooney has sold the most replica shirts in the last 20 years?

Makes sense. I thought Ronaldo would have been higher. Personally I have a Gerrard Liverpool one (and Keane )

Same as, I would have expected Ronaldo to have topped that list.

I gave up having current players names on my shirt since Berbatov chipped off to pastures red.

If I get a name, I get a classic i.e. on my retro shirts I have Klinsmann, Hazard, Ginola and Perryman.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Hill

the only time i can ever remember getting a name on the back of my shirt was Matthaus 10 on the back of my old 90's West Germany shirt.

this one:

Quality choice Mr H - did you keep it, what with it being the last tournament featuring West Germany?

My first shirt was a ROI shirt with no.6 on the back and my own name rather than Roy Keane's.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkyjinx

the only time i can ever remember getting a name on the back of my shirt was Matthaus 10 on the back of my old 90's West Germany shirt.

this one:

Quality choice Mr H - did you keep it, what with it being the last tournament featuring West Germany?
    nope, sadly i got rid of it as the cultural significance was lost on a young Steely Hill. i wish i'd kept it now though.

i did once bump into Sir Trevor Brooking while wearing it and we shared a bit of banter over the England/Germany rivalry. fond memories.

Brilliant.

Was the shirt from around that time, or a 'retro' from a few years later?

I quite like the idea of a West German shirt from Spain '82 with Rummin...Rummineg....Ruminneg.....the captain Karl Heinz on the back!

I too had a Germany shirt from euro 96 when they won it at wembley,i had Andreas Moller on the back of mine and of course had loads of people staring at me at the time lol

http://postimage.org/

Also had the German Euro 96 shirt. Big Klinsmann fan at the time.

Now have the last World Cup German shirt as well.

That great player rooney

I have a t-shirt of the Manchester with his name