Page 78 of 91 FirstFirst ... 286877787988 ... LastLast
Results 771 to 780 of 901

Thread: The Arsene Wenger Thread

  1. #771
    Quote Originally Posted by specnur View Post
    Bould? really mate ? fro what reason continuity of what i ask you !
    There comes a time where a constant t scowl on your mug loses its allure on ten sidelines . No nonsense English bloke bullsh!t is exactly what's holding teams back.
    the only ting he was good at supposedly was defending , everyone and their mother complained about Wenger team being too soft at the back . so to shut everyone up Arenal dug up the scowl to put sin the bench beside him and from what i have seen he's done absolutely noting to improve that team .
    You would think he would have been consulted at least on any defender on the radar for Arsenal for his opinion and ion so how the hell did we get Mustafi in our team or Mertesacker ?
    What I was getting at was bringing in a new coaching team wholesale is usually a bad idea, it is better not to make too many radical changes at once. If Bould is really responsible for putting Mertesacker and Mustafi in the back line (and not the manager, which I suspect is not the case) then fair enough he can be moved on, but too many changes usually ends badly. Silk purse, sow's ear and all that, Arsenal need to recruit some better defenders I'd say.
    He's magic you kno-oow, Mauricio Poch-ett-ino!

  2. #772
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickleman1967 View Post
    I don't disagree with everything you say Specs, but if I'm guilty of not giving him enough credit, you are guilty of giving him too much! Sure, Wenger was a major player in the PL, and Arsenal are still a very good side, but attributing the "PL revolution" to him is taking it a tad far, Fergie and Mourinho might have something to say about that. True that football is short term and savagely competitive now, and there is no such thing as club loyalty, but that is a reflection of social trends we all have to live with now. No longer company loyalty to employees, and employees are happy to bugger off for more pay/better conditions/better hours at the drop of a hat, like it or not that is the way things are.

    I'm sure I've been through this with you before, but even if I was to accept he has been unfairly restricted until FFP and the refs not giving his players protection (which I don't) so what? Burning a load of money on flashy signings is no guarantee for success, look at LVG at Man Utd - the skill of the manager is buying the right players for his team, holding on to the good ones and getting rid of the bad ones. His "academy project" has failed to bring through a stream of talent, he and his team have to take some responsibility for that as well. As for injuries, well Arsenal don't need broken legs to end up with a lengthy injury list, it would seem if one of them breaks wind they are out for 6 months. Injuries are part and parcel of the game, again the manager has to manage that by building up the squad over time.

    Having said all that, I'm not saying he is a bad manager, and I'd say most Gooners would be happy enough to have a stand named after him, when he retires. He had a good run with the team early on, but you have to be in denial if you cant see the repeated failure by the team to win the league or a European trophy season after season, and he is powerless to do anything about it.

    Lets not go round in circles on this though Specs, you will be proved right if he gets a top job at a top club here or in Europe, and goes on to take the world by storm. I'll be proved right if he fails to land a top job, and slowly fades away like most older managers are want to do .
    I know where my money is going.

  3. #773
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickleman1967 View Post
    What I was getting at was bringing in a new coaching team wholesale is usually a bad idea, it is better not to make too many radical changes at once. If Bould is really responsible for putting Mertesacker and Mustafi in the back line (and not the manager, which I suspect is not the case) then fair enough he can be moved on, but too many changes usually ends badly. Silk purse, sow's ear and all that, Arsenal need to recruit some better defenders I'd say.
    The same old defensive mistakes in defence happened when Pat Rice was there before Bould which renders that argument utter nonsense.

    Note for Specs: Pat Rice was the previous assistant manager.

  4. #774
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickleman1967 View Post
    ....... but attributing the "PL revolution" to him is taking it a tad far, Fergie and Mourinho might have something to say about that. "

    They can say what they want ! But it was he who set an unprecedented standard of winning the legume undefeated.
    Most people take that lightly ,but on your resume in THIS league that is something incredibly special that will never be done again. From the day he did that he was looked upon as the best ever in our league. he made teams up their game ,there is absolutely no doubt about it . And i really can't believe you are doubting that being the case.




    I'm sure I've been through this with you before, but even if I was to accept he has been unfairly restricted until FFP and the refs not giving his players protection (which I don't) so what? Burning a load of money on flashy signings is no guarantee for success, look at LVG at Man Utd - the skill of the manager is buying the right players for his team, holding on to the good ones and getting rid of the bad ones. His "academy project" has failed to bring through a stream of talent, he and his team have to take some responsibility for that as well. As for injuries, well Arsenal don't need broken legs to end up with a lengthy injury list, it would seem if one of them breaks wind they are out for 6 months. Injuries are part and parcel of the game, again the manager has to manage that by building up the squad over time.
    The fact are there for anyone to see and no-one has produced a logical explanation of why it happened to Arsenal so frequently around the same space of time .
    NO other team had 1 of such injuries for my recollection ,we were allowed to be bullied by any team in the league . 3 broken limbs in 4 years for dangerous challenges not just run of the mill hamstring tears or such blatant targeting of our players!!!! Think about that for just a few minutes will you. How many of those have you seen your players suffer from that in the last 5 years ? Its a sone of the, most outrageous and blatant episodes in the league history and if I WERE on the board i would have sought legal action against the league based on the consistency of it happening to us and the lack of instances of it happening to our rivals in that period of time .


    Having said all that, I'm not saying he is a bad manager, and I'd say most Gooners would be happy enough to have a stand named after him, when he retires. He had a good run with the team early on, but you have to be in denial if you cant see the repeated failure by the team to win the league or a European trophy season after season, and he is powerless to do anything about it.
    yep ! again completely ignoring the 4 different eras under Wenger i provided . You yourself have said the league is ever changing ,you say his ideology no longer is relevant ,but he finished above his rivals last year. ALL OF THEM. All these new jack managers ,bright young future stars of the game are still beneath him mate. When they finish above ,then tell me that his ideology is irrelevant.

    Lets not go round in circles on this though Specs, you will be proved right if he gets a top job at a top club here or in Europe, and goes on to take the world by storm. I'll be proved right if he fails to land a top job, and slowly fades away like most older managers are want to do.
    The only reason we are going round in circles pickles is because you consistently ignore details of my post ,so i have to retire it just to make sure you get it. Because you haven't refuted them with any counter arguments.

  5. #775
    Am I mental thinking that perhaps Barcelona would give him a chance if Arsenal don't renew he's contract?

  6. #776
    Quote Originally Posted by specnur View Post
    The only reason we are going round in circles pickles is because you consistently ignore details of my post ,so i have to retire it just to make sure you get it. Because you haven't refuted them with any counter arguments.
    I'd say I have but it's a bit pointless as you have set your mind anyway! I'm not going to touch the conspiracy theory about the 3 broken legs in 4 years, I've never heard an Arsenal fan (apart from you) even mention it. Like all conspiracy theories it is "unfalsifiable", I cant prove it was nothing more than coincidence (coincidences happen btw) anymore than you can prove it was a deliberate and cynical way of derailing Arsenal's season.
    As for Wenger adapting to the changing landscape, sure top four consistency cannot be denied, but if he is as brilliant as you claim, with all the time he has had to get it right, and all the cash at his disposal if he wants to spend it on the missing pieces of the jigsaw, he has failed to win the league for oh so long. Fergie didn't win it every season of course, but he had the ability to rebuild a title winning team. His last title, btw, was won with a team of ageing stars where not a lot of cash was spent.
    Arsenal fans want a title winning team again Specs, you cannot blame them for losing faith in Wenger over the years. As I say, his fate in May will make any arguments redundant. If Arsenal give him a new contract, see you here with the same arguments in 12 months time!
    He's magic you kno-oow, Mauricio Poch-ett-ino!

  7. #777
    Quote Originally Posted by IamMelGibson View Post
    Am I mental thinking that perhaps Barcelona would give him a chance if Arsenal don't renew he's contract?
    I'll assume that is a serious question Mel, so serious answer would be almost certainly no. League titles and CL success are what a club like Barcelona look for, and just looking at Wenger's CV it would be hard to make a case for him from that point of view. True enough, anything is possible in football, clubs sometimes make surprise appointments, just cant see it myself though.
    He's magic you kno-oow, Mauricio Poch-ett-ino!

  8. #778
    They will be wanting new manager for next season. About the CV I don't know. When was the last time they even hired a manager who had one?
    Either way. It will be interesting to see if Wenger if serious about not retiring even if they sack him.

  9. #779
    Quote Originally Posted by IamMelGibson View Post
    They will be wanting new manager for next season. About the CV I don't know. When was the last time they even hired a manager who had one?
    Either way. It will be interesting to see if Wenger if serious about not retiring even if they sack him.
    The CV thing was more a figure of speech Mel, but they would still probably want to interview him to get a feel for the direction he wants to take the club in if he was offered the job. As I say, highly unlikely that he will be on their radar these days, Barcelona wont be impressed with two FA cup wins in thirteen years.
    He's magic you kno-oow, Mauricio Poch-ett-ino!

  10. #780
    I think you are right. I was just thinking if there isn't anyone proper available. What they won't do for sure is to let Wenger start a 5 year project or something like that. I wonder how Wenger would feel about 1 or 2 year contract after being 20 year in Arsenal. This is an interesting question which ever club he chooses if any.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •