Page 1 of 12 1211 ... LastLast

Thread: England Squads

England Squads

GOALKEEPERS: Joe Hart (Manchester City), Fraser Forster (Southampton)

DEFENDERS: Leighton Baines (Everton) , Gary Cahill (Chelsea) , Nathaniel Clyne (Southampton), Keiran Gibbs (Arsenal), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur).

MIDFIELDERS: Ross Barkley (Everton), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Fabian Delph (Aston Villa), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), James Milner (Manchester City), Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Andros Townsend (Tottenham Hotspur),Theo Walcott (Arsenal).

STRIKERS: Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal).

Harry Kane has been called up to the senior England squad for the first time for the games against Lithuania and Italy.

I'm not sure why Walcott was selected as he has only just returned from injury or why Shaw and Barkley are in it but not Rose of Tottenham?
    Any thoughts?

Re: England Squad v Lithuania/Italy (Kane in)

three left backs again.

barkley the most over rated player since Wilshere.

carrick

our midfield is probably the worst its been since i started watching football.

When you look at that squad you know why we are where we are in the world rankings at the moment, it looks a bit lightweight. Too many players from teams that are struggling for form, and players who are struggling for form themselves. I'm not too sure there are many others screaming to be selected from what they are doing on the park, possibly Kane is the only player there to have 'played himself' into contention.
    Can't say I feel tempted to back us for the Euros!
    He's magic you kno-oow, Mauricio Poch-ett-ino!

What do you guys think Charlie Austin has to do to be in with a shout? Not a very talked about name but I feel like he could have been considered. Maybe even in place of Welbeck.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    What do you guys think Charlie Austin has to do to be in with a shout? Not a very talked about name but I feel like he could have been considered. Maybe even in place of Welbeck.

I think Austin has been great for QPR this season and will for sure move to one of the top 4 sides when Rangers are relegated at the end of May.

If it was up to me i would have selected him and left out Sturridge who has only just come back from injury and hasn't deserved to be called up.

I also like Saido Berahino of West Brom who will no doubt also join one of the big boys in the summer but maybe should stick with England U21's for now.

There is also Danny Ings of Burnley who has had an excellent year but those horrible tattoos he has all over his arms puts me right off from watching him play,

Roy Hodgson must have read my post as he has called up Danny Rose plus goal keepers Rob Green and Jack Butland as Fraser Forster got injured at weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    we are only ever going to take a limited number of strikers and i'd imagine that is the only reason he hasn't been included.

i'd certainly take him as a striker over Welbeck but i suspect Welbecks' versatility helps him - namely that he can play off the striker or wider in a 4-5-1/4-3-3 hybrid whereas Austin can only really operate as the front man

Liverpool's Lallana and Sturidge have both pulled out through injury and been replaced by Spurs Ryan Mason.

Quote Originally Posted by Hams
    Liverpool's Lallana and Sturidge have both pulled out through injury and been replaced by Spurs Ryan Mason.
    Hmm, bet they're back for the game against Arsenal, call me a cynic and all that. It is a good opportunity for Mason though, the jury may be still out on him, but this is a chance for him to play in a "big" game, and show us what he's got.
    He's magic you kno-oow, Mauricio Poch-ett-ino!

Re: England Squad

Goalkeepers: Rob Green (QPR), Joe Hart (Manchester City), Tom Heaton (Burnley),

Defenders: Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Nathaniel Clyne (Southampton), Kieran Gibbs (Arsenal), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Chris Smalling (Manchester United).

Midfielders: Ross Barkley (Everton), Fabian Delph (Aston Villa), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), Ryan Mason (Tottenham), James Milner (Manchester City), Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Andros Townsend (Tottenham), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal).

Forwards: Charlie Austin (QPR), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Jamie Vardy (Leicester) Danny Welbeck (Arsenal)

no less that four relegated players make the cut this time

mystifyingly Barkley still keeps getting called up despite doing absolutely nothing with his playing time for 99% of this season. Ditto Mason.

similarly you'd be hard pushed to make a reasonable case for Welbeck, Walcott, Wilshere and Townsend. not to mention our esteemed skipper, of course.

WTF is he doing calling up that hopeless clogger Vardy ffs? the bloke just steams about fouling people without any obvious technical ability to his name whatsoever. mind boggling stuff.

EN-GER-LAND!!!