Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Champions League revamp planned

Quote Originally Posted by Simply View Post
    I don't understand nothing with all these names...
    plz ELI5: In England, where do you get live coverage of the CL right now? (Premier League coverage would be interesting to know for me too). And what is the problem here?
    CL is screened live on BT Sport which is a paid subscription channel. Highlights are shown on ITV which is free and available to everyone with a TV.

Premier League games are screened on both BT Sport and Sky Sports - both of which require paid subscription.

I say fight back brothers, join me in streaming all the PL/CL/EL games free on hooky internet websites! Sky and BT can stick their subscription services where the sun doesn't shine, overpriced and even if you subscribe to both the chances are you wont see your team play if it is small and unfashionable like Burnley, Middlesbrough, or West Ham. Cricfree or First Row Sports offer just about every game going in the top two leagues in England, and at least you are not lining the pockets of bloated capitalist pigs like Rupert Murdoch. Viva la revolución!
    He's magic you kno-oow, Mauricio Poch-ett-ino!

Quote Originally Posted by Pickleman1967 View Post
    I say fight back brothers, join me in streaming all the PL/CL/EL games free on hooky internet websites! Sky and BT can stick their subscription services where the sun doesn't shine, overpriced and even if you subscribe to both the chances are you wont see your team play if it is small and unfashionable like Burnley, Middlesbrough, or West Ham. Cricfree or First Row Sports offer just about every game going in the top two leagues in England, and at least you are not lining the pockets of bloated capitalist pigs like Rupert Murdoch. Viva la revolución!
    I see what you did there

as it happens, I have subscriptions with neither.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Hill View Post
    I see what you did there

as it happens, I have subscriptions with neither.
    Just checking you were reading the post in full!
    He's magic you kno-oow, Mauricio Poch-ett-ino!

CL is screened live on BT Sport which is a paid subscription channel. Highlights are shown on ITV which is free and available to everyone with a TV.

Premier League games are screened on both BT Sport and Sky Sports - both of which require paid subscription.
    thank you

another question tho, can you choose between BT Sport and Sky Sports, when you want to watch all Premier League games? Or do you have to get both subscriptions for that? (Pickle said you can not even watch all with them?!)

thank you

another question tho, can you choose between BT Sport and Sky Sports, when you want to watch all Premier League games? Or do you have to get both subscriptions for that? (Pickle said you can not even watch all with them?!)
    Sky and BT Sport both pick and choose certain games to watch so not all games are screened. There's usually about 3/4 games screened live every weekend of the full premier league fixtures and Sky and BT will cover different games at different times.

for example, next weekend:
    Sky Sports are showing West Brom v Arsenal at 12.30 on Saturday, Spurs v Southampton at 2.15 on Sunday and Man City v Liverpool at 4.30 Sunday
    BT Sport are showing Bournemouth v Swansea at 5.30 on Saturday and Middlesbrough v Man United at 12.00 Sunday

No British tv channel are allowed to screen Premier League games at 3pm on Saturdays (our traditional kick off time) as this is part of the exclusivity rights sold to foreign broadcasters. basically you get more choice of Premier League games to watch abroad than you do in Britain.

No British tv channel are allowed to screen Premier League games at 3pm on Saturdays (our traditional kick off time) as this is part of the exclusivity rights sold to foreign broadcasters. basically you get more choice of Premier League games to watch abroad than you do in Britain.

what the actual f***.. how can this happen?????? this just makes no sense to me..
    1. who in the world thinks this is a better and more profitable system for selling those rights?
    2. why would you let out game coverage for some clubs, when there are obviously fans who would pay something to watch these games?
    3. how are foreign broadcasters competition to british tv channels?? so why are there exclusive rights involved here?

also I don't get how you are still allowed to sell exclusive rights anyway (that's also the issue I have with german coverage of football games).. for the last several years Sky Germany had pretty much the exclusive rights to screen Bundesliga games. So if you had a sky subscription you were able to watch pretty much any Bundsliga game you wanted to. Last year the German Cartel Office decided that this is wrong and Sky isn't allowed anymore to have a monopole for Bundesliga Games... sounds good to consumers so far... but what happened? Sky Germany is not allowed to get all the Bundesliga games anymore, so Eurosport got some broadcasting rights too and offers them with an additional subscription service. So basically we have the same situation like the brits, with the exception that at least every game gets covered. But as you can see the situation for the consumers have gotten worse, because you now need two subscriptions to watch all the games. That's what I don't understand, because the Cartel Office should be protecting consumers, but they made it worse than it was for them. What should be happening is that both Sky Germany and Eurosport should get the rights to screen all games, so the consumer could then choose what ever he thinks is better product for him.

what the actual f***.. how can this happen?????? this just makes no sense to me..
    1. who in the world thinks this is a better and more profitable system for selling those rights?
    2. why would you let out game coverage for some clubs, when there are obviously fans who would pay something to watch these games?
    3. how are foreign broadcasters competition to british tv channels?? so why are there exclusive rights involved here?.
    1. I guess the profitability is in the exclusivity. if you can market a game to Al Jazeera that isn't allowed to be screened in the UK then you're giving them something valuable as it isn't available elsewhere.
    2. to be honest I don't have a massive amount of sympathy on this score and I actually support the 3pm kick off ban simply because it ensures attendances remain high. if every game was on tv I suspect match attendance would drop - perhaps not to Serie A levels but they'd certainly lower.
    3. they're not competition obviously but its easier to sell something if you're presenting a product which is exclusive to them. Again, if I go to Al Jazeera and say 'buy the rights to screen this match' and it turns out 100 other broadcasters also have the rights then the value is considerably less.

also I don't get how you are still allowed to sell exclusive rights anyway (that's also the issue I have with german coverage of football games).. for the last several years Sky Germany had pretty much the exclusive rights to screen Bundesliga games. So if you had a sky subscription you were able to watch pretty much any Bundsliga game you wanted to. Last year the German Cartel Office decided that this is wrong and Sky isn't allowed anymore to have a monopole for Bundesliga Games... sounds good to consumers so far... but what happened? Sky Germany is not allowed to get all the Bundesliga games anymore, so Eurosport got some broadcasting rights too and offers them with an additional subscription service. So basically we have the same situation like the brits, with the exception that at least every game gets covered. But as you can see the situation for the consumers have gotten worse, because you now need two subscriptions to watch all the games. That's what I don't understand, because the Cartel Office should be protecting consumers, but they made it worse than it was for them. What should be happening is that both Sky Germany and Eurosport should get the rights to screen all games, so the consumer could then choose what ever he thinks is better product for him.
    yes that's a very familiar story. we've had a few different companies compete against sky and they usually collapse or drop the rights because the price generally doesn't justify the increase in viewers and therefore make them any profit.

international tournaments such as world cups and euros are only on normal, free tv though which is good.

we will have 5 English clubs in CL next season

Chelsea,Tottenham,Liverpool,Man City and Man Utd

We haven't won the trophy since 2012.

Is it about time that our lot started to challenge Madrid,Barcelona and Bayern etc?

We may not have best players but do have some excellent coaches in our league now.

There should be no more excuses!