Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345 ... LastLast

Thread: Another US gun massacre

Re: Another US gun massacre

why didn't he use these powers much earlier on if they'll just be reversed once he's out the door?

seems like pointless political gesturing to me. if he'd done if during his first term that would at least have some substance.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Hill
    why didn't he use these powers much earlier on if they'll just be reversed once he's out the door?

seems like pointless political gesturing to me. if he'd done if during his first term that would at least have some substance.
    The gun lobby in America is so powerful, vocal and rabid it is extremely difficult to bring the smallest drop of sanity into the debate. It may be unlikely to change things substantially, it may be repealed by Republicans, but I'd give the man some points for being the first president to try and make a difference.
    He's magic you kno-oow, Mauricio Poch-ett-ino!

If a Republican takes over it is likely. If a Democrat succeeds, it will continue.

Quote Originally Posted by specnur
    I do have a feeling that just before Obama leaves office he will bypass everyone and implement very tough guns restrictions ,which will then be reversed in the court of appeals after he has left office. A token gesture for sure ,but every time another gun massacre happens after that reversal people will look back the decision to do so and enhance Obamas reputation as a president.
    As i predicted Obama will bypass congress and implement some stricter laws. But apparently the stipulations stated yesterday at the Whitehouse have been in law for decades but just not enforced. Let's see the republicans try and overturn those for the sake of it.

It just seems to me that certain segments of American society look at the number of deaths by guns in their country and rather loo at it as an embarrassment they look at it as an acceptable part of their unique country. An identity so to speak ,something that separates us from the rest of the world. I don't know if tis mentality will change over the course of the next hundred years but i fro one won't be living here to find out ,because it's going to be a mess going through the next 10 years i can guarantee it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtz

If a Republican takes over it is likely. If a Democrat succeeds, it will continue.
    He couldn't use them before the his final term or else he would never have gotten re elected ,and the last ting he wanted was having the label of a one termer on his resume. IT ames total sense doing these things in his final term in which case. Of course the republicans will try and overturn these laws that have actually been in place for decades already ,but it will show the fight in the democrats how vigorously they fight to keep them. Because i haven't seen one Democrat with the intestinal fortitude to stand up to these luddites.

I think the three running now in Clinton, Sanders, and O'Malley have enough of a backbone to keep it.

Clinton is a natural policy successor to Obama. O'Malley is out-right calling out the NRA constantly. Sanders may be a little bit closer to the center on this particular issue, but he's supported very strict background checks. His advantage that could have him be the most likely to push forward meaningful policy is he doesn't come off as a guy who is pushing forward a policy that confiscates guns (his rural background helps)... I mean, this Obama executive order isn't one either, but for some reason, the right thinks it is...

Quote Originally Posted by specnur

He couldn't use them before the his final term or else he would never have gotten re elected ,and the last ting he wanted was having the label of a one termer on his resume. IT ames total sense doing these things in his final term in which case. Of course the republicans will try and overturn these laws that have actually been in place for decades already ,but it will show the fight in the democrats how vigorously they fight to keep them. Because i haven't seen one Democrat with the intestinal fortitude to stand up to these luddites.
    So he bottled it then.

he could have put his neck out there and laid it down for the people to essentially vote on it themselves regarding his second term. it would have essentially been as close to a public referendum on that single issue as you'll ever get given the incredible amount of attention gun laws get over there.

instead he's chucked in a worthless token gesture that he'll not have to campaign on during the next elections. if he feared he wouldn't get re-elected on that basis then he has essentially hung Clinton out to dry. Cowardly move in my book.

That's a move that historically, presidents have done in their final term. They usually push executive orders that they might not have been able to do when seeking reelection.

That's a move that historically, presidents have done in their final term. They usually push executive orders that they might not have been able to do when seeking reelection.
    So he's another in a long line of political cowards then.

So he bottled it then.

he could have put his neck out there and laid it down for the people to essentially vote on it themselves regarding his second term. it would have essentially been as close to a public referendum on that single issue as you'll ever get given the incredible amount of attention gun laws get over there.

instead he's chucked in a worthless token gesture that he'll not have to campaign on during the next elections. if he feared he wouldn't get re-elected on that basis then he has essentially hung Clinton out to dry. Cowardly move in my book.
    As much as i don't trust his positioning office and how he got there ,let's just say that he his legit.
    If that is thecae then i wouldn't call it bottling it ,it's smart if there are things you want accomplished . There are other issues that are just as important to the country and himself personally that he wants to get done and in his eyes why sacrifice all of them for one?
    I would have done the same thing knowing the politics of the country.
    The one thing you really have to look at ,is the realization that the country never really got over racism ,things were just under the surface because of modern laws prohibiting certain attitudes. I think it was a shock too a lot of people black and white alike how some area of the country are beyond hope ,certain segments of society hold onto the past like their life depended on it. And that is what you are seeing now a divide in the country caused by Obama's positioning office. If Obama did one thing that i feel grateful of ,it's opening my eyes to how deep rooted this issue is over here and how it's been right here all along. Sad and depressing .