Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pokers Political Corner

Re: Pokers Political Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Pickleman1967
    People were making money, and unemployment was under control.
    wasn't unemployment higher when Labour left office than it was when they took over?

in terms of the banking stuff, what was stopping them regulating the bankers, pursuing and closing tax loopholes and encouraging/forcing responsible lending?

Quote Originally Posted by Pokerkings

Maybe I am being a bit naive to it. I know what you're saying with Corbyn and his 'Remain' going against what he supposedly stands for.

I read this about about his EU referendum views.

He wants to remain but wants certain changes. I agree it's quite difficult to take seriously sometimes isn't it?
    He'll know better than most that the things that need changing are things that will never change. we've been unable to force change under threat of departing the EU so quite how he thinks we can effect change without that threat remains a mystery.

Corbyn talks about workers rights etc but, serious question, what is stopping him from copying EU directives entirely with a British slant in order to protect our workers? presumably he actually thinks he can get the top job so why couldn't he campaign on that basis?

i think its clear he doesn't believe a word he is saying. he is a career campaigner who, inexplicably, isn't actually campaigning on an issue that is supposed to have immense ramifications on us as a country. frankly i'm appalled by his dishonesty.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokerkings
    I just looked up what you meant by having a daughter in those areas you mentioned.

Here are the details of those horrific crimes being carried out in those places.

I had no idea this was going on in our own country. The sad part about this was the Manchester Police hesitated and were scared to act quicker in fear of being branded racists by the Pakistani community.

The statistics show in London mostly its lone White males who target young white girls, Bristol and Bath and Black Caribbean men and the Midlands and up North actually have groups and Networks working together grooming white girls for child trafficking.

It's made me feel sick knowing that information. Just awful.
    if you look further you'll see countless Labour councils and councillors complicit with both the covering up and enabling of this behaviour over numerous years. whistleblowers hounded, papers shredded, accusations of racism and smears thrown about.

Rotherham is the main on you want to be looking up mate (well not 'want to' but you know what i mean).

Quote Originally Posted by mrtz
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Hill

Corbyn has spent his entire political career campaigning on exiting Europe. Now he is Labour leader and in a position of relative power, he has suddenly done a complete u-turn and is not telling us that staying in is best.

General consensus is that this career campaigner is either pretending to support IN to prevent yet more Labour revolt or has had a miraculous but genuine change of heart, despite not actually providing an explanation for why he has had this sudden change of heart.

he's presented as a man of conviction but seems to have fallen at the very first hurdle in order to cling onto leadership.
    Hmmm, yes, stinks of more of a political move more than anything. Who are the stakeholders on this? Are the rest of the party pushing to stay? If so, perhaps he is simply complying to the party's position as their leader even though they override his own opinions?
    This should help:

As you'll see, there is an overwhelming majority of his party that support remaining in the EU. to appease them, he appears to have totally backtracked on over 20 years of EU opposition and is campaigning with all the enthusiasm of a turkey campaigning for thanksgiving. that, to me, isn't leadership. leadership is having the courage of your convictions on an issue that isn't really about party politics. he should be strong enough to respectfully disagree with his members and say what he really thinks.

i could half understand his dilemma had this been an issue of party politics for inclusion in their referendum. however this transcends all that.

personally speaking, i have no expectations. none of them work for me and none of them actually help me prosper. it just baffles me that people portray Labour as some sort of social saviours.
    Its all down to your personal experience. I can say I definatley benefited from Labour getting in in 1997 as i was on a really shitty wage - when they introduced the National Minimum Wage it was a huge help.

People were making money, and unemployment was under control.
    wasn't unemployment higher when Labour left office than it was when they took over?

in terms of the banking stuff, what was stopping them regulating the bankers, pursuing and closing tax loopholes and encouraging/forcing responsible lending?
    True, but unemployment was higher after the Thatcher/Major administration as well. The point I was really making was that Labour are not "looney lefties" destined to crash the economy and send unemployment spiralling out of control in order to achieve their idealogical goals in office, that is a dumb tabloid myth that too many lap up.
    It is true that they could have done more to put greater regulation in place in our country, though that would not have made much of a dent on the global collapse. Know this much, the Tories will always favour "deregulation" in the business world, in order to "facillitate wealth generation" (and ensure the rich Ruperts get richer) so if anything the situation would have been worse if they were in office.
    He's magic you kno-oow, Mauricio Poch-ett-ino!

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus
    personally speaking, i have no expectations. none of them work for me and none of them actually help me prosper. it just baffles me that people portray Labour as some sort of social saviours.
    Its all down to your personal experience. I can say I definatley benefited from Labour getting in in 1997 as i was on a really shitty wage - when they introduced the National Minimum Wage it was a huge help.
    I remember Tory politicians telling us a National Minimum Wage would "cost jobs" in the days when Labour were campaigning for it - they were right it cost the nation below subsistence level jobs and prevented us from becoming a smaller version of India or China. If the NHS was Labour's finest hour, a very close second place was the minimum wage, a real boon for ordinary people and something a Tory government would never have entertained.
    He's magic you kno-oow, Mauricio Poch-ett-ino!

If the NHS was Labour's finest hour, a very close second place was the minimum wage, a real boon for ordinary people and something a Tory government would never have entertained.
    When the vote was due the Tories tried to wreck it by filibustering.

I remember Tory politicians telling us a National Minimum Wage would "cost jobs" in the days when Labour were campaigning for it - they were right it cost the nation below subsistence level jobs and prevented us from becoming a smaller version of India or China. If the NHS was Labour's finest hour, a very close second place was the minimum wage, a real boon for ordinary people and something a Tory government would never have entertained.
    Pretty much the exact same debate happening now with Sanders.

and yet you do not vote for them.

and yet you do not vote for them.
    But I did vote for them in 1997...