Page 77 of 77 FirstFirst ... 27677677

Thread: 2016 US Presidential Election

Quote Originally Posted by Steely View Post
    personally, I wouldn't class playing the anthem as a political thing.
    I half agree but it started as a protest against the song which is seen as racist so there's that. Personally I don't know if it's racist. More like anti anti-slavery.

Quote Originally Posted by IamMelGibson View Post
    I half agree but it started as a protest against the song which is seen as racist so there's that. Personally I don't know if it's racist. More like anti anti-slavery.
    what? the anthem is racist? which part of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Steely View Post
    what? the anthem is racist? which part of it?
    https://theintercept.com/2016/08/28/...on-of-slavery/

They rarely get to the part and most people don't even know how it goes apparently but it gloats about death of freed slaves who fought with the British against the American rebels or something.

Quote Originally Posted by IamMelGibson View Post
    https://theintercept.com/2016/08/28/...on-of-slavery/

They rarely get to the part and most people don't even know how it goes apparently but it gloats about death of freed slaves who fought with the British against the American rebels or something.
    thanks for the link, I'm fascinated by stuff like that. It looks like there is a debate to be had but I don't think the line is so much gloating the death of slaves as much as it is gloating about the demise of those fighting against them. I presume by 'hirelings' they're referring to mercenaries or US traitors and, maybe, they're including slaves in that idea of traitors fighting against the US. obviously today we can appreciate that a slave would have no affiliation with the nation of its captors but you can see that back then they'd probably be considered as treacherous for taking up arms on behalf of the US enemies.

the bigger question of whether that is relevant today is obviously a debate to be had. arguably that nations obsession with race means it will always retain a relevance. the trouble is, we're always a product of our time and society and culture take giant leaps each generation and so anything we penned today that was considered the uppermost progressive song of our time would probably not age well 300 years from now.

President Chump is in the news again after re-tweeting videos originally posted by UK Facist group Britain First showing violence by Muslims in various situations. This has been condemned by world leaders including our own caretaker PM who was also quick to defend our 'special relationship' with the U.S.

There's been quite a lot news about him now. Perhaps him not lasting the whole term would have been a good bet a year ago Well maybe not but I suppose some people are going to jail.