Page 64 of 64 FirstFirst ... 14546364

Thread: 2016 US Presidential Election

I think this was more of a case of Trump getting his facts
    wrong rather than it being fake news.
    There was a terrorist attack in Pakistan last weekend in an area with a name that sounds like Sweden.

Still it wouldn't do any harm to put IKEA under CIA watch as I've heard
    all sorts of suspicious activities take place in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Hill View Post
    what shady business and politics?
    Latest would be he's China trademark stuff. Perhaps there isn't much story in it or perhaps he's plan is actually working But he apparently is still in control of he's businesses. I wonder how much he charges secret service to stay at he's Florida estates aswell. He spent lot of tweeting time criticizing how much Obama's vacations cost tax payers money. During the 8 years I think it was something like 80 million. If Trump continues like this it will be 1,5 billion for 8 years or something like that I heard. About the policies we just have to wait and see cause he doesn't seem very interested in doing any governing. But I expect him to pass stuff that he's core supporters will not be very thrilled about.

of course he likes to be loved and centre of attention, politicians generally do. You might recall Trumps predecessor singing songs and dancing on TV or Trump's opponent wheeling out celebrities to bask in their reflective glory.
    Yea that's what politics do to get people vote for them. Seems like Trump want's people to vote for him so he can do more of the stuff.

these rallies are actually very interesting. it allows him an opportunity to speak to people directly rather than through the medium of the media. much like his twitter feed which has been so derided. This is a President who is actively making himself available to the people and calling out the media in any way he can. its a novel approach and, as an outsider, I very much enjoy it. if it can influence a shift in politics from the 'media savvy' oily type crap we endured under Blair and Cameron then it is to be applauded.
    He's just calling out the media that criticizes him. Or just quotes what ever he says. Very great stuff. You can write lies but if it makes him look good then he will propably praise you.

when he speaks, even in crowds, he talks as though he is in a one to one conversation rather than conducting a speech. he clearly isn't a skilled orator and is about as unpolished as you can get in terms of public speaking. in conversational terms you'd have the chance to ask him what he meant or delve into it more but in this setting that opportunity doesn't happen and so when his mis-speaks he just carries on without elaboration.
    What kind of conversations do you think happens in he's rallies? Have you ever read anything he tweets or watched any of he's press conferences?

aside from his fudged wording, he is absolutely right to raise concern about events in Sweden in recent years. nobody will want to talk about it though for obvious reasons.
    Yes Sweden is a disaster but if he had talked about that instead of saying "Look what happened in Sweden last night" and leaving it for the media to figure out what the hell he is talking about again it wouldn't be a thing. This administration just informed us about imaginary massacre after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hams View Post
    I think this was more of a case of Trump getting his facts
    wrong rather than it being fake news.
    There was a terrorist attack in Pakistan last weekend in an area with a name that sounds like Sweden.
    What place? Didn't Trump already explain he was talking about Sweden?

Still it wouldn't do any harm to put IKEA under CIA watch as I've heard
    all sorts of suspicious activities take place in there.
    Perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by IamMelGibson View Post
    Latest would be he's China trademark stuff. Perhaps there isn't much story in it or perhaps he's plan is actually working But he apparently is still in control of he's businesses. I wonder how much he charges secret service to stay at he's Florida estates aswell. He spent lot of tweeting time criticizing how much Obama's vacations cost tax payers money. During the 8 years I think it was something like 80 million. If Trump continues like this it will be 1,5 billion for 8 years or something like that I heard. About the policies we just have to wait and see cause he doesn't seem very interested in doing any governing. But I expect him to pass stuff that he's core supporters will not be very thrilled about..
    wasn't China one of the countries people were saying there was a risk would go to war with a USA under Trump? yet now it seems them doing something to butter him up is a problem. SO Trump has the USA on good terms with China and Russia. but that's a bad thing.

he's also met with the leader of the UK, Canada and Japan. so he's pretty much completed a full house of pleasant diplomatic relations with most of the major players on the world stage. I'm not sure who is next on the meet list but foreign relations seems to be going quite well.

I don't know the figures of the secret service stuff. given the very obvious, constant and consistent threat to his life from Americans I'm sure you can understand why they're there though. perhaps he should live under house arrest in the White House?

if he is taking the p*ss then I don't expect he'll get away with it though. certainly its a valid criticism to make if that is shown to be the case.

He's just calling out the media that criticizes him. Or just quotes what ever he says. Very great stuff. You can write lies but if it makes him look good then he will propably praise you..
    What lies have been written in the media that makes him look good?

What kind of conversations do you think happens in he's rallies? Have you ever read anything he tweets or watched any of he's press conferences?.
    conversations don't happen, that was my point. he's going off talking at a crowd in the way he would talk to a mate. when he said about 'last night' in a conversation the other person would ask for clarification on that point and he'd then elaborate and explain what he meant. obviously this cant and don't happen in a rally setting. I really don't see the big deal about this having given a reasonable explanation.

I've got far better things to do than watch a foreign nations press conferences in their entirety but have seen some highlights when the British media have drawn certain things to my attention, such as this. I'd read an article and then do my own digging to find out what the issue is as it isn't always apparent from the article. more often than not its presented to me in a way that implies I should be angry or annoyed by it but without providing an explanation for why. I'm still at a loss as to what the problem is/was with the Flynn thing besides him apparently lying to Pence.

similarly with his tweets, when they're brought to my attention i'll have a look. I don't have a twitter account and so don't regularly look on there for him or anyone else.

Yes Sweden is a disaster but if he had talked about that instead of saying "Look what happened in Sweden last night" and leaving it for the media to figure out what the hell he is talking about again it wouldn't be a thing. This administration just informed us about imaginary massacre after all.
    I completely agree. the delivery of his messages is often atrocious and he is his own worst enemy in giving his opponents a glimmer of ammo to use against him. if he isn't word perfect they'll savage him - since he is barely ever word perfect he's constantly having to double back and explain himself because they've come up with their own explanation. he should have learnt this from the whole 'Mexican rapists' thing.

to me it was quite clear he said "their rapists" but the consistent reporting has been (and still is) that he said "they're rapists".

you've again made the mistake (much trumpeted by the media) of claiming he "informed you about an imaginary massacre". he did no such thing and that is simply not true.

he certainly needs to up his game on his preparation and delivery of speeches, no question of that.

wasn't China one of the countries people were saying there was a risk would go to war with a USA under Trump? yet now it seems them doing something to butter him up is a problem. SO Trump has the USA on good terms with China and Russia. but that's a bad thing.
    If he's basing he's foreign policy on whether it helps he's businesses or not it is a bad thing.

he's also met with the leader of the UK, Canada and Japan. so he's pretty much completed a full house of pleasant diplomatic relations with most of the major players on the world stage. I'm not sure who is next on the meet list but foreign relations seems to be going quite well.
    He's at one point pissed off pretty much everyone so I'm not sure what you mean.

I don't know the figures of the secret service stuff. given the very obvious, constant and consistent threat to his life from Americans I'm sure you can understand why they're there though. perhaps he should live under house arrest in the White House?

if he is taking the p*ss then I don't expect he'll get away with it though. certainly its a valid criticism to make if that is shown to be the case.
    Of course he doesn't have to live in White House. He doesn't have to work either if he does not wish. But how does this make him a good president?

What lies have been written in the media that makes him look good?
    Everything breitbart and infowards write I suppose.

conversations don't happen, that was my point. he's going off talking at a crowd in the way he would talk to a mate. when he said about 'last night' in a conversation the other person would ask for clarification on that point and he'd then elaborate and explain what he meant. obviously this cant and don't happen in a rally setting. I really don't see the big deal about this having given a reasonable explanation.

I've got far better things to do than watch a foreign nations press conferences in their entirety but have seen some highlights when the British media have drawn certain things to my attention, such as this. I'd read an article and then do my own digging to find out what the issue is as it isn't always apparent from the article. more often than not its presented to me in a way that implies I should be angry or annoyed by it but without providing an explanation for why. I'm still at a loss as to what the problem is/was with the Flynn thing besides him apparently lying to Pence.

similarly with his tweets, when they're brought to my attention i'll have a look. I don't have a twitter account and so don't regularly look on there for him or anyone else.
    When people ask him to clarify things in press conferences it necessarily doesn't make it any better though. Perhaps Trump could tell more about the Flynn case but he says he was fired because of media told lies about him or something. I suppose when he gets he's words straight we will one day find out.

I completely agree. the delivery of his messages is often atrocious and he is his own worst enemy in giving his opponents a glimmer of ammo to use against him. if he isn't word perfect they'll savage him - since he is barely ever word perfect he's constantly having to double back and explain himself because they've come up with their own explanation. he should have learnt this from the whole 'Mexican rapists' thing.

to me it was quite clear he said "their rapists" but the consistent reporting has been (and still is) that he said "they're rapists".
    I don't remember anymore. Didn't he say they send us their rapists?

you've again made the mistake (much trumpeted by the media) of claiming he "informed you about an imaginary massacre". he did no such thing and that is simply not true.
    I never said Trump himself said that. But it's worrying if he's staff is as incoherent as him. Or just making things up.

he certainly needs to up his game on his preparation and delivery of speeches, no question of that.
    Or what? I very much doubt he will change anything.

If he's basing he's foreign policy on whether it helps he's businesses or not it is a bad thing.
    Something could help both his business and the country at the same time. is that still a bad thing?

He's at one point pissed off pretty much everyone so I'm not sure what you mean.
    Has he? which foreign countries has he pissed off? Iran? who else?

Of course he doesn't have to live in White House. He doesn't have to work either if he does not wish. But how does this make him a good president?.
    sorry, you've lost me here.

Everything breitbart and infowards write I suppose.
    I thought the common thought was that these were not considered media outlets and were some sort of "alternative media"? are you now telling me that they are legitimate media sources? if not, which legitimate media sources have made up lies that have benefitted Trump - and what were those lies?

When people ask him to clarify things in press conferences it necessarily doesn't make it any better though. Perhaps Trump could tell more about the Flynn case but he says he was fired because of media told lies about him or something. I suppose when he gets he's words straight we will one day find out.
    I was under the impression Trump has stated Flynn was fired for lying to Pence? didn't he say that?

separately to that he has attacked the media for their coverage on this story and, in particular, expressed concern about the leaking of classified information.

I don't remember anymore. Didn't he say they send us their rapists?.
    Yes in the context that its unlikely the "brightest and best" of Mexico will be among those illegally entering the United States.

Or what? I very much doubt he will change anything.
    Or he'll forever waste hour after hour elaborating on what he was saying the previous day or whatever. he may not change anything, but it will be to his detriment. he doesn't need to change the tone but he does need to change the specificity of what he's saying.

Something could help both his business and the country at the same time. is that still a bad thing?
    It might not be a bad thing if every decision he makes regarding he's businesses coincidentally helps the country but it think the law also says that he shouldn't be doing this. And pissing of China only to get them give him better deals isn't going to help US I feel.

Has he? which foreign countries has he pissed off? Iran? who else?
    The 7 banned countries. China. Russia. Mexico. I doubt leader of foreign countries pay that much attention to what he is speaking anymore though and just wait and see what he will do.

sorry, you've lost me here.
    I understand part of the reason presidents live in white house is that they also work there. Well Bush I understand spent half of he's time hunting and golfing etc in the end of he's presidency so it's not that unusual I suppose. The cost of secret service is irrelevant to me. It's just something that Trump was very interested in before.

I thought the common thought was that these were not considered media outlets and were some sort of "alternative media"? are you now telling me that they are legitimate media sources? if not, which legitimate media sources have made up lies that have benefitted Trump - and what were those lies?
    They aren't considered legitimate media outlets generally. But they are by Trump. The guy that ran breitbart is he's senior adviser. Today I read that Alex Jones of infowars is also being given some position in the administration.

I was under the impression Trump has stated Flynn was fired for lying to Pence? didn't he say that?
    He also said those claims were fake I think. But if he was fired because he failed to inform or lied to Pence that would be pretty incredible as well since nobody in their administration seems to know what others are doing. But I'm confident we will hear more of Flynn in the future.

separately to that he has attacked the media for their coverage on this story and, in particular, expressed concern about the leaking of classified information.
    Well leaking classified information is a serious thing. But he says all those news about leaks are fake then in the same sentence says the leaks are real. If they are real they give pretty funny picture of he's governing. There's never been as much leaks as now I understand so seems that nobody trusts him.

Yes in the context that its unlikely the "brightest and best" of Mexico will be among those illegally entering the United States.
    Were the best among those who travelled to America in the first place? I still don't think calling them rapists and thieves is a good idea. Well. Unless you are running for president of couse

Or he'll forever waste hour after hour elaborating on what he was saying the previous day or whatever. he may not change anything, but it will be to his detriment. he doesn't need to change the tone but he does need to change the specificity of what he's saying.
    I think he will go on with he's ramblings and people are pretty used to it by now I feel. I think and hope that everyone will start paying more attention to he's policies now.

It might not be a bad thing if every decision he makes regarding he's businesses coincidentally helps the country but it think the law also says that he shouldn't be doing this. And pissing of China only to get them give him better deals isn't going to help US I feel..
    Does it? so how can he, as a businessman, possibly benefit the national economy in a way that would have no financial benefit for one of his many business ventures?

did he p*ss China off? the Chinese culture is one of respecting authority and about honour. if they were p*ssed off they wouldn't be handing out favours. it seems to me that China have extended a hand of friendship.

The 7 banned countries. China. Russia. Mexico. I doubt leader of foreign countries pay that much attention to what he is speaking anymore though and just wait and see what he will do..
    who is bothered about the regimes in the 7 banned countries, seriously? how are they going to be of any benefit to the American people and/or their economy? how on earth has he p*ssed off China and Russia? isn't the problem that he's actually getting 'too cosy' with this nations?

and Mexico? they need the US more than the US need them so I cant see them cutting their nose off to spite their face.

I understand part of the reason presidents live in white house is that they also work there. Well Bush I understand spent half of he's time hunting and golfing etc in the end of he's presidency so it's not that unusual I suppose. The cost of secret service is irrelevant to me. It's just something that Trump was very interested in before..
    yep, and again, if he is taking the p*ss in terms of a burden on the public purse then I'd fully expect it to be scrutinised and him dug out about it. perfectly legitimate thing to pull him up on and criticise him for.

Today I read that Alex Jones of infowars is also being given some position in the administration..
    :loL: really? now that is funny. what job is he giving him? do you have a link?

He also said those claims were fake I think. But if he was fired because he failed to inform or lied to Pence that would be pretty incredible as well since nobody in their administration seems to know what others are doing. But I'm confident we will hear more of Flynn in the future..
    lying to Pence before he gets up on a public platform to defend the bloke is pretty serious in my book. the sacking was perfectly justified in that scenario. you seem to imply that Flynn is somehow a victim in this?

Well leaking classified information is a serious thing. But he says all those news about leaks are fake then in the same sentence says the leaks are real. If they are real they give pretty funny picture of he's governing. There's never been as much leaks as now I understand so seems that nobody trusts him..
    well yes there are obviously a lot of snakes in the pit with allegiances to the previous regime across all of the administrative services and particularly in the intelligence world. its no surprise they're seeking to undermine him at every turn.

Were the best among those who travelled to America in the first place? I still don't think calling them rapists and thieves is a good idea. Well. Unless you are running for president of couse.
    those that go to America legally are, by definition, going to be more desirable than those that go there illegally. I don't see that as a controversial point. those that go illegally do so usually because they have something to hide and I don't think its a stretch to suggest that there will be a significant criminal element among them (aside from the criminal offence of illegal entry obviously).

I think he will go on with he's ramblings and people are pretty used to it by now I feel. I think and hope that everyone will start paying more attention to he's policies now.
    that's something I wholeheartedly agree with. focus on the policies, the important stuff.