Thread: Dealing with a keeper who wants to play outfield

Dealing with a keeper who wants to play outfield

Hi all,

I currently have a keeper who is a decent goalkeeper. He plays exceptionally well some games and then concedes a few another, but he currently has a league's best clean sheets record.

Problem is he fancies himself as a centre back. His physique matches the role perfectly, but as he has never played there before his positioning, tackling and general fitness is poor. I played him there once in a friendly and he played okay, his timing of tackles was very bad, he was booked! And he played too deep and too high and played people onside a lot which makes me think that it wouldn't be a great idea to play him there.

What should I do? I've been ignoring it since he started and my worry is he'll leave if he doesn't get his way!

Re: Dealing with a keeper who wants to play outfield

Quote Originally Posted by chazamegaz
    Hi all,

I currently have a keeper who is a decent goalkeeper. He plays exceptionally well some games and then concedes a few another, but he currently has a league's best clean sheets record.

Problem is he fancies himself as a centre back. His physique matches the role perfectly, but as he has never played there before his positioning, tackling and general fitness is poor. I played him there once in a friendly and he played okay, his timing of tackles was very bad, he was booked! And he played too deep and too high and played people onside a lot which makes me think that it wouldn't be a great idea to play him there.

What should I do? I've been ignoring it since he started and my worry is he'll leave if he doesn't get his way!
    Why not let him play there against weaker sides? Just stress to him the fact you value him so highly as a goalkeeper and need him there for the good of the team, but against weak teams and when you go say 5-0 up let him have a run on the field! A booking is nothing to worry about.

Speaking from experience as a goalkeeper who can now comfortably play anywhere on the park

Re: Dealing with a keeper who wants to play outfield

Quote Originally Posted by chazamegaz
    Hi all,

What age group are we talking about here? I personally think at a younger age he SHOULD be moving around positions. If its at an older age I wouldn't do it as much but I wouldn't hold him back too much. Some times a position change can do wonders for a player...look at someone like Hope Solo for example. She played as a field player until college, then switched to goalkeeper and found her niche in the game. Let him train in practices at centre back and give him a chance in some games. You wouldn't expect him to step in goal for the first time and be a compete natural with every technique the first game, so it shouldn't be expected for him to be perfect as a centre back with no training either. Give him the training and tell him he has to earn it in practices to get field time at CB in games.