Page 62 of 77 FirstFirst ... 125261626372 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 US Presidential Election

I love those posh dinner parties though

I don't think anyone has accused the republican party of scheming with Russians. It's Trump's campaign staff and administration.

Quite a good article from the BBC here Mel http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38977644 where it reports:

As well as an FBI investigation, both the Senate and House intelligence committees are already examining Russian involvement in the election. It is not yet clear whether the latest claims will be included in their scope.
    If they DO find anything linking Russia with the election the sh*t will really hit the fan and probably bring down the administration, hard to know. Trump and Co. certainly seem to attract the headlines for the wrong reasons though, hardly a day goes by without something popping up. You cant accuse his team of being boring!
    He's magic you kno-oow, Mauricio Poch-ett-ino!

Quote Originally Posted by Pickleman1967 View Post
    Technically he may have done something illegal according to the BBC.
    the article says he was questioned by the FBI and investigated by the White House and both seemed to think he didn't do anything illegal.

Even if he did break this "Logan Act" thing or whatever it is, I don't understand what the problem is. somebody who, at the time, was in no position of power whatsoever chatting to foreign officials. how is that conducting diplomacy and in what was this different to someone like Farage cosying up to Trump?

surely, by default, a "private citizen" is wholly unable to conduct diplomacy since they hold no power of any kind? to find out the answers to my own questions I googled the Logan Act and got this:

The Logan Act (1 Stat. 613, 18 U.S.C. 953, enacted January 30, 1799 ) is a United States federal law that details the fine and/or imprisonment of unauthorized citizens who negotiate with foreign governments having a dispute with the United States.
    So its a 200 year old law that forbids "unauthorized citizens to negotiate with foreign governments having a dispute with the US".

I mean really? is that what we're going with here? it seems to me to be a draconian 'GOVERNMENT IS EVERYTHING' law whose sole purpose is to keep the great unwashed subservient to their masters in the high chambers. as it turns out, nobody in its 200 year history has ever been charged with breaking this law.

However I think the main problem is the Republican Party's alleged contacts with Russian intelligence officers before the election, the email hacking allegations are still being investigated, so something like this where Flynn says.
    he spoke to the Russian fella on December 29th, a couple of weeks before Trump came into power and long after the election. what was he undermining, the last fortnight of the Obama regime?

the leak is obviously out there to influence public thinking on the hacking allegations but I really don't see the fuss. its a stupid law.

in other words lied, doesn't look good. TBH I'm not against "cordial" ties between America and Russia (though I have to say I'm no fan of Putin), but Russia and the Republican party seem strange bedfellows after years of mutual mistrust, espionage, and general hostility.
    Yep, that's the issue. if he's lied to them, which it seems he has, then he has to go and they're right to get rid. the trouble with that narrative is it highlights how little this actually has to do with Trump - and he's the man the BBC and others want to bring down. a bloke lying to him isn't going to achieve that.

Trump and Co. certainly seem to attract the headlines for the wrong reasons though, hardly a day goes by without something popping up. You cant accuse his team of being boring!
    I don't think its so much him 'attracting headlines' as it is the media desperate to continually run stories on just about everything they can find.

I said it before, Trump made the media look like no-nothing fools and destroyed their credibility. they need to do everything they can to save face and the best way to do that is to double down and hound him and hope the cumulative efforts chip away at him.

as I also said before, Trump will be the most scrutinised President there has ever been and probably ever will be. there are some pros and cons to that but my concern is the saturation of media coverage on even the most tiny detail will ensure that people will miss the stuff they really should be reading about. the coverage on British news about Trump has already bored me to tears, I can't imagine how much it must be tiring the Yanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Hill View Post
    I don't think its so much him 'attracting headlines' as it is the media desperate to continually run stories on just about everything they can find.

I said it before, Trump made the media look like no-nothing fools and destroyed their credibility. they need to do everything they can to save face and the best way to do that is to double down and hound him and hope the cumulative efforts chip away at him.

as I also said before, Trump will be the most scrutinised President there has ever been and probably ever will be. there are some pros and cons to that but my concern is the saturation of media coverage on even the most tiny detail will ensure that people will miss the stuff they really should be reading about. the coverage on British news about Trump has already bored me to tears, I can't imagine how much it must be tiring the Yanks.
    That sounds like a conspiracy theory Mr Hill, I'd agree that he will come under a lot of scrutiny, but that is down to his (being polite about it) controversial utterances and controversial policies - lets not go over them again, we've done them to death. True that he hasn't been nailed for anything illegal, I'm not sure if his supporters would even be that bothered if he was caught out with a bit of corruption, I think part of his appeal to them is that he doesn't fit the profile of the average "suit" in power. I don't like his outlook, I don't like his views, I don't like some of the stupid policies he is proposing, but as I've said before I hope he doesn't make any serious f*ck ups during his reign, I hope he doesn't start any new wars or race riots in the US. When America is doing well we tend to benefit, but when it is sick we tend to suffer, you can say the same for most of the world lets face it.
    He's magic you kno-oow, Mauricio Poch-ett-ino!

Mate the media basically put Trump in office ,what they didn't understand is what was under the surface of American society .
    They and themselves look like fools ,totally disconnected with the real issues . If anyone made fools of themselves you only have to look at the party that Trump represents .You want to talk about scuttling in desperation ? You look at that lot doing anything they could to stop this clown winning the nomination ,when it wa them and their racist ideology that created the groundswell that put him in office .
    So pissed off they were by Obama ignoring their constant blocking of his policies and talking executive order and going it alone ,that like the whiny bitches they are ran and told anyone white that would listen that President Blackenstein was about to take away their rights.
    Trump lucked into that presidency make no mistake about it ,right place right time .You only have to look at the calamity of him running around trying to fill positions to know that. The country is a f@cking laughing stock .
    The is the ultimate reality tv show! Will of the people my ass ,if it were the will of the people Clinton would be in office today because they fitted for her and not him .

Most of us have known for years, in America in particular that , the media had no credibility ! I don't know what part of the media you gave any credit to ,but i switched them fools off years ago.

You are damn right he will be scrutinized ,are you KIDDING me? The sh!t that came out of his mouth , in the most powerful position on earth ? Like Obama being the first black president wasn't the most scrutinized before him ,give me a break mate ffs!

What tiny details are you on about "alternative fact","the president won't be questioned" etc have heard some of the crap his people have said ffs! it is the most legally ignorant front office i have ever witnessed in my life ! They don't even know the constitution .

This is a windfall for the press ,not because it's chock full insignificant laughs and mishaps ,but because the blunders are just down right embarrassing mate.
    You look at the faces of some of the people discussing some of this crap his cabinet have said thus far and you can see the genuine shock on their faces .
    I usually see them desperately making something out of nothing for rating all the time ,but this lot in office right now ,you couldn't see in any National Lampoon movie ffs!

I was watching the press conference with Netanuahy. An Israeli reporter I think asks Trump what he's going to do with raise of anti-semitics in the US. Trump answers by starting to talk about he's historical electoral college win and how tremendous it was

There is some greatness in this man also for sure.

That sounds like a conspiracy theory Mr Hill, I'd agree that he will come under a lot of scrutiny, but that is down to his (being polite about it) controversial utterances and controversial policies - lets not go over them again, we've done them to death.
    you think its a conspiracy theory that the media would want to discredit and attack a man who calls them out on a near daily basis with the platform he has?

you think its a conspiracy theory that the media would want to discredit and attack a man who calls them out on a near daily basis with the platform he has?
    Mate ,Trump and his Cronies are easy pickings for the press ,because the crap that comes out of his office even the most average civilian knows is constitutionally wrong . In effect they are so dumb that the likes of can are forced to openly discredit them because the people know they are talking absolute rubbish.