Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: Rooney v Charlton

Wayne Rooney has retired from
    International football on 53 goals above Bobby Charlton's record.

What's depressing though Is the fact Southgate called Rooney to put him in the side and Rooney had to tell Southgate he's retiring.

It's sad that even the player accepts he's passed it before the manager recognises it.

I like Southgate but him calling on Rooney again was face palming stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokers View Post
    What's depressing though Is the fact Southgate called Rooney to put him in the side and Rooney had to tell Southgate he's retiring.
    yep, I came here to say exactly that. that anyone should effectively refuse a call up is scandalous enough, however what we have here is a manager seemingly so out of the loop with his senior players that he doesn't even know what's going on until they slam the door in his face.

nobody comes out of it with any credit and yet the entirety of the coverage has been a sycophantic outpouring of admiration for "Wazza". nobody has stopped and thought that he has refused a call up to the squad and, as far as the manager and FA seem to be concerned, announced his decision to 'retire' during that very phone call.

once the dust has settled I think it is a positive move for the England team as a whole but, as always, it has been handled shabbily to say the least.