Thread: TV and Film rental

TV and Film rental

Which site or service do you use to watch media?

Do you have SKY, or maybe NOWtv?

Are you a Netlfix or Amazon Prime customer?

Just like all these free bet offers with bookmakers, you can get FREE trials of media sites for a month.

I've had a FREE trial of Netflix and Amazon Prime, and while the reviewers said that Prime is better for films and Netflix better for TV, I didn't find this to be true. Netflix was better for films. Maybe they think about what to put on there rather than what is the cheapest. I found that both didn't have a big enough and new enough collection (films) to warrant paying the 7 or 8 pounds. All streaming.

I was impressed with Lovefilm by post where they send out 2 discs at a time and don't charge any late fee's. I managed to go through 10 DVD's in the month I had with them. The great thing about this company is that you get newer releases. Still, it'd be nice to see older films in there as they don't have too much of a collection either. On the downside: you rate films by low, medium and high priority, but I didn't get 2 films that were on my high priority - so, it's not perfect.

Latest one is NOWtv which is just another way of getting the SKY movie channels by method of streaming. You also get a collection of movies that have been showed these last few months, to watch anytime. I haven't had much use out of it as I have problems with computer and streaming.

Why go for illegal streaming sites when there are plenty of good alternatives for FREE or a small amount a month? Just imagine paying 3.50 for a new release at Blockbusters many years a go, three times a month, and then you have the amount needed for NOWtv and you can watch as many as you want in that month. You also get viruses on illegal streaming sites and they do sometimes buffer. Not always the best quality, but some are ok.

Re: TV and Film rental

I use Netflix, HBOGo, and have the WWE Network. Then we have on demand on our cable provider to catch up on current series I missed.

Pretty much covers it, particularly since the "shows" I follow tend to be created on YouTube.

I'm sure the TV collection is great on Netflix but what do you make of the movies?

When I used to go to Blockbusters (physical store) There were the new releases and then cheaper classics and older films which used to be new releases. I was hoping that Netlfix would have a greater collection of classics and movies from the last few years. I find the collection to be limited, but a good quality of what is there.

I'm guessing Netflix is different in the US?

When you say WWE, do you actually mean wrestling?

Quote Originally Posted by Tipster
    I'm sure the TV collection is great on Netflix but what do you make of the movies?

When I used to go to Blockbusters (physical store) There were the new releases and then cheaper classics and older films which used to be new releases. I was hoping that Netlfix would have a greater collection of classics and movies from the last few years. I find the collection to be limited, but a good quality of what is there.

I'm guessing Netflix is different in the US?

When you say WWE, do you actually mean wrestling?
    Movies are fine. Lots of classics as well. HBO does well with more current ones. Both networks' original series are great.

And yes, I mean wrestling.

I have a LoveFilm account - or as it is now called Amazon Instant. I don't really watch much TV so just 2 films/DVDs a month does me fine. The only show i was watching on Sky Box sets was The Newsroom, I was halfway through season 1 and they pulled it from the box sets!. I had to order it through LoveFilm.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus
    I have a LoveFilm account - or as it is now called Amazon Instant. I don't really watch much TV so just 2 films/DVDs a month does me fine. The only show i was watching on Sky Box sets was The Newsroom, I was halfway through season 1 and they pulled it from the box sets!. I had to order it through LoveFilm.
    No, it's Lovefilm by post they have. Also got Amazon Prime where they offer streaming but not the latest films. The latest films are with Lovefilm by post.

2 DVD's a month? Is that all you think it is? It's as MANY as you want for the whole month! You just add them to your rental list. Did you not know this and were just ordering 2 a month? You Klutz, lol.

I loved The Newsroom and it was the only tv show that I watched religiously. Hated the very last episode though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipster
    2 DVD's a month? Is that all you think it is? It's as MANY as you want for the whole month! You just add them to your rental list. Did you not know this and were just ordering 2 a month? You Klutz, lol.

Ive got loads on my list but they only send me 2 a month. I only pay 3 a month for it on the lowest package. I know I can stream as much stuff as i want to watch online but why do have a big screen TV hanging on the wall if i'm going to watch stuff on my laptop?!.

Only halfway through the Newsroom but I love the Bin Laden episode where Don is going mad as he cant get off the plane - 'Let me off and ill push the plane to the gate!'

It's a great programme and really funny at times. My favourite bit - which wasn't amazing - was the election night where a woman tried to get back into her office as she wasn't allowed into theirs and she just bumped into someone. Was pissing myself. Or when Sloan couldn't get the airtime despite them asking her a question then having to go away to a breaking story. Obviously the Americans didn't like it as it may have been too political.

Casting was spot on.

It costs 7.99 for the unlimited package. Only a fiver. I got 10 from my months free trial.