Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Rodgers Report

The Rodgers Report

Piggy-backing off the conversation Steely and I had on another thread, it's general consensus here and in the media that this summer will be critical for Rodgers.

All eyes will be on him this off season as far as who he will bring in to possibly sustain a top 4 place or to repeat the title onslaught, coupled with Champions League football. Will he be able to find more diamonds in the rough such as Coutinho and Sturridge? Will he bring in former colleagues such as Allen and Borini? Will he go with the flavor of the month like Lallana?

He hasn't had the best record in the transfer market, and he said it'll take 5 or 6 before he is able to build the team he wants for his system. If I'm not mistaken, this is his 5th.

This thread is to scrutinize, analyze, and discuss his performance this transfer window, and see how his signings then, now, and later, affect the squad (positively or negatively).

Will he be able to keep his star asset in Suarez this season? If he does, who goes around him? If he leaves, how will the money be spent?

Financial Fair Play comes into action now. Will he be able to operate within his means and still compete with oil-rich clubs?

Re: The Rodgers Report

thoughts on the business conducted thus far?

Well I'm glad we signed some of our targets right from the get go instead of dragging it out and possibly losing them like we did with Demsey in the past.

In terms of quality...I can't say I know very much about our signings thus far...I've seen Lambert and Lallana play for Southampton and think they will certainly add to the team. I'm pleased with what looks to be finalized today the signing of Remy...I think this chap has something more to offer upfront and the reported 8.5M is a steal for him...off course that depends on him delivering the results on the pitch. Can't say I know about the rest...performances will dictate my thoughts on them when the season starts.

I still feel our central defense is questionable at best...the signing of Lovren will strengthen that surely but I'm just not convinced yet. Perhaps its time Coates stepped up a notch and proved his worth...as for the LB and RB....seems that's all we've been interested in from the get go...looking forward to the likes of Kelly and Flanagan getting more time for sure.

Read something today suggesting we're in for Vidal as well...is this guy really that good? There was little reason for excitement in watching him play for Chile in the world cup for me....I guess mainly because Sanchez was clearly head and shoulders above the rest of that team.

Last but not least...my biggest wish before this window is for us to sign our new #7 in Marco Reus. I doubt that would happen...I think he's a fantastic player and tho injured right now...he's certainly one for the future. I would go out buy my Reus shirt today if we had him :P

Brendan Rodgers has spent 215 million since taking over as Liverpool manager with only Sturridge and Coutinho being considered successful signings
    Why has his transfer record been so poor?
    See table below.

I thought Liverpool would stay strong this season, but it looks clear that they will struggle to finish top four. At the moment you would have to fancy Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal, and probably Man Utd to finish above them. I'm surprised when I look at that list of transfers, quite a few names I've never heard of, it seems that Rodgers has gone for quantity more than quality. Squad players were always going to be needed with the CL campaign, but that group of players look distinctly average. I've heard a lot of people say Liverpool have 'done a Tottenham' in selling Suarez and buying mediocrity, selling the Beetles and buying the Monkees as Tim Sherwood put it. There is some truth in that of course, but I actually think Spurs made better purchases than Liverpool. Lamela, Soldado, and Erikson I would say is 2/3 'hits' only Soldado has proven to be a dud (you could argue that the jury is out on Lamela). Chadli has also proven to have an eye for goal, with 5 this season, I'm happy to see his name on the team sheet.

OK, I don't need anyone to point out Liverpool walloped Tottenham at home, and we have lost to Newcastle and WBA at home also. I'd say our real weakness is in defence, and the defenders we have purchased (Dier, Fazio, and Davies) don't look like top quality. This is probably where Liverpool are weakest also, the Lovren transfer in particular must be disappointing for Rodgers. Liverpool, at their most successful, always built a team around a strong defence. Brendan seems to have turned that philosophy on its head, hoping to score more than the opposition. That approach looks flawed to say the least, never mind the Balotelli show Liverpool need to go back to basics and get that defence bolstered.
    He's magic you kno-oow, Mauricio Poch-ett-ino!

yeah i expected a bit of a struggle for Liverpool this season as they'd have CL football to contend with (fifth was my pre-season prediction i think) so i expected it to get a bit tough for them but not so spectacularly and so early in the season.

the good news for them is that they've been nicking points here and there and the inconsistency of Man United and Arsenal (i wont even bother including spurs at this stage) means that both 3rd and 4th are wide open.

however, i have raised question marks about ROdgers transfer prowess numerous times and i have to say none of the new signings look like good business. not a single one, and that is a dreadful turn of events given the outlay.

it seems that ROdgers is above his level and doesn't have it in him to take that extra step up to join the big players in the game. talent spotting and recruitment are every bit as important as tactical prowess, something which also has question marks against his name when the pressure is on such as the tail end of last season.

when the burden of expectation is on them, Liverpool tend to falter. that is a worrying sign, for sure. recruiting players with no culture of winning makes it even more so.

I'll get to this (completely forgot about this ) when my anger has subsided.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtz
    Has your anger subsided yet Mrtz?
    With Rodgers job now under pressure it would be good to read what you think about all
    of his summer signings that he made to replace Suarez and maybe to give the players some sort of rating out of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Hams

it's more likely to have increased

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Hams

it's more likely to have increased

I guess there is no chance now that the Reds have been knocked out the CL.

Shall we try and do our own review of Rodgers signings?