Page 28 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1827282938 ... LastLast

Thread: The Big EU Referendum/Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hams View Post
    I will wish you all good luck with that Communist in charge and I'll go back to Spain.
    That's one immigrant gone then.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely View Post

so that's what Corbyn means when he says he is "for the many, not the few".

for the many Brits and not the few foreigners. dog whistle politics at its best.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
    and that justifies police brutality how exactly?
    Where did I say that?
    It was my answer to your "police were confiscating the ballot papers" like if that was the problem of attendance. People voted 4 times the same day!!
    Raúl González Over 400 career goals, 3 UCL, 6 La Liga, Top scorer in history of UCL and Spain's national team for a decade, captain of one of the best generations of players in Real Madrid history.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
    The people of Catalonia have a right to self govern if they wish.
    Not under current law.
    First change the law, then Catalonia will have the right to self determination. But so far, it's just a region. And regions are not countries.

The spanish government is afraid something similar to what happened in Slovenia/Yugoslavia in 1991 happens in Spain. That's why they tried to avoid the referendum.
    Raúl González Over 400 career goals, 3 UCL, 6 La Liga, Top scorer in history of UCL and Spain's national team for a decade, captain of one of the best generations of players in Real Madrid history.

Quote Originally Posted by Raul View Post
    Where did I say that?
    It was my answer to your "police were confiscating the ballot papers" like if that was the problem of attendance. People voted 4 times the same day!!
    I also said that the police were attacking voters and tearing down polling booths. You disagree with the police reaction? well that's a start. All this just adds to my point that if they had embraced this referendum and got in international election officials then they could have made sure that is was being conducted fairly

Nick Clegg has published a book about how to stop Brexit and wants a 2nd referendum as none of the promises given by the Leave campaign have materialized and we appear to be crashing out of the EU without a deal. My query is can this actually be reversed?. Since we triggered article 30 then surely Brexit cannot be stopped and will happen anyway regardless of if the people wants to change it or not.

Isn't that Raul's point though, they couldn't embrace it because it is illegal?
    As ive said before, Referendums don't have to be legally binding. The Spanish government went out of their way to disrupt the voting so as to make the result disputed. if they were so sure it would not be a Yes vote then they should have supported it. In the event of a Yes vote then they could disregard it as illegal. Surely that would be better than the violence?.

never underestimate the sheer willpower of politicians to bow down to corporate entities. if there is a way to stop it, they will do so. I have no doubt about that. the question is which individuals in power would put their name to it
    If there is no deal, which seems to be the result that the EU want, then it would not even get a vote in Parliament so we would be exiting the EU without a deal anyway.

Meanwhile Austria have voted in the youngest head of state at 31 years old.

the media are stating that the country is empowering the "Far Right". again though I have no idea on the veracity of these claims or the credentials of the alleged "Far Right" in that region.
    All that I know about it is that the new leader wants tougher immigration controls which the 'Far Right' party has claimed to be their policy for many years. It seems as if they will form a coalition.

The two of them have been in bed together for years mate
    But what have they or some other company made to have persuaded politicians to be against brexit? It would probably make sense for a company like Uber but for big companies like Google and Amazon etc it would be much better in the long run to work in an environment where EU doesn't exist. Not that companies usually think further than next few years profits but still.

There's no problem in doing a referendum here (as it happened in 2014) if it's not binding, however it's ilegal that you declare independence unilaterally, even more with just a 51% of votes for YES no matter the attendance of that referendum.

One thing is to make a referendum, to know people's opinion, like it happened in 2014 (only 2 million voted over a voting population of 5.5 million), and something very different is to declare independence if the result is YES.

Violence is never the solution, of course. I would have let them vote and then ignore the result. However, all must be said, the violence we saw was the same we see in many demonstrations over the past years against the government, particularly in Madrid. It wasn't anything special.
    But it's good marketing for them to say Spain won't let them vote and hurts them phisically to avoid it. They received a lot of warnings before this happened and still decided to go on. At some point, the government had to stop it and use law.
    Again, violence is not the answer, but indepentism is based on victimism, demagogy and selfishness. They'll always make it look different than it really is.

there is nothing that will sit as a smoking gun to indicate lobbying, things work more subtle than that. but the above is one specific example of where the tentacles reach.
    You were talking about politicians bowing to corporate entities which implies the companies have the politicians shape their policies to be favorable to them. In this case the politicians were already against brexit. Where are the companies that persuade politicians to have pro EU policies?