Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2111213 LastLast

Thread: Another US gun massacre

Even though we have just witnessed the worst ever gun massacre in
    US history not even this atrocity will force the Americans to change their gun laws.

Shocking news in Vegas. Feel for all the dead and injured and their families. The u.s is a great country but I would not like to live there due to their stupid gun laws. I mean they speak about their amendments as if they're impossible to change.

The cops found a total of 42 guns in this nutters home and
    hotel room plus a large number of explosives and bomb making equipment.

I think its time the Americans and Donald Trump did something about gun laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Hams View Post

I think its time the Americans and Donald Trump did something about gun laws.
    didn't the bloke use an illegal weapon? I'm as anti-gun as anyone but it appears, in this instance, that tighter gun laws would not have prevented this.

people are quick to point out that Trump's 'travel ban' wouldn't have stopped this so, for balance, I think it is important to make that point too.

it is also interesting how most terror attacks are met with a response of 'life must carry on as usual' but when it is in the US there are loud calls to change the American way of life overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely View Post
    it is also interesting how most terror attacks are met with a response of 'life must carry on as usual' but when it is in the US there are loud calls to change the American way of life overnight.
    To be fair people have been campaigning for tougher gun laws in the U.S for a long time.

I'm glad that the U.S has a Prez like Chump who is tough on Terrorism at a time like this. Im sure he will be calling for a total shutdown on all guns entering the U.S until the polticians figure out what the hell is going on.

Thats is you can call this act Terrorism?. We have no motive so far so we cannot be sure if it was politically/religously motivated. ISIS have already claimed that the gunman was a recent convert and was one of their soldiers but I don't think we can take that seriously as ISIS are quick to claim any atrocity as being done in their name. I'm pretty sure they will take credit for getting Joey Barton a job on Talksport.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
    To be fair people have been campaigning for tougher gun laws in the U.S for a long time.

I'm glad that the U.S has a Prez like Chump who is tough on Terrorism at a time like this. Im sure he will be calling for a total shutdown on all guns entering the U.S until the polticians figure out what the hell is going on.

Thats is you can call this act Terrorism?. We have no motive so far so we cannot be sure if it was politically/religously motivated. ISIS have already claimed that the gunman was a recent convert and was one of their soldiers but I don't think we can take that seriously as ISIS are quick to claim any atrocity as being done in their name. I'm pretty sure they will take credit for getting Joey Barton a job on Talksport.
    but this filth was using an automatic rifle wasn't he? aren't they already illegal? when you have a country so awash with weapons and weapons parts it really is a logistical impossibility to get rid of them. it's an insane cultural thing but the arguments are about wider implications of government control. any gun ban would be easily circumvented for anyone who wanted to do harm.

I'm not sure why you're digging Trump out here to be honest. seems an odd thing for him to be getting slagged off about?

the motive is all important as there simply has to be a reason behind such deliberate barbarism on compete innocents. actually there have been a number of incidents in which ISIS have not claimed credit so I don't think we should dismiss their claims lightly.

the attack seems too planned and too calculated to be simple mental illness. he didn't just turn up at a shopping centre one day and blast people, he effectively set up a watch tower with a huge arsenal and peppered the crowd with an unimaginable number of bullets. perhaps he was one of those narcissists who craved the infamy or perhaps there is more to it. hopefully we'll be provided with the full facts when they are known.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely View Post
    but this filth was using an automatic rifle wasn't he? aren't they already illegal? when you have a country so awash with weapons and weapons parts it really is a logistical impossibility to get rid of them. it's an insane cultural thing but the arguments are about wider implications of government control. any gun ban would be easily circumvented for anyone who wanted to do harm.
    I agree that with a deeply ingrained centuries old pro-gun culture you'll never get rid of them overnight, but you have to start somewhere. I can legally own a gun in the UK, under quite a lot of sensible restrictions, but I could also get an illegal gun if I was that way inclined, same the world over I suspect. When law enforcement starts searching people for weapons and confiscating guns eventually they become scarcer and more expensive items, the "market" begins to contract and most people discover they can live without guns. That is definitely what I would be thinking of in America's case. These gun massacres depress me but don't anger or outrage me any more, as Hams said America will never change its gun culture even if there was a similar massacre every other day. They love guns, they don't want to give them up, so fair enough they have to live with the "collateral damage". I'm just glad I live here and not over there.
    He's magic you kno-oow, Mauricio Poch-ett-ino!

I wonder if this is an act of a extreme 'leftie' hitting out at what he thought were 'Trump' supporters. That's the only conclusion I can draw from this.

It's mind blowing what possess a person to carry out such a violent act of cold bloodied murder.

I agree, it's so totally f**ked up in the states. The country is litter with nutters obessed with identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickleman1967 View Post
    I agree that with a deeply ingrained centuries old pro-gun culture you'll never get rid of them overnight, but you have to start somewhere. I can legally own a gun in the UK, under quite a lot of sensible restrictions, but I could also get an illegal gun if I was that way inclined, same the world over I suspect. When law enforcement starts searching people for weapons and confiscating guns eventually they become scarcer and more expensive items, the "market" begins to contract and most people discover they can live without guns. That is definitely what I would be thinking of in America's case. These gun massacres depress me but don't anger or outrage me any more, as Hams said America will never change its gun culture even if there was a similar massacre every other day. They love guns, they don't want to give them up, so fair enough they have to live with the "collateral damage". I'm just glad I live here and not over there.
    but who is going to willingly be the gun owners that make that start? if you're a 'good guy' giving up your gun in an amnesty (presumably the government would need to pay some money as compensation/incentive for doing so?) but you're well aware that the 'bad guys' will simply bury theirs in the garden, why would you willingly leave yourself vulnerable when you know you're not entering a level playing field?

anyone who is willing to give up their gun are most likely non-gun owners anyway. those who own guns presumably do so for specific reasons and those reasons do not suddenly become mitigated because of a law change.

how many guns are out there? how much ammo? how many parts and modification tools? how many businesses reliant on the sale of them?

I really do think it is a hopeless battle in ridding the country of its civilian arsenal.

I don't know if it's so much collecting the weapons away from the public. But if it were harder to buy guns some troubled high school kid with mental health problems might not be able to get one so easily when he feels like shooting people. I think in Nevada they do some background checks when you buy a gun from a store but it's legal for people to sell them privately so it seems a bit pointless. And as it is you can walk around town with an automatic weapon in many places which doesn't seem very safe either. I don't know if any legislation would have prevented this particular shooting though.