Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41314

Thread: Guardiola to leave Bayern Munich/Ancelotti out

Quote Originally Posted by Steely View Post
    the first principle of a league system is to gain as many points as you can. the second principle is to score as many goals as you can. the third is probably to concede as few as you can.

you can tell me Mourinho's team were more 'pragmatic' as much as you want but they were scoring more and even attained more points. this forces you into using arbitrary yardsticks to measure them with such as 'style'. you may enjoy countless crab passes all over the pitch but that isn't my idea of enjoyable football. which of us is right? neither, of course. it is subjective and carries no weight in rational discussion.

talk of 'pragmatic' and 'boring' mean nothing to me. I'm interested in facts.

Man City average just one more shot on target per game than Man United. they have scored just one more goal all season. Man United average slightly more shots than Man City at home but have fewer in away games.

there is barely anything between them except for your perception. yet you're telling me we're lucky to witness this man city team and running down Mourinho's side.

I get Mourinho is an abrasive twat but this continual running down of actual achievements of his is baffling. only Cristiano Ronaldo has it worse from people.
    You're right it is mostly the style I find more interesting. Not just the goals or shots on target but the nice build up play that almost creates a chance or just has the other team bamboozled. That doesn't really show in the stats. Also I have never run mourinho down for his incredible achievements just his philosophy and his annoying hypocritical complaints like stoke didn't come to play even though his teams have done the same in many big games

Quote Originally Posted by eaman View Post
    You're right it is mostly the style I find more interesting. Not just the goals or shots on target but the nice build up play that almost creates a chance or just has the other team bamboozled. That doesn't really show in the stats. Also I have never run mourinho down for his incredible achievements just his philosophy and his annoying hypocritical complaints like stoke didn't come to play even though his teams have done the same in many big games
    yeah and I get that but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

you can and should appreciate what you enjoy without the need to use what are obviously barbed comments such as 'pragmatic' to describe others who have achieved great success.

as I've pointed out, Guardiola's style was largely unimpressive last season. this season, and 300m later, it is looking promising. whether he keeps that up consistently over the season remains to be seen. if he, once again, fails to lift the title than any style based plaudits will be even more hollow than they are right now.

Guardiola is a weird guy and probably pretty limited as a manager but I think he's good for football and premier league. Last year they were the most entertaining team to watch even when they were shit. A bit pointless of course if they don't win anything but if that is the case he will get sacked in the end.

Limited? You're having a bubble? Surely?

Guardiola seems a (mostly) polite and assertive guy, but all managers go nuts when the decisions don't go their way.

He will be a success at any club he manages, though pretty darn sure he will be a massive success for City, and win a lot of trophies.

The only way that he leaves Man City will be if he gets bored and wants to try something a little less blue.
    Last edited by Tipster; 02-11-2017 at 01:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokers View Post
    Limited? You're having a bubble? Surely?
    Guardiola has only worked with and is now building a team that has extremely skilled players. Last season he didn't really know what to do lot of the time when the players weren't up to he's standards. I doubt he could go to Everton for example and get best out of a not so good team like Mourinho probably could. Then again Mourinho couldn't or wouldn't do what Guardiola does I suppose. I think it still makes him a good manager if he can only work with the best of teams if he does it better than everyone else. But it's hard to rate managers anyways in my opinion.