Page 1 of 27 1211 ... LastLast

Thread: The God Thread

The God Thread

Religion is one of the biggest threats to world peace, it promotes division and superstition, it has been behind atrocities and crimes against humanity no secular cause could ever hope to achieve. It oppresses women, it encourages belief in fairy tales rather than rational reasoned thinking, it is something the human race should have dispensed with centuries ago, but it continues to have a grip on vast swathes of humanity and it shows no sign of going away any time soon.

As such, it's time we gave God his/her/it's own thread, where you can come and slag off the religions of the world or defend the god of your choice if you so fancy. I'm happy to seriously debate religious beliefs, I won't mock if you actually believe in this stuff. Personally, I'll be using it to drop in stories of the latest crazy religious utterances, atrocities, scandals, and religious stuff so bat shit it makes you cry with laughter or cry with despair.

I'm a big fan of Jesus turning up in unusual inanimate objects, so I'd appreciate any Jesus sightings (America and Brazil are rich mines for such stories, Jesus is popping up all the time over there). To start the ball rolling, here is Jesus in crisps, frying pans, and toast among other things

Feel free to contribute, and may Darwin bless you.
    He's magic you kno-oow, Mauricio Poch-ett-ino!

Re: The God Thread

I was raised as church of England with the school I went to, but don't go to church now. I am somewhat religious and do intend going back to church in about 6 months. Why? I want to be around people who want to live a better life morally and who want to treat others kindly. I get it, I hope: obey the laws of the land, do good and help the less fortunate, while having pure intent with your heart. We have to remember that the stories were from many thousand years ago - which means that you don't have to be perfect like they were all the time.

I hate the idea of prayer. Always asking God to do something for them: which could mean helping a friend of theirs out or even a much less fortunate person. Even though it;s to help someone out, it's all about what the person who is praying wants. It's selfish, to me.

We all want to praise him, but being God - the creator n that - I'm sure he doesn't need any praise.

How lucky are we to be living these lives?

Quote Originally Posted by Tipster
    I was raised as church of England with the school I went to, but don't go to church now. I am somewhat religious and do intend going back to church in about 6 months. Why? I want to be around people who want to live a better life morally and who want to treat others kindly. I get it, I hope: obey the laws of the land, do good and help the less fortunate, while having pure intent with your heart. We have to remember that the stories were from many thousand years ago - which means that you don't have to be perfect like they were all the time.

I hate the idea of prayer. Always asking God to do something for them: which could mean helping a friend of theirs out or even a much less fortunate person. Even though it;s to help someone out, it's all about what the person who is praying wants. It's selfish, to me.

We all want to praise him, but being God - the creator n that - I'm sure he doesn't need any praise.

How lucky are we to be living these lives?
    The C of E will definitely take issue with your ideas Tipster, so if you're going back to church I'd keep them to yourself if I was you. It seems you have a 'deist' idea of God - basically that God created the universe but takes no interest in our personal lives (reading every thought 24/7) in the way Christians believe. The Christian God is omnipresent also - you can never escape his gaze, even when you're taking a crap. Big Brother was playing at it, God is the ultimate dictator!

If you read the bible, you'll discover that God not only needs our praise, he gets really mad if we don't give it. In the Old Testament, this usually involves killing vast numbers of people in acts of punishment. Most Christians would agree that the reason God made humans was to create a "people" who would worship him and love him for all eternity (that's what you do in heaven, sounds like a hoot doesn't it?).

As for helping people out, I agree we should all try and spread some sunshine during life's journey, though that can be achieved without getting involved with the God squad. The average Christian doesn't spend his or her evenings helping homeless orphans btw, and most of the money you put in the collection plate will go towards the maintenance of the church, not to help the poor and the hungry.

To demonstrate my universal contempt of religion, and to keep things balanced, I'll be posting facts about all religions of the world to expose their hypocrisy and the BS upon which their beliefs are founded. Lets kick off with Islam and Mohammed. Did you know Mohammed was married to a girl called Aisha, when she was nine years old? Not only that the marriage was consummated when she was nine or ten as well. Oh come on Pickle, you say, that was 1500 years ago and times are different now. Wrong! In Saudia Arabia the religious leader, Sheikh Abdulaziz Al Asheikh recently killed a proposal from the Ministry of Justice to bring the age a girl can be legally married up to 15 years of age. There is no legal age limit for when a girl can be married.

Cases of child marriage, including brides as young as eight years old, have made headlines in local and international media in recent years. In 2010, the Saudi Human Rights Commission, a government-affiliated group, hired a lawyer to help a 12-year old divorce her 80-year old husband. A nonce's paradise, and sickening to hear perhaps, but consider this - at least the Saudis are open about f*cking children, which actually gives them the moral high ground compared to the Catholics who rape children outside of marriage and then cover it up.

More fun facts tomorrow God fans!

Personally I find the whole god issue a bit odd.
    I get that it served a purpose in the past, I just think we should have gone past it by now.
    To put it in a more cynical way - we should stop taking orders from an imaginery friend after the age of 4.

P.S
    Aisha wad 6 when married. 9 when the marriage was consummated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickleman1967
    . Most Christians would agree that the reason God made humans was to create a "people" who would worship him and love him for all eternity.
    But surely if he wanted people to worship him for all eternity then he would created people without the capacity for freedom of thought and to doubt his existence. I am an Athiest of course but just for the sake of arguement!.

You mention all of the evil that is done in the name of religion but totally ignore all the good deeds done in its name, more good than evil is done I would wager. Religion is not to blame for people being evil. People are born good and their personality is shaped by life experience, some turn evil and do evil things - its done in the name of the religion but that does not mean the religion is the evil!. Most of the people in any religion, and most athiests, are good.

but consider this - at least the Saudis are open about f*cking children, which actually gives them the moral high ground compared to the Catholics who rape children outside of marriage and then cover it up. !
    Surely your not suggesting that this behavouir is the limited to just the Catholics?!.

Quote Originally Posted by eurxe
    Personally I find the whole god issue a bit odd.
    I get that it served a purpose in the past, I just think we should have gone past it by now.
    To put it in a more cynical way - we should stop taking orders from an imaginery friend after the age of 4.

P.S
    Aisha wad 6 when married. 9 when the marriage was consummated.
    Glad to hear you live in the reason camp Eurxe, I wouldn't mind if people were killing each other because they heard voices in their head from their imaginary friend, giving them the orders. At least then you could put it down to simple insanity. However, we live in a world where people kill based on what they think the imaginary big man wants them to do. It is easy to see the next world war having a religious origin, I hope I'm wrong, but the organised religions of the world still have great wealth and influence. They'd rather take down the whole of humanity than relinquish it, indeed some look forward to the end of the world, listen to these A-holes.

I've heard different ages for when Mohammed and Aisha married/consummated by the way, but they all agree that he was a bona fide paedophile. The great prophet, sh*t be upon his name.

they all agree that he was a bona fide paedophile. The great prophet, sh*t be upon his name.
    Be carfull, people were killed for much less...

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus
    . Most Christians would agree that the reason God made humans was to create a "people" who would worship him and love him for all eternity.
    But surely if he wanted people to worship him for all eternity then he would created people without the capacity for freedom of thought and to doubt his existence. I am an Athiest of course but just for the sake of arguement!
    Ah well, that would be too easy, you see God never interferes with human sovereignty and free will (OK, he does once in the Old Testament where he "hardens the Pharoh's heart" against the people of Israel, but lets not dwell on that!) it has to be our choice to believe in and worship God, otherwise he wouldn't be justified in sending millions of people to hell (in his merciful love) would he?
    You mention all of the evil that is done in the name of religion but totally ignore all the good deeds done in its name, more good than evil is done I would wager. Religion is not to blame for people being evil. People are born good and their personality is shaped by life experience, some turn evil and do evil things - its done in the name of the religion but that does not mean the religion is the evil!. Most of the people in any religion, and most athiests, are good.
    I used to believe that myself, but the more layers of the onion you peel away the more rottenness you find underneath. The 'religious saint' most people point to as a "doer of good" in this world is the late Mother Teresa. However, when you look at her life with secular glasses on she is less than saintly. Chris Hitchens is great on exposing the old bat.

but consider this - at least the Saudis are open about f*cking children, which actually gives them the moral high ground compared to the Catholics who rape children outside of marriage and then cover it up. !
    Surely your not suggesting that this behavouir is the limited to just the Catholics?!.
    No, I'm sure child rape goes on inside all religions, I don't have a special agenda against the RCs,

I used to believe that myself, but the more layers of the onion you peel away the more rottenness you find underneath. The 'religious saint' most people point to as a "doer of good" in this world is the late Mother Teresa. However, when you look at her life with secular glasses on she is less than saintly. Chris Hitchens is great on exposing the old bat.
    Most people in the world are good people, when you seperate people out into their different religions (and athiests) , most people are still generally good. They are evil people that are religious and there are evil people that are not.

No, I'm sure child rape goes on inside all religions, I don't have a special agenda against the RCs,
    ................and Athiests aswell.