Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wayne Rooney Watch

Re: Wayne Rooney Watch

I thought Rooney played very well in his new midfield role against Russia and was unlucky to be taken off by Roy Hodgson.

He will have to produce one of his best games ever against Wales or there will soon be calls again from the anti Wazza brigade that he be dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by Hams
    I thought Rooney played very well in his new midfield role against Russia and was unlucky to be taken off by Roy Hodgson.

He will have to produce one of his best games ever against Wales or there will soon be calls again from the anti Wazza brigade that he be dropped.
    he played a cowardly, conservative game. backwards and sideways passes pretty much all game. whenever he went forward with a pass he generally missed his intended target.

the player he passed to more than any other was our left back ffs. Rooney played an identical number of passed to our goalkeeper than he did to Kane (one, if you're wondering).

so we have this new 'midfield general' dictating play from the centre who makes the majority of his passes to players that are behind him. some might be satisfied with that but I am certainly not. again, I'm at a loss as to what he does/did that couldn't be done by most professional football players in the premier league.

26 of his 47 completed passes were to one of the back five. that's over half of his passes to the defence. however, a more staggering statistic is the one I've already mentioned. only one pass to our centre forward while he was on the pitch. any mug can pick up the ball and push it wide. surely he is there to do more than be Leon Britton?

I have to say I'm confused by the amount of people claiming he's been playing well...

He keeps us in possession well enough but offers little anywhere else.

I suppose the fact he's playing midfield takes away the pressure of scoring goals, but when you look at iniesta and those defence splitting passes you know you'll never see Rooney offering up anything near to that!

yeah, in fairness to him he isn't playing badly but nor is he doing anything that any other midfielder either in the squad or out of it couldn't.

I've highlighted the absurd exaggerations in his apparent 'orchestration' of our play previously but he's still not impacting on games in the way we're led to believe he does/can.

from what was supposed to be our Captain, last night's performance was more shameful than most.

This fraud is found wanting yet again when it matters. never mind, he'll probably score against Lithuania in the qualifiers.

the big question is, which position will we shoehorn him into this time?