Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: England Squads

Re: England Squads

Quote Originally Posted by Pickleman1967
    Just a shame the excellent Mason is still injured, he'd be the first name on my squad sheet.
    And therein lies the problem, Mason is an erratic player that gets too much credit for his energy and enthusiasm and in light of glaring technical ability.You basic England standard .

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Hill
    You can now add eric dier to that list ffs

Will have a look to see who Roy has selected when i get back home tonight.

Could do with a good laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by specnur
    Just a shame the excellent Mason is still injured, he'd be the first name on my squad sheet.
    And therein lies the problem, Mason is an erratic player that gets too much credit for his energy and enthusiasm and in light of glaring technical ability.You basic England standard .
    I made that comment tongue in cheek Specs, to counter Steely's obvious anti-Tottenham bias. Mason is no superstar, but he is not without ability either, he is a decent squad player for Spurs.
    Eric Dier is a very capable CB or DM, deserved recognition for another Tottenham player. He has an eye for goal as well, and not just against small clubs like West Ham, but against decent sides like Man City in our recent victory over them. Glad to see Roy has been paying attention.
    He's magic you kno-oow, Mauricio Poch-ett-ino!

he is a decent squad player for Spurs.
    Eric Dier is a very capable CB or DM,

isn't this precisely the point? 'decent squad player'? 'very capable'? those are just different terms for average player.

meanwhile Delph is rewarded for his excellent season with a call up too.
    I'd stick with 'decent' for Mason, but good (meaning above average) for Dier. The thing is as a DM your job is to stop the opposition running through on your defence, it is not a 'glamour' role but it doesn't mean it doesn't require skill, awareness and the ability to pass accurately. If he had scored 10 goals this season no doubt people would be saying what a talent he is, but there again he wouldn't be a DM then would he? The reduced goals against tally for Spurs this season has a lot to do with him in his new role. He can play as a CB or a full back as well - versatile but primarily a defensive player.
    He's magic you kno-oow, Mauricio Poch-ett-ino!

Here is the squad for the games against Spain and France.

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland (Stoke City), Joe Hart (Manchester City), Tom Heaton (Burnley)

Defenders: Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), Kieran Gibbs (Arsenal), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones (Everton), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur)

Midfielders : Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Ross Barkley (Everton), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), James Milner (Liverpool), Jonjo Shelvey (Swansea City), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City)

Forwards : Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Jamie Vardy (Leicester City)

Jesse f*cking Lingard?

Ryan Mason gets called straight back up?

depressing
    FFS!
    How many games has he played this season?
    Pathetic.

It would be a joke if that Marcus Rashford is called up for England just for scoring 4 times in 2 matches for Man Utd!

I also agree that West Ham's Antonio, Noble and Cresswell should all be selected with the current form all 3 players are on.

It will be a disgrace if Jack Wilshere is picked as he has been out all all season and same goes for Sturridge and Welbeck.

We have some tough friendlies coming up soon against Germany and Holland so will be interesting to see who Hodgson calls up.

England squad to play Germany and Holland

Goalkeepers Butland (Stoke), Forster (Southampton), Hart (Man City)

Defenders Bertrand (Southampton), Cahill (Chelsea), Clyne (Liverpool), Jagielka (Everton), Rose (Tottenham), Smalling (Man United), Stones (Everton), Walker (Tottenham).

Midfielders Alli (Tottenham), Barkley (Everton), Dier (Tottenham), Drinkwater (Leicester), Henderson (Liverpool), Lallana (Liverpool), Milner (Liverpool), Sterling (Manchester City).

Forwards Kane (Tottenham), Sturridge (Liverpool), Vardy (Leicester), Walcott (Arsenal), Welbeck (Arsenal).

Danny Drinkwater of Leicester is rewarded for his fine season with his first ever call up to the England
    squad but there is sadly no place for Mark Noble who will probably never get a chance now unless we have injuries.

Hart and Sterling are out after picking up injuries in the Manc Derby. I guess Fraser Forster will now start in goal for us?

I Think the injury to Hart is a blessing in disguise. It may be the case that he is the best of a bad lot but surely the time has come for someone to take the gloves for more than just 1 match.