Page 1 of 90 121151 ... LastLast

Thread: The Arsene Wenger Thread

The Arsene Wenger Thread

Due to popular demand. Here you go Pokers and co.

Best to keep it all in here rather than derail every other thread.

So all things to do with Arsène Wenger: His role at Arsenal; his past, present and future at the Club.

I'll kick it off with this, which should mightily please Pokers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-WrgVpu_0k

The very fact that someone has taking the time to put that together should at the very least ring alarm bells in that so called Arsenal Football Club supporting head of yours.

You should move your last big post in the Norwich thread to here..

#justsayin'

And are you saying I'm a "supposed" Arsenal fan now?

J-Axe, my original post on page 1 was:

Quote Originally Posted by Pokerkings
    What a ridiculous position Wenger has put us in. We can now end up 5th if we don't win both our remaining games.

Thing is, I can see the Spuds winning both of their last two games, so unless we get 6 points we could be facing Europe League.

It shows you now just how important those games against Wigan and Q.P.R were. Wenger really has some motivational problems amongst all his other weak areas.

Tw@t.
    This was before the game J-Axe and what happened?

Do Norwich have better players than us? nope.

Do they have anything to really fight for (Champions League football)? nope.

Were they at home? nope!

Yet I called that Wenger wouldn't have his players ready or motivated for this game and I was bang on the money highlighting issues under his poor management.

What was the difference between the two sides? Work rate and effort! that's what. Their players are not at the level of ours yet they put in a World class shift for that team.

What constructive posts have you offered? referring back to past success? How the hell is that constructive? the CHEEK!

Where's the pride? where's the passion?

Wenger lost it a long time ago because he's been more focused on corporate Arsenal PLC and his own beliefs than what's best for Arsenal Football Club. Whenever he's been questioned about his strange decisions we get:

"I have made over 50000 decisions in my career, I don't need to explain them to anybody"
    Arsene, you're looking for a new number two, will that be Tony Adams?

"I've been a manager for 30 years so it's be difficult to bring in someone who can each me something about football"
    The man is so up himself it's a joke. Even Sol Campbell said he hates to be challenged at the training ground and only does things his way. Ferguson keeps it fresh and has often changed his assistant because he knows he's not always right.

It's all this which has held us back from being better than what we are yet you will happily continue this way. It's not a choice or to be balanced. Wenger wont change, he's to into himself and is on a personal quest to prove himself right! I can't believe after 7 years you fail to see it. Shocking.

There's nothing fickle about it either. Once Dein left Arsenal Wenger was given a lot of freedom and power he didn't have when we were successful. Now the club will and the board will always have to wrestle that power back from him and it's not healthy. He needs to be put in line. He needs someone to stand up to him and point out all his mistakes he's making because he's so f**king stubborn he refuses to change his policy and no one, NO ONE challenges him. He even helped choose his own boss FFS!!

Rumour has it Bould has been given the number 2, love the guy but he wont be given any freedom to express his own suggestions, he'll just be collecting cones and handing out Lucozade.

That video is brilliant lol

Do Norwich have better players than us? nope.
    Do they have better players than Spurs, Newcastle or Liverpool? They hammered Newcastle. They won at WHL a few weeks ago. They got a point at Anfield.

What was the difference between the two sides? Work rate and effort! that's what. Their players are not at the level of ours yet they put in a World class shift for that team.
    So it's solely Wenger's fault that Sagna, a World-class RB (that Wenger spotted and signed in a very, very good deal) failed to perform well? Koscielny and Vermaelen had bad games because Wenger couldn't motivate them enough? What happened to Spurs, Liverpool and Newcastle when they lost or dropped points at home to Norwich? Were Redknapp, Dalglish and Pardew 100% culpable for their slacking and their inability to beat an inferior team? Should they all be sacked as they're finishing below us in the league despite spending more. You bang on about Wenger having £50m to spend last summer.. Liverpool spent £105m and finished mid-table.

What constructive posts have you offered?
    19 different defensive combos has something to do with it. Sagna and Gibbs were carrying injuries, Sagna's broken leg re-broke as such.. Gibbs was all over the place.. he's never been 100% fit and usually goes between games harboring an injury. No excuse for Vermaelen or Szczesny who were particularly poor. Koscielny was on his own at times but wasn't great either.

The lack of protection in midfield is a problem as well because Song no longer sits and plays defensively. He roams and interchanges. Ramsey has had an awful season - he's slow, clumsy and lazy. Was a total waste of space yesterday. I would have played Coquelin ahead of him.

We definitely need to sort it out. But then Sagna is arguably the best RB in the game at his best and has been unlucky with TWO leg breaks; Koscielny has been immense for us and stands with Song, Arteta and RVP as our most key player; Vermaelen was immense until he had several long-term injuries and his performances are now patchy; Gibbs is the best LB we've had since Cashley but he's also injury-prone. Jenkinson, Mertesacker and Santos impressed in spells but all had long-term injuries as well. Arteta and Wilshere are kept out by injury as well and they're huge losses.

But that back five yesterday and not including Song ahead of them, is our strongest back five since the Invincibles. So the performance cannot be put on Wenger. The players badly underperformed. I don't want to make it about Wenger again, I'm done going around in circles over that. If he gets sacked, I'll discuss it again but that isn't going to happen despite all the whinging from emo-fans like Pokers. I think [fully fit] the squad is strong. I think the new signings have done well in general. I think our first XI is good enough to compete. I think we lack quality in depth a little, but without injury we're as good as everyone in the league bar Man City.

We should finish top four if not top three. That proves stability despite the rise of Spurs, Newcastle and of course City this season who have every right to be top four. Chelsea and Liverpool have spent a lot of money in recent windows and still lag behind us in the league. It's a very, very tough league. We have no divine right to finish top four. If we miss out on CL football because of what happens in Munching then that's disappointing but not the end of the World. Losing RVP would be a far bigger problem and we have to ensure that doesn't happen otherwise it'll be another difficult summer, as was last season having lost Cesc and Nasri.
    The difficulty in keeping a wealth of talented strikers is that when you play the system we do it's impossible to keep them happy. RVP when fit starts every single game, there's nothing you can do about that. Vela, Bendtner, Chamakh and Park are central strikers and so there's only one spot up for grabs and RVP (thankfully) was fit enough to play regularly.

Vela and Bendtner were trialled in wider roles but didn't really suit it. They are both good players. Vela's excelling in La Liga again and he'll most likely go there permanently. Bendtner will do well at Sunderland or a Club at their level. Chamakh did really well when RVP was injured and got a goal every other game, showed great work-rate and power up front, acted as a really good targetman but once Robin got fit he basically faded into the shadows.

Podolski adds more quality and he'll most likely do well because he can fit into the wider roles if needs be. The aforementioned strikers currently on our books don't have that in their game. Podolski can play with RVP, out wide or in place of RVP. We'll keep Chamakh I think and he'll offer a plan B if needs be. He deserves more chances in all fairness. I thought he did well yesterday, his hold/link-up play was excellent when he came on, in fact he did everything RVP struggled to do up until then and all of a sudden RVP was getting chances as he pulled wide and dropped deep. Joel Campbell might fit into the first team next season as well. And don't forget that the Ox is yet to blossom, with his talent I'd expect him to push for a starting role next season and he'll add goals.

I think we'll be OK. The real worry will come if RVP leaves. Then we do have a serious problem.

Anyway, it looks like we'll get 3rd. It'll hopefully be enough to influence Robin to stay. That demonstrates just how important finishing top four is for us as a Club going forward. I know lots of Liverpool fans who've argued with me that finishing mid-table and winning the Carling Cup is a better achievement. It's not. If we finish mid-table we are never able to sign players like Podolski, M'Vila, Kagawa and we lose players like Vermaelen, Song, RVP etc. Not counting the profits as well.

We just need a bit of luck with injuries next season. If we can field that back five on a regular basis and keep Wilshere, Arteta and Rosicky fit then we'll be up there again next season. But there's no guarantees, not without money like City. Look how Liverpool and Chelsea have struggled in the league, they're nowhere near the top four and spent massively. Man Utd are in danger of slipping further, they have serious issues in midfield, they got dumped out of both European competitions early and look set to be trophyless - they don't have the spending power of City or Chelsea who will improve again in the summer.

We've remained stable. We remain top four. We should be in the CL next season. That should help retain RVP and hopefully lure in some big signings. Our finances are good. We can only go forwards. Wenger is the man to keep us stable. I don't see any other manager with £50m to spend coming in and making us title contenders or cup-winners as well as maintaining our regular CL appearance. It's a very, very difficult job. The league gets tougher and tougher. Transfer fees and wages get higher and higher.
    That's the point I was making. We don't spend enough in comparison to the others to warrant such expectations. Liverpool have spent much, much more and have NEVER won the title and they have a greater pedigree than us and are supposed to be a bigger Club. We won two doubles under Wenger and won a title whilst unbeaten, reached the CL KO round about 10 seasons in a row (I've lost count) and have finished in the top four every single season - and included in all of that we made a big move to a spanking new stadium..

... all with a net spend of £1m a year on players.

We CAN spend more and that's the cry from the fans. I can understand that but Wenger has his targets and we bid for them at the right price, problem is that they are often lured to richer Clubs who can afford higher wage bills. Then when we do get top class players they still end up getting lured to a splash-the-cash soulless Club, like Man City.
    You're repeating yourself. Fans want trophies? I am a fan. I want trophies. I have a full understanding of that and I've enjoyed seeing my Club win major honors.

The difference between wanting and expecting is the problem though. Certain fans expect silverware and slate everybody at the Club when you don't win it. That's the impatient, negative, fickle attitude that I get tired of. And the expenditure statistics show that our net spend doesn't really warrant such high expectations. I don't expect us to win titles. Not now. Not with the modern trends and the rise of Chelski and Etihad City.

We can however retain stability. Stay amongst the top four and the elite in Europe as well as balancing the books financially and allowing us to keep progressing slowly. If we spend, spend, spend, we'll go into debt and we'll struggle to progress and if we fall majorly behind (drop out of top four, lose out on CL football and lose all our top quality players who want CL football) then we'll just decline as a Club. Currently we're stable, still top four, still getting CL football, financially healthy, have a very decent squad with some World-class players, a proven World-class manager and we're able to attract pretty decent players from Clubs who perhaps don't have that stability or chance at CL football.

I can't stress how important that is. Winning the odd domestic cup doesn't really help that. it'd be lovely, it really would (and we've reached three finals in the seven season trophy drought) but it's not essential for our progress. I'm patient with our progress as much as I miss competing for the title, but I'm realistic and don't expect that. If we were spending £75m per season like Chelski then I'd expect to win the title, but we don't. Our net spend since 1992 has been around £1m.

But then even if you do expect silverware or believe that sacking Wenger and hiring somebody else would fix that problem then fair enough, but don't moan about it on a weekly basis and call Wenger a tw@t when you don't like what's going on.
    You're repeating yourself. Fans want trophies? I am a fan. I want trophies. I have a full understanding of that and I've enjoyed seeing my Club win major honors.

The difference between wanting and expecting is the problem though. Certain fans expect silverware and slate everybody at the Club when you don't win it. That's the impatient, negative, fickle attitude that I get tired of. And the expenditure statistics show that our net spend doesn't really warrant such high expectations. I don't expect us to win titles. Not now. Not with the modern trends and the rise of Chelski and Etihad City.

We can however retain stability. Stay amongst the top four and the elite in Europe as well as balancing the books financially and allowing us to keep progressing slowly. If we spend, spend, spend, we'll go into debt and we'll struggle to progress and if we fall majorly behind (drop out of top four, lose out on CL football and lose all our top quality players who want CL football) then we'll just decline as a Club. Currently we're stable, still top four, still getting CL football, financially healthy, have a very decent squad with some World-class players, a proven World-class manager and we're able to attract pretty decent players from Clubs who perhaps don't have that stability or chance at CL football.

I can't stress how important that is. Winning the odd domestic cup doesn't really help that. it'd be lovely, it really would (and we've reached three finals in the seven season trophy drought) but it's not essential for our progress. I'm patient with our progress as much as I miss competing for the title, but I'm realistic and don't expect that. If we were spending £75m per season like Chelski then I'd expect to win the title, but we don't. Our net spend since 1992 has been around £1m.

But then even if you do expect silverware or believe that sacking Wenger and hiring somebody else would fix that problem then fair enough, but don't moan about it on a weekly basis and call Wenger a tw@t when you don't like what's going on.
    Just a few of my post directed at you recently.

If you see none of those replies to your pedantic, negative whining as constructive then I'm absolutely 100% wasting my time in conversing with you. So, this is why I made this thread - for you to file your anti-Wenger views and moan all you like without polluting every other thread. So, have fun with it.

Zinc has been constructive. He can acknowledge the weaknesses and areas where Wenger must improve, but he can also balance it up with reasoning or support, rather than just plain, negative, ignorant abuse.

Clearly anything I or any other Arsenal fan says on here has no effect on you as you're non-stop and single-minded with your views. My only real gripe was that you were doing it in any thread you could. Keep it all in here, on topic and I'll be happy and almost willing to discuss it.

First, I will use whatever thread I like. Because you can't handle criticism of Wenger doesn't mean I have to walk on eggshells around you.

And what you've posted isn't constructive, it's excuse making. It's the same boring crap you get from people who have supported Arsenal since Wenger arrived at the club.

On your others points, I don't give a flying monkey's what other clubs have done against Norwich. You are now comparing us to Spurs and Newcastle? wow! what progression after 16 years!

Look, if you're prepared to give Wenger his 8th chance then that's up to you and Zinc.

Personally, I want a much better manager.

First, I will use whatever thread I like. Because you can't handle criticism of Wenger doesn't mean I have to walk on eggshells around you.

And what you've posted isn't constructive, it's excuse making. It's the same boring crap you get from people who have supported Arsenal since Wenger arrived at the club.

On your others points, I don't give a flying monkey's what other clubs have done against Norwich. You are now comparing us to Spurs and Newcastle? wow! what progression after 16 years!

Look, if you're prepared to give Wenger his 8th chance then that's up to you and Zinc.

It's alright if your Wenger criticisms are relevant but you do keep repeating yourself in each and every thread, it always turns into the same thing with you, apart from when we went on that winning run and you were much more quiet.

As you didn't like J-Axes example, here's one for you - why couldn't Alex Ferguson motivate his players to beat Everton?

Do Everton have better players than United? No.

Are they fighting for anything? (survival/Europe) No.

Were they at home? Nope.

Manchester United were fighting for the title but Ferguson failed to get his team to win at home - a high scoring draw with terrible defending...sounds familiar.

I actually agree with you that Wenger obviously made huge mistakes over the Norwich match, we clearly didn't show them enough respect and failed to do the most simple bits of defending at the back which we've seen all too often this year, but I also don't recognise it as a sign of the apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinc

It's alright if your Wenger criticisms are relevant but you do keep repeating yourself in each and every thread, it always turns into the same thing with you, apart from when we went on that winning run and you were much more quiet.

As you didn't like J-Axes example, here's one for you - why couldn't Alex Ferguson motivate his players to beat Everton?

Do Everton have better players than United? No.

Are they fighting for anything? (survival/Europe) No.

Were they at home? Nope.

Manchester United were fighting for the title but Ferguson failed to get his team to win at home - a high scoring draw with terrible defending...sounds familiar.

I actually agree with you that Wenger obviously made huge mistakes over the Norwich match, we clearly didn't show them enough respect and failed to do the most simple bits of defending at the back which we've seen all too often this year, but I also don't recognise it as a sign of the apocalypse.
    Quiet was I?

This was my posts in the Wolves thread, the end of our winning streak (3-0)

Wolves vs Arsenal Thread:

Ramsey should go on loan to f**king Aldershot. He is nowhere near Arsenal class, nowhere near.

Wenger probably writing up his new contract as we speak!
    We are so sloppy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinc
    Quote Originally Posted by KimKallstrom2
    Tottenham, mind the GAP!! Tottenham, Tottenham mind the GAP!
    Tottenham, mind the GAP!! Tottenham, Tottenham mind the GAP!!
    Tottenham, mind the GAP!! Tottenham, Tottenham mind the GAP!!
    PS: sack Wenger
    No, it's: WENGER OUT!

No, It's: 8 years without a single little trophy.

Love that trophy pic.

Of course it's great to have back the bragging rights, I've had 4 months of wind up's from Spud mates around me.

But, you still have to put things into perspective, no one remembers a 3rd place finish over trophies in the history books.

It's true, we are the form team in the Premier league right now, and should absolutely be targeting the Premier league next season. I am however a bit worried Wenger will look at the form and decide we dont need strengthening, which will be typical Wenger.

Getting 3rd, and with the money we have, we should be very ambitious, and for once go into a season with an embarrassment of riches rather than hoping to avoid injuries.

We need to be much better defensively next season and need to add more offensively. If Wenger does that we will be in the position to challenge again. But we need to trust Wenger to make the right additions in the summer and put the club first rather than making more money, and I'm still not sure whether I do trust him to do that.
    On the Ferguson and Everton game examples....ridiculous.

Comparing a team that are the current champions who sit on 86 points while Arsenal are on 67 must be considered a joke.