Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Champions League revamp planned

Champions League revamp planned

An example cited during discussions with Uefa came in 2008-09 when Real Madrid were drawn in a group that included Bate Borisov. The ties between the two sides attracted low viewing figures and there is a firm desire to avoid repeats in the future by having more high-profile games, generating a bigger income
    what a hideously disgusting attitude.

talk of 'wildcards' and closed shops for the supposed big clubs give you a clear indication of the fear spreading through football's elite.

dont doubt for a moment that corruption plays a significant role in our domestic and european game.

Re: Champions League revamp planned

I say no to the CL being a closed shop and having wild cards being brought in.

If clubs like Inter and AC Milan are no longer good enough to finish in the top 3 in Serie A then they don't deserve to be in it.

The same goes for the likes of Liverpool and Man Utd in this country.

Re: Champions League revamp planned

Even more crazy ideas to keep the money spinning big clubs in .

C4 appear to be close to securing a free to air CL
    package when the new TV rights deal is announced in March.
    BT Sport who paid out almost 1 billion for exclusive coverage
    last time are likely to succeed again leaving SKY and ITV out in the cold.

Would you welcome live CL football on C4? I used to love their Serie A coverage back in the day.

Dutch league have lost their automatic CL position due to poor recent form in competition.
    PSV were last side to reach semi finals and that was 10 years ago.

BT Sport won the TV rights again for CL and Europa League
    with another 1 Billion plus deal that will take their coverage until 2021.

There will be NO matches on C4 as previously thought earlier on.
    ITV will also lose their CL highlights package so no more football on terrestrial television.

I think this is very short sighted by UEFA and BT sport and bad for the game.
    It also wont increase viewing figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Hams View Post
    BT Sport won the TV rights again for CL and Europa League
    with another 1 Billion plus deal that will take their coverage until 2021.

There will be NO matches on C4 as previously thought earlier on.
    ITV will also lose their CL highlights package so no more football on terrestrial television.

I think this is very short sighted by UEFA and BT sport and bad for the game.
    It also wont increase viewing figures.
    Viewing Bt Sport is fairly cheap - if you currently subscribe to BT internet: Which works as it should. I use the BT app on my phone for upstairs viewing when someone is watching something else on the telly.

I find it a little odd that we don't automatically have the winners of random European nations in the CL after they finish as champions in their local country. This needs to be sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipster View Post
    I find it a little odd that we don't automatically have the winners of random European nations in the CL after they finish as champions in their local country. This needs to be sorted.
    yep, its the power and money crazed protectionism of clubs that want to continue feathering their nest at the top table.

16 league winners from the top 16 ranked countries should be granted automatic qualification to the CL group stage.

I don't understand nothing with all these names...
    plz ELI5: In England, where do you get live coverage of the CL right now? (Premier League coverage would be interesting to know for me too). And what is the problem here?

Are any of us surprised that this has happened, it's for the Corporations, not about football. Who sells the most shirts within the mis-informed will lead to the demise of the Champions League