Page 38 of 88 FirstFirst ... 2837383948 ... LastLast

Thread: The Arsene Wenger Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jono

If he was really smart he would have veto'ed RVP going to another English team, with the way City are going and Arsenal handing RVP to United they have pretty much guaranteed themselves no EPL titles for the foreseeable future. Surely they could have found a fireign club willing to fork out 25 mill for him!!?!!
    i think that was the problem ...no other club was willing to fork out £25 million for a 29 yr old who until last season had been prone to injury on more than one occasion , Arsene Wenger either had to sell or risk keeping a player who has said he does not agree with his managers vision for the club ...then have him leave for nothing at the end of the season .

Quote Originally Posted by Conner99

If he was really smart he would have veto'ed RVP going to another English team, with the way City are going and Arsenal handing RVP to United they have pretty much guaranteed themselves no EPL titles for the foreseeable future. Surely they could have found a fireign club willing to fork out 25 mill for him!!?!!
    i think that was the problem ...no other club was willing to fork out £25 million for a 29 yr old who until last season had been prone to injury on more than one occasion , Arsene Wenger either had to sell or risk keeping a player who has said he does not agree with his managers vision for the club ...then have him leave for nothing at the end of the season .
    Yeah ,a good bit of business and it's looking more like a a sign of desperation by united judging by that price!
    That is a lot of money for a somewhat fragile player ,but if he's over his injuries it could work out for RVP and United. I think this was a quick fix for Fergie in his last Hurrah to be honest ,there is nothing long term in that signing.

As much as we can criticize Wenger for losing these players each year ,i think he knows what he's doing here.

I highly doubt no one else would have paid 25 million for a proven world class goal scorer like RVP. Chump change really for the guaranteed goals he will give any team.

Wenger had to sell yes, but to sell to one of the Manchester teams just shoots himself in the foot for years to come.

I highly doubt no one else would have paid 25 million for a proven world class goal scorer like RVP. Chump change really for the guaranteed goals he will give any team.

Wenger had to sell yes, but to sell to one of the Manchester teams just shoots himself in the foot for years to come.
    You honestly believe other teams would have paid £25 million for a 29 year old who has been plagued with injury his whole career and as such has only played 40% of all games in the last seven years or so? Not to mention the fact he has only had one season like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Kroenke's moustache

You honestly believe other teams would have paid £25 million for a 29 year old who has been plagued with injury his whole career and as such has only played 40% of all games in the last seven years or so? Not to mention the fact he has only had one season like this.
    RVP is a quality player so let's not demean the player in any fashion, but i think the Summer transfer interest spoke for itself when it came down to ARsenal evaluation for him. No one wanted him but man u in the end, and that was only because fergie was on a panic trip after losing the title the way he did against MAn city. If he stays fit for the next 3 years man u would have done a good bit of business ,but my thinking is that he was playing for suitors last season and not playing for Arsenal as good as he was. His ability will fall off next season there is no doubt about that as he won;t be as relied upon as he was at Arsenal. That being said even of he plays to 70% of his form last season he will be a massive asset and i see him starting very strong indeed for united.

Yes, very much so!

Yes, very much so!
    BUt yet ONLY Man U came for him when he quite publicly made it clear he "WILL NOT BE SIGNING A NEW CONTRACT WITH ARSENAL". have any inside info on those transfer possibilities pal?

Quote Originally Posted by specnur

Yes, very much so!
    BUt yet ONLY Man U came for him when he quite publicly made it clear he "WILL NOT BE SIGNING A NEW CONTRACT WITH ARSENAL". have any inside info on those transfer possibilities pal?[/quote

It's pretty well known Juventus wanted him for one but RVP wanted to go to Man Utd instead.

Real and Barcelona don't need a striker and Chelsea have clearly decided Torres is their man for this year, but if those clubs (and Man City) were in the market for a striker you can bet they'd have been interested in RVP.

Yes, very much so!
    BUt yet ONLY Man U came for him when he quite publicly made it clear he "WILL NOT BE SIGNING A NEW CONTRACT WITH ARSENAL". have any inside info on those transfer possibilities pal?
    No, we both dont have any inside info which is why we have only heard about the Man U interest (and vague stuff about Juventus etc)

I think that indicates that RVPs preference was to go to United so no one else really bothered, in the football inner sanctum (they all talk) everyone probably knew thats where he was going.

But if Arsenal had come out and said publically "we are not selling him to to a domestic club, he must go overseas but he is for sale for about 25 mill" they would definitely 100% got interest from overseas clubs.

To suggest no one else would have wanted him is ludicrous and reeks of Arsenal fans and you acting the jilted lover now that hes gone, "oh he wasnt that good anyway" etc when really last season he was the best striker in the best league in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by fakeplastictrees

Yes, very much so!
    BUt yet ONLY Man U came for him when he quite publicly made it clear he "WILL NOT BE SIGNING A NEW CONTRACT WITH ARSENAL". have any inside info on those transfer possibilities pal?[/quote

It's pretty well known Juventus wanted him for one but RVP wanted to go to Man Utd instead.

Real and Barcelona don't need a striker and Chelsea have clearly decided Torres is their man for this year, but if those clubs (and Man City) were in the market for a striker you can bet they'd have been interested in RVP.
    Th

The fact remains only one club wanted him at that price! Juventus backed out early doors so don't give me that crap ,like that would be even close to a happening deal. RVP would have been insane to go there and the ONLY reason his agent even honored their call was to gain some sort of bargaining advantage between clubs,but i'm not even sure fergie was stupid enough to buy that rubbish. Those other clubs are not in the frame of the conversation in any shape or form so why even bring them into it.