Page 2 of 91 FirstFirst 1231252 ... LastLast

Thread: The Arsene Wenger Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pokerkings

On your others points, I don't give a flying monkey's what other clubs have done against Norwich. You are now comparing us to Spurs and Newcastle? wow! what progression after 16 years!
    Progression is the FACT that you have a brand new state of the art stadium as foundation for financial gain,those other teams have put there money into buying players and trying to qualify for champions league and have failed . EVen so we have not got the team SPurs have got ,but the champions league 3rd spot is in our hands where it really should be in Spurs hands based on the squad they have available. The reality is is that Norwich have done well against better team than Arsenal have,but for some reason that doesn't register in your bizarre world.

Look, if you're prepared to give Wenger his 8th chance then that's up to you and Zinc.
    He's earned the right to manage for as long as he wants ,or as long as it doesn't make sense to whoever runs that club.
    You see all Wenger has to do is sit down and say this.

Ok ,i tried to build a team from the ground up while still remaining competitive in the champions league . As we all know we lost players i wanted to keep all throughout this campaign which made things very difficult because they were important players in the system i had created and players that were hard to replace. Take that and the fact that we have been "unlucky" ,but i would rather say victimized by an outrageous amount of career threatening injuries to players. We also have o consider that one of s could have predicted how strong and competitive the league has gotten since i started this rebuilding process ,it's been unbelievable and this season has been the toughest one yet ,but yet we are still 3rd in the table when teams have much deeper squads are beneath us.
    I think i can take some blame for being naive wen it comes to player loyalty and relying on injured players to make full recoveries ,but i think we are definitely progressing as a team and with a few little adjustments to the added strength of the league we will be more competitive without question.

Now any man with an I.Q. above 80 can tell you that you would be crazy to sack this man given the facts he has stated here.

[code]
    Personally, I want a much better manager.[
    /code]
    There isn't one! and you know it! It would be financial suicide to sack Wenger in this economy!

Nothing can be said to you that will change your stance Pokers. You can say what you want, anywhere you want but I don't think it's practical for you to pollute and derail every thread with it. That's why I created this thread for you (us) to endure this merry-go-round of a debate whilst not ruining every other thread.

I'd back Zinc's example above. Man Utd were in the title race and conceded FOUR at OLD TRAFFORD to Everton to give Man City the advantage going into the derby which they also bottled. Everton, like Norwich had very little to play for and that can sometimes work in your advantage, no pressure on Everton and all the pressure on United. Just like us on Saturday.

Man Utd will finish above us as you point out but similarly will end the season trophyless. They did worse than us in Europe. They failed in the cups. They had the upper-hand in the league at vital points and bottled it. City spanked them 6-1 at Old Trafford. Blackburn beat them at Old Trafford. Anybody can beat anybody in this league.

Drawing 3-3 with Norwich isn't the absolute shock or absolute disaster that you make out. Every time we have a bad game you can't put it entirely down to Wenger. He takes responsibility because he picks the team but how is he culpable for the likes of Bacary Sagna having a bad game? Bac is a top, top RB, arguably the best in the World and you think he requires a specific amount of motivation from Wenger before each game to make him play to a decent level?

And the leaders within the team need to step up and motivate. In most cases the biggest motivators in a team are the captains or the biggest voices, not the Managers. Bergkamp, Adams, Campbell and Vieira are players who had those qualities. I think we do lack a proper leader these days and that's not solely down to Wenger either. Vermaelen, Song, RVP and Arteta have shown leadership qualities but haven't really stepped up vocally on the pitch (I don't know how the dressing room is at half-time). But I can say that we improved vastly in the second half and usually do in games where we are struggling - in fact how many games have we won this season after going down 1 or 2-0 in the first half? More than I can remember.

Motivation is not the problem. Tactics are not the problem. Defensive organization has to be improved most definitely but then again I can't help but point to the elephant in the room ---> NINETEEN different back four combinations due to injuries, mostly long-term injuries. Koscielny and Vermaelen rarely able to bond as as CB partnership. Sagna, Jenks, Djourou, Vermaelen, Gibbs, Santos, Mertesacker have all been injured at some point this season - at one point we had ALL of our fullbacks missing and that is a massive strain on resources. We've witnessed Francis Coquelin play RB and Ignasi Miquel play LB, out of position and inexperienced youngsters. We've missed Arteta desperately when he's been injured and Ramsey has disappointed, I've discussed this with Zinc in another thread, but then you have to consider that we didn't expect Jack Wilshere (arguably our best player last season who played more games than anyone) to miss the entire season through injury.

You have to look at the balance of things. It's not all negative like you make out. And it's not all down to Wenger. I can see that, Zinc can see that, specnur can see that - and every one of my Gooner pals can see that as can the other Gooners on other forums I visit. There will always be those fickle, uber negative folk like yourself who gets it set in their mind that Wenger isn't good enough and then spend the rest of his time at the Club slating him - not constructive criticism, like none of yours has been. As specnur agreed with me in the Norwich thread - where have you praised Wenger this season?

Now if you consider the quality of Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool and even Newcastle currently below us and the sheer power of City and United currently above us. It's the most difficult league in the world. Be grateful that we've still kept our head just above the water for so long despite lacking the spending power of those around us. Wenger has been absolutely bang on to invest in youth and try to create superstars because we can't compete for them in the market. If we offer Eden Hazard £100k per week then Man City can offer £150k, if we improve it to £160k then they go to £200k - just like how City ousted United just when they were about to capture Nasri.

The game will change gradually over time and we'll do well to keep up with certain Clubs around us.

Now, if we had the spending power of Man City and didn't win the league and in the next few years the Champions League then I'd most definitely sack Wenger. Mancini has been able to spend massive amounts and lure in the players he likes with ridiculous wages and even they've shown how difficult it is. They will win the league but just by the skin of their teeth and they flopped in Europe and in the cups which shows just how difficult it is.

Quiet was I?

On the Ferguson and Everton game examples....ridiculous.

Comparing a team that are the current champions who sit on 86 points while Arsenal are on 67 must be considered a joke.
    Yes, you were 'more quiet'.

The example is ridiculous? Nope, it's perfect - even the Mighty Champions run by Super Fergie who are 19 points ahead of terrible Arsenal run by that twat Wenger couldn't do the job - you heavily criticise Arsenal for it, well Manchester United did the same thing.

I'm not talking about the whole season, you picked out very specific examples and I showed you the same thing happened to Manchester United, you failed to address the argument.

The one & only, see your lovable Frenchie above.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinc
    Quiet was I?

Comparing a team that are the current champions who sit on 86 points while Arsenal are on 67 must be considered a joke.

The example is ridiculous? Nope, it's perfect - even the Mighty Champions run by Super Fergie who are 19 points ahead of terrible Arsenal run by that twat Wenger couldn't do the job - you heavily criticise Arsenal for it, well Manchester United did the same thing.

I'm not talking about the whole season, you picked out very specific examples and I showed you the same thing happened to Manchester United, you failed to address the argument.
    No I addressed it perfectly.

Utd might have a blip against the odd team (Everton and Blackburn) but they didn't drop the points we have against the weaker teams. The Arsenal players were blatantly relaxed and unmotivated against Wigan, Q.P.R, Norwich...etc

3rd isn't the end of the World, I agree. But I can see the bigger picture, we are getting worse every season. And If Van Persie had his usual injury this season we would have been mid table, make no mistake, we were very lucky with him this season.

We are only were we are because the other teams around us have been as bad as us, Chelsea are manager-less, Liverpool might as well be, Tottenham had the England manager saga with Rednapp...etc.

I expect Chelsea to turn things around, Tottenham to spend, Liverpool to improve and we'll be looking to make another profit....

Thing is, everyone thinks that spending is the answer but it's not just that either, we have no defensive organisation, no discipline and more importantly, no tactics..

I expect Chelsea to turn things around, Tottenham to spend, Liverpool to improve and we'll be looking to make another profit....
    This sentence should be framed for all Arsens fans.
    The real deal Pokey strikes again.

Quiet was I?

No I addressed it perfectly.

Utd might have a blip against the odd team (Everton and Blackburn) but they didn't drop the points we have against the weaker teams. The Arsenal players were blatantly relaxed and unmotivated against Wigan, Q.P.R, Norwich...etc

3rd isn't the end of the World, I agree. But I can see the bigger picture, we are getting worse every season. And If Van Persie had his usual injury this season we would have been mid table, make no mistake, we were very lucky with him this season.

We are only were we are because the other teams around us have been as bad as us, Chelsea are manager-less, Liverpool might as well be, Tottenham had the England manager saga with Rednapp...etc.

Thing is, everyone thinks that spending is the answer but it's not just that either, we have no defensive organisation, no discipline and more importantly, no tactics..
    I wasn't trying to claim that United have been as poor as us over the entire season, just point out that it might not be simply a motivational problem, sometimes the manager may have done his job and the players don't do theirs.

I agree on RVP, we've had our bad luck this year but we've also had plenty of good, especially with the teams around us like Chelsea and Spurs misfiring, we absolutely can't rely on luck next year so new players are a must this summer. Podolski is onboard, M'Vila might be - that's a good start but obviously we need more creative options in the final third, let's wait and see if we dip into the transfer market more this summer.

Again, I agree about defensive problems - our actual back line is made up of decent players - it's the organisation and balance of how they approach each game that causes our problems, but it's not just them, it's how the midfield operates too - the purchase of M'Vila would show that Wenger has recognised that and wants to build a cohesive unit for the future - Szczesny, Koscielny, Vermalen and M'Vila are all quite young, on paper a unit like that working together over the coming years is a really exciting prospect - with bould as our number 2 things might change defensively - things certainly weren't getting better under Rice so we'll have to wait and see, I know you've decided already it won't but I can't see into the future myself.

Quote Originally Posted by chin-up
    Go look through my posts, I've been saying this for months, it's not just them - if Newcastle can hold onto their best they'll be taking points off the big boys too.

Quote Originally Posted by chin-up
    Go look through my posts, I've been saying this for months, it's not just them - if Newcastle can hold onto their best they'll be taking points off the big boys too.
    Newcastle, occasionally might take some points off...under certain circumstances only.
    Had Chelsea not needed to rest their top players SeneToons would not had won, then.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Axe
    Motivation is not the problem. Tactics are not the problem.