Thread: How to play with a back 3

How to play with a back 3

Hi all,

I want to utilise a three man defense and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me on how to execute it. My three defenders I will be using have two, tall well build lads but neither of them are very technical (as in they had tackle and mark, but couldn't burst forward and run with the ball very well) as well as a slightly weaker defender who is less physical but much more tactical. The more technical player would be pushed forward as a CDM/CM when we attack, but always keeping at least 2 at the back.

My plan was to play the two physical defenders as LCB and RCB with the technical defender in the middle. As far as positioning, I am unsure which is the best way to organise them. I've read about a flat line as well as a slightly V shaped back 3, so any tips would be appreciated.

On a small sided pitch the 3 players showed great communication skills and look very tight as a unit. Does anyone have any tips on how to defend with a back 3 including positioning, covering ect.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated cheers!

You mention a small sided pitch what age group and number of players each side?

I wouldn't place 3 defenders at anything less than 9 a side