Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Capital One Cup Final- Liverpool v Man City-28th Feb-4.30pm

Capital One Cup Final- Liverpool v Man City-28th Feb-4.30pm

The last trophy Liverpool won was the 2012 league cup final when they beat Cardiff on penalties after a 2-2 draw.

Man City last won this trophy back in 2014 when they had a 3-1 win against Sunderland after the Mackem's had scored first.

This will be Jurgen Klopp's first final with the Reds who didn't win anything at all when Brendan Rodgers was in charge.

City are still on course to win 4 trophies in Manuel Pellegrini's last year in charge with Pep Guardiola set to take over in June.

Any predictions?

Re: Capital One Cup Final- Liverpool v Man City-28th Feb-4.3

If City play the same team & the same way as they did on Wednesday in Kiev then they should win comfortably but will the same team that fell apart so dramatically against Spurs, Leicester & Chelsea then it could be another bad day at the office.

Then again on Thursday Liverpool created loads of chances but could not put any of them away, which has been the story of their season so far. If they are profligate on Sunday then disaster awaits but if the same team & attitude turns up that won so comprehensively at Chelsea, Southampton, Aston Villa & even Man City then they could win it.

No matter what it should be a good game from 2 teams that want to & can play good attacking football. So it is a cert it will be a sterile 0-0 draw won on penalties.

Not going myself but my kids (24 & 14) are. I didn't tick for tickets for League Cup ties on my season ticket renewal so did not qualify but my son has managed to find some through his contacts & is taking his sister & his City supporting fiancé.

Yeah, two funny old teams Liverpool and Man City, never quite sure what you're going to get. League position tells you Citeh have been more consistent this season, and have scored more goals, so on that basis I'll have to plump for a Manc victory. Liverpool 1 Man City 2
    He's magic you kno-oow, Mauricio Poch-ett-ino!

Teams

Liverpool
    Mignolet,Sakho,Clyne,Alberto Moreno,Milner,Lucas,Henderson,Coutinho,Can,Sturrid ge,Firmino

Subs-Touré,Benteke,Lallana,Allen,Origi,Bogdán,Flanagan

Man City
    Caballero,Sagna,Kompany,Clichy,Otamendi,David Silva,Touré,Fernandinho,Fernando,Sterling,Agüero

Subs-Hart,Zabaleta,Kolarov,Bony,Jesús Navas,Demichelis,Iheanacho

Some absolute cracking saves in this game wanted Liverpool to win because they are the most honest club when it comes to the running of it.
    Loved Ya ay picking that little twat up and almost throwing the boy away like a rag doll. Growing to dislike the England international more an more each time i see him. But it was great to see a real man yet again burying his penalty under pressure and the wannabe miss !

Good match to watch but the Goalies stole the show .

Its been emotional? Some great football played but City always looked like they would win it in 90 minutes except after they scored they appeared to sit back & allowed us back into the game. Nevertheless they had enough chances to win the game bu we showed enough bollix to keep going & got a well deserved equaliser &should have gone on to win it?
    In the end the best team, on the day, won it but in extra time we had so many opportunities? I'm absolutely bladdered but can't complain.

We Go Again!

FT

Liverpool 1-1 Man City
    0-1 Fernandinho 49'
    1-1 Coutinho 83'

Man City win 3-1 on Penalties after extra time.

I thought it was quite an even first half but when City opened the scoring at start of 2nd period it looked
    like they would go on to win and they dominated but Liverpool then managed to find an equaliser late on and in
    extra time appeared to be the better side but unlike before the Reds wouldn't win this penalty shoot at Wembley.

It was a brave decision by Pellegrini to stick with Caballero in goal as many other managers would have selected Hart
    The Argentine keeper repayed his loyalty by making three penalty saves and will now always be remembered by City fans.

Bummer, but never thought we'd have gone this far, so was a bonus just putting up a fight!

Yeah, congrats to City commiserations to Liverpool. It may be scant consolation to Liverpool fans but at least they took a very good side all the way, I remember watching my team get beat by Chelsea in the final last season, never really got going, so disappointing. Penalties suck, a horrible way to lose a final, I'd rather they brought back the "golden goal", remember that?
    He's magic you kno-oow, Mauricio Poch-ett-ino!

I wonder if new City boss Guardiola will extend Willy's contract? It would certainly be a master stroke as if he was released this
    victory would be an anti climax and all Caballero could look forward to in the future would be a big semi against stiff opposition.