Thread: Villa land Richards

Villa land Richards

Aston Villa have signed Manchester City and England right-back Micah Richards, 26, on a free transfer

Richards has signed a four year deal at Villa Park

Re: Villa land Richards

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Bee
    Aston Villa have signed Manchester City and England right-back Micah Richards, 26, on a free transfer

Richards has signed a four year deal at Villa Park
    Probably a good signing for Villa, if Richards is still hungry to succeed in the PL. I think he should have looked for a move away from Citeh before now, but he still has potential, just depends on how much he wants it.
    He's magic you kno-oow, Mauricio Poch-ett-ino!

I've always believed that he is a great player.

I'm surprised that he wasn't bought on a pay-as-you-play deal as his injuries would suggest. Not that he'd take that.

He is from the area, so seems a good fit all round.

i just can't figure out if this is a good signing or not.

he's looked great in some games and an utter oaf in others. his injury record is pretty shocking as well so you'd have to expect there is something in his contract to protect the club against this since free transfers always command a higher wage.

one of those that really could go either way. Richards will not have a better chance to break back into the national team though. regular football is on a plate for him. let's see whether he can take it.

I think he's a decent signing if he's anywhere near his best .
    I do however think his injury woes are a direct connection to the ridiculous amount of unnatural muscles he has developed. Trying to shift that much mass around in agate as quick as it's gotten ,on a frame that is not built for it is a disaster. And i really do have to question the conditioning coach who let him get to this point physically. Looks like he got caught up in all that superficial bull crap!

Quote Originally Posted by specnur
    I do however think his injury woes are a direct connection to the ridiculous amount of unnatural muscles he has developed. Trying to shift that much mass around in agate as quick as it's gotten ,on a frame that is not built for it is a disaster. And i really do have to question the conditioning coach who let him get to this point physically. Looks like he got caught up in all that superficial bull crap!
    Interesting point, football is a sport that allows for a range of physiques, even at the top level, think of the difference in PL players like Crouch, Rooney, Defoe, and Yaya Toure for example. For a defender strength can be a big advantage in the tackle, or holding off an attacker while you pass the ball to a team mate or kick it out. Pace is another big factor as a defender, and muscle bulk can aid explosive pace, it's why you don't see 'stick insects' as sprinters. The downside is too much muscle reduces your mobility and endurance, definitely not good in a game that demands constant twisting of the body, rapid changes in direction, along with a 90 minute stamina test. Richards is young enough to transform his physique fairly quickly if he wants to - less gym work, more interval training in terms of running and he could find himself back to his best again. As daft as it sounds, it may be vanity that is stopping him from doing something about the excess bulk, I can't see a PT telling him bulk is what he needs to improve his game.
    He's magic you kno-oow, Mauricio Poch-ett-ino!

Quote Originally Posted by Pickleman1967
    Quote Originally Posted by specnur
    Interesting point, football is a sport that allows for a range of physiques, even at the top level, think of the difference in PL players like Crouch, Rooney, Defoe, and Yaya Toure for example. For a defender strength can be a big advantage in the tackle, or holding off an attacker while you pass the ball to a team mate or kick it out. Pace is another big factor as a defender, and muscle bulk can aid explosive pace, it's why you don't see 'stick insects' as sprinters. The downside is too much muscle reduces your mobility and endurance, definitely not good in a game that demands constant twisting of the body, rapid changes in direction, along with a 90 minute stamina test. Richards is young enough to transform his physique fairly quickly if he wants to - less gym work, more interval training in terms of running and he could find himself back to his best again. As daft as it sounds, it may be vanity that is stopping him from doing something about the excess bulk, I can't see a PT telling him bulk is what he needs to improve his game.
    Vanity has everything to do with it mate! It's just part of this generations make up,generally speaking!
    He's too stupid to see how it effects his career ,probably taking what little pluses he gained form such muscle gains to justify it as well.
    To be fair i think he has incredible stamina for a man built like that ,and he really should be a lot more cumbersome on his feet than he is ,so one can only imagine how good he would be if he lost about 3 stone of that muscle. He would still maintain enough strength ,but would be more agile ,but image is everything these days.