Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10192021 ... LastLast

Thread: The God Thread

Re: The God Thread

I must have got the wrong impression with your username being 'The Holy Bottom Burp'!.

Do they welcome the kind of free wheeling spirited debates that we value on here?.

Re: The God Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus
    I must have got the wrong impression with your username being 'The Holy Bottom Burp'!.

Do they welcome the kind of free wheeling spirited debates that we value on here?.
    Yeah, they are good sports, they take my name in good humour. I actually think the name encourages them to engage with me, because they think somebody with a jokey handle like that is probably shallow, has never thought deeply about life's 'big questions' so is in need of salvation. Not true of course, I have pondered the 'meaning of life' a lot, and although I don't actually believe there is a meaning in absolute terms, I still find it a fascinating subject. The debates can be quite protracted (and 'technical' at times in terms of theology) but are usually friendly. If you're interested in that sort of thing I'd recommend listening to the "Unbelievable" show they put out on a Saturday, debates between an atheist and a theist usually, and they make for good listening (they podcast it if you're too busy to listen on a Saturday).
    He's magic you kno-oow, Mauricio Poch-ett-ino!

Shock news, religious people understand the realities of the world less well than unbelievers. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...-a7378896.html I'm flabbergasted, I can truthfully say my gasts have never been so flabbered. I love the quote at the end of the article
    Previous studies have suggested religious people tend to have a lower IQ and are more likely to believe literally in what scientists called “bullshit statements” including phrases like “Earth wants water” and “Force knows its direction”.
    In fairness I don't think it is just scientists who would describe those phrases as bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Hill View Post
    So what you're saying is that Jesus DIDN'T rise from the dead and Mohammed DIDN'T ascend to heaven on a winged horse?
    It's beginning to look that way...
    BTW Christianity doesn't peddle nonsense like a man ascending into heaven on a horse, it says Jesus ascended on a cloud, and clouds float but horses don't right? Makes perfect sense to me.

Always something I worried about with Trump coming into power, religion (let's face it Christianity is what we are talking about) acquiring more power and influence in America. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39798989 "We will not allow people of faith to be targeted, bullied or silenced ever again" he says. F*ck off you moron, the fact is these arseholes get way more courtesy, respect, exposure and influence than their snake oil deserves. As it happens the proposed legislation does little more than further guarantee the tax exempt status of religious organisations, but it does allow them to deny staff provision of birth control on religious grounds. Great, lets keep it ignorant and superstitious in the most powerful country in the world, let's keep it 17th Century.
    He's magic you kno-oow, Mauricio Poch-ett-ino!

http://www.scotsman.com/regions/dund...ndee-1-4604089

Bleedin Christians up to no good again. Its obvious that Jesus was a Sith Lord...