Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rooney v Charlton

Re: Rooney v Charlton

To be fair to Rooney he has often done well in friendlies and qualifiers to help us get to the tournaments but when it
    really mattered against a quality opponent he has always failed to deliver pretty much like all our other so called world class players.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipster
    and 2 against Croatia where you (England) lost..
    Actually we won that one!

Quote Originally Posted by Hams
    To be fair to Rooney he has often done well in friendlies and qualifiers to help us get to the tournaments but when it
    really mattered against a quality opponent he has always failed to deliver pretty much like all our other so called world class players.
    i guess the question you need to ask yourself is would other strikers have contributed just as much in his place?

a resounding yes from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Tipster
    he must have scored some important goals.
    he's played for england for about 12 years now hasn't he?

which goals of his were actually vitally important?
    I can only think of one that was important, the goal against Ukraine in Euro 2012, important but I wouldn't say vitally important.

I did hear of 1 stat yesterday that although he is now level with Linekar, 20 of his goals were against countries that didn't exist when Lineker hung up his boots for England in 1992!
    pretty abysmal that, isn't it.

No contest Charlton was (and still is) the perfect gentleman and a very fine footballer to boot who very seldom had an off day on the pitch whereas Rooney's off days far outweigh the ones when he puts in a decent shift

Bobby Charlton without a doubt the better of the two. My Dad's favorite player because he had class and played in every minute of every game for the most part. I was never a man u fan ,but i resected Bobby highly.

So Wazza is now the record scorer for England with 50 goals.
    Shouldn't a statue of him be erected outside Wembley stadium plus
    a knighthood given from the Queen to give him the official title Sir Wayne Rooney?

So Wazza is now the record scorer for England with 50 goals.
    Shouldn't a statue of him be erected outside Wembley stadium plus
    a knighthood given from the Queen to give him the official title Sir Wayne Rooney?
    I'd vote for that...just as soon as he wins us the next Euros and WC, being top scorer in both tournaments, and scoring a hat trick against Germany in the Euros final, and, um, Germany in the WC final.
    He's magic you kno-oow, Mauricio Poch-ett-ino!

There is a documentary on BBC1 tonight about Wayne Rooney which might be worth a watch as there is no football to view.

There is a documentary on BBC1 tonight about Wayne Rooney which might be worth a watch as there is no football to view.

i think i'd rather watch a blank screen.