Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 101112 LastLast

Thread: Pep Guardiola to leave Bayern Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Steely View Post
    from the 2016/17 Premier League prediction thread:

fell woefully short of even your own expectations.

In hindsight I'd say last season was a bigger challenge for Guardiola when you consider the players that have now left because of their age and the major injuries that were unexpected.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokers View Post

In hindsight I'd say last season was a bigger challenge for Guardiola when you consider the players that have now left because of their age and the major injuries that were unexpected.

funny how you didn't consider such a thing at a time where he needed no excuses made for him.

Yet Pep still finished above both those managers in his first ever shot at in the English league with a squad that saw the Last of the Summer wine all depart a few months ago.

I would fully expect a manager who has been in this league 20 f**king years longer to return a better points per game average ffs.

And Arsenal weren't in anymore chaos than what they have been in years..

In fact, Arsène said we improved our points compared to the previous season, so.....

Also, never mind the two key injuries on Pep's two big signings last season.
    and yet both those managers finished the season with a trophy. remind me what you get for finishing third again Arsene

just so we're clear, Arsene Wenger - a man who you think is the worst manager in Arsenal's history - recorded a higher points per game ratio that Guardiola AND won a trophy during the season. but Guardiola is among the BEST managers the world has ever known.

Guardiola's points tally wouldn't have won the league in any season. show me a club that doesn't get injuries ffs!

and yet both those managers finished the season with a trophy. remind me what you get for finishing third again Arsene

just so we're clear, Arsene Wenger - a man who you think is the worst manager in Arsenal's history - recorded a higher points per game ratio that Guardiola AND won a trophy during the season. but Guardiola is among the BEST managers the world has ever known.

Guardiola's points tally wouldn't have won the league in any season. show me a club that doesn't get injuries ffs!
    What do you mean higher points per game? He finished below Guardiola in the league? also there is no proof he left barca coz of mourinho. He has said he doesn't like to spend too long in one job. He won the league with bayern yet he still left so that proves that

funny how you didn't consider such a thing at a time where he needed no excuses made for him.
    Actually I did, at the beginning of the year.

This City side is an aging one, disjointed and I'd say not the best team in the league. Guardiola was never going to come in and buy 10 players and run away with the league. Of course he's going to need time and being unfairly judged because of his past success.

Quote Originally Posted by eaman View Post
    What do you mean higher points per game? He finished below Guardiola in the league? also there is no proof he left barca coz of mourinho. He has said he doesn't like to spend too long in one job. He won the league with bayern yet he still left so that proves that
    all competitions mate.

obviously there is no 'proof' he left because he failed in the last season but the fact is he was unseated at the top and didn't have it in him to retain his crown.

At Bayern, he took over the European champions and failed to replicate that success.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Hill
    Actually I did, at the beginning of the year.
    This City side is an aging one, disjointed and I'd say not the best team in the league. Guardiola was never going to come in and buy 10 players and run away with the league. Of course he's going to need time and being unfairly judged because of his past success..
    you said that on 15 January in the match thread after his team just got THUMPED 4-0 by Everton ffs. on what rationale is that not at a time where he needed no excuses made for him? this becomes even more apparent when, at that point in time, Man City were even BELOW Arsene's boys so no wonder you were finding reasons to excuse Guardiola.

Guardiola inherited a team that you're saying is an ageing one, presumably referring to the defence. yet, despite this, across 2016/17, he spent £113.5n attacking players in the Summer and a further £16m on a goalkeeper who is amongst the oldest players in the squad (and also just happens to be crap).

in terms of 'not buying ten players', that is literally the exact number of new faces Guardiola brought in over 2016/17 funnily enough.

let's not forget, Guardiola agreed to take over during a season in which Leicester City won the league. Conte and Mourinho were not with their clubs at the time.

Guardiola was around when Klopp almost got Dortmund relegated and when he took the Man City job Liverpool were mid table botherers under Klopp's guidance. as for Poch, well he heads up the most notorious bottlers the sport has ever known. always the bridesmaid but never the bride. I doubt Guardiola gave them and him a second thought.

so he took the job at a time where a very poor Leicester team were storming the league. Chelsea were basically managerless and in a complete mess, Man United were only just scraping Europa League places under Van Gaal and Liverpool under Klopp were nowhere to be seen.

the job he took was no ordinary job though. it was at the world's richest club in a division which was a mess for various reasons with the worst title race in history taking place. if he was ever going to come to this country it would be then and with that club. he hasn't the balls to do it any other way.

all competitions mate.

obviously there is no 'proof' he left because he failed in the last season but the fact is he was unseated at the top and didn't have it in him to retain his crown.

At Bayern, he took over the European champions and failed to replicate that success.
    You can't be counting all competitions when you give a points per game ratio. They both had different champions league groups and played different teams in fa cup. You can only do that for league games and Guardiola won that head to head with an ageing team and a team who had to figure out a new playing style. Bound to be dropped points due to those things. At least he didn't go the mourinho way and bore his way through the season being compact and hard to beat but having no real playing style. Also not helping pogba look like a 90 million pound player

you said that on 15 January in the match thread after his team just got THUMPED 4-0 by Everton ffs. on what rationale is that not at a time where he needed no excuses made for him? this becomes even more apparent when, at that point in time, Man City were even BELOW Arsene's boys so no wonder you were finding reasons to excuse Guardiola.

Guardiola inherited a team that you're saying is an ageing one, presumably referring to the defence. yet, despite this, across 2016/17, he spent £113.5n attacking players in the Summer and a further £16m on a goalkeeper who is amongst the oldest players in the squad (and also just happens to be crap).

in terms of 'not buying ten players', that is literally the exact number of new faces Guardiola brought in over 2016/17 funnily enough.

let's not forget, Guardiola agreed to take over during a season in which Leicester City won the league. Conte and Mourinho were not with their clubs at the time.

Guardiola was around when Klopp almost got Dortmund relegated and when he took the Man City job Liverpool were mid table botherers under Klopp's guidance. as for Poch, well he heads up the most notorious bottlers the sport has ever known. always the bridesmaid but never the bride. I doubt Guardiola gave them and him a second thought.

so he took the job at a time where a very poor Leicester team were storming the league. Chelsea were basically managerless and in a complete mess, Man United were only just scraping Europa League places under Van Gaal and Liverpool under Klopp were nowhere to be seen.

the job he took was no ordinary job though. it was at the world's richest club in a division which was a mess for various reasons with the worst title race in history taking place. if he was ever going to come to this country it would be then and with that club. he hasn't the balls to do it any other way.
    Doesn't matter how you twist it mate. If you offered Arsene now the chance of 4th place over that F.A Cup win he would take 4th place each and every time. In fact, so would any manager in the entire Premier league.

How you can even compare a manager and has cleared up every single European and World Club competition to a manager who has never won a single European trophy, despite being the longest serving manager is a joke mate. Surely.

I think you're looking far too much into it. I don't imagine for a second that Guardiola took an opportunity to take over at City when no one else was a challenge.

Guardiola has Barcelona contacts at Man City and its well documented that they played a huge part in getting him to join the club as manager. You over thinking that Guardiola looked at the situation of the league and thought "This is easy" is a bit weak.

Guardiola earned the right to take over Barcelona from the B team. He then put together one of the best sides the World has ever seen. He earned the right to leave and take the Bayern Munich job. He then continued his success and earned the right to managed the richest club in England.

Suggesting Guardiola is a bottler for taking top jobs is like suggesting Ronaldo is a bottler for joining Real Madrid instead of Malaga CF.

I'm not sure I know of any player or manager in their prime that stepped back into a lesser team to show what they can do?

Quote Originally Posted by eaman View Post
    You can't be counting all competitions when you give a points per game ratio. They both had different champions league groups and played different teams in fa cup. You can only do that for league games and Guardiola won that head to head with an ageing team and a team who had to figure out a new playing style. Bound to be dropped points due to those things. At least he didn't go the mourinho way and bore his way through the season being compact and hard to beat but having no real playing style. Also not helping pogba look like a 90 million pound player
    Well That's that then.

Also? Wenger had a worse away record against the top 6 teams in England than relegated Sunderland.

I'd be interested to see "bottler Guardiola" record against the top 6 last season compared to that disgusting stat above.