Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who will win the tournament?

Re: Who will win the tournament?

I've done a prediction competition at work all the way through to the final. Sorry to spoil the ending for you guys but apparently Belgium go on to win the tournament. Beating France in the final.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus
    I've done a prediction competition at work all the way through to the final. Sorry to spoil the ending for you guys but apparently Belgium go on to win the tournament. Beating France in the final.
    Who scored the winning goal in the final?

I would predict De Bruyne as that Romelu Lukaku often needs about 10 chances to score except when he is playing West Ham!

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus
    that means one of them has to finish 2nd in their group... otherwise they have to face each other early in the semi final

Simply - what's the feeling in Germany? confident?

people over here seem to have read a bit too much into recent friendly results for your team but it counts for nothing when the real deal kicks off.

are you expecting any of your younger players to make an impact now that Reus is out?

Spain just lost 1-0 in their final friendly to Georgia and were pants.

Del Bosque might well regret not selecting Diego Costa and Fernando Torres in his squad.

Alvaro Morata just doesn't do it for me.

friendly results are bullsh** .. in Germany they don't call these games "friendlies", they call them "test games"..
    Loew doesn't care about their results.. he uses them to test out synergies and unusual formations..

if you look up the results of the friendlies for every year you can see that Germany rarely wins any of them... most of them are draws..
    before they won the wc 2014 for example they played 0-0 against Poland and 2-2 against Cameroon....

so the recent friendly results doesn't bother anyone over here..

.. the thing that does worry is the lack of german full backs.. Lahm has retired from the national team after winning the wc..
    Marcel Schmelzer from Borussia Dortmund played a brilliant season, but somehow was left out by Loew, so there is basically no viable option left...
    ..also the injuries of Gundogan and Reus are pretty upsetting too...

after all you get the feeling here that this team is a bit weaker than the wc 2014, and that this might not be enough to win the title again...
    so ppl generally pretty confident to reach the semi finals with ease, but might have trouble to deal with a motivated France or Belgium there...

Think Simply's assessment is pretty much spot on.

I actually thought Germany might win it before but I've turned more towards France and they are my favourits.

But of course I hope England pull off something special.

COME ON ENGLAND!!!

Cheers simply, I always enjoy an insight from the natives so your post was most welcome.

the more I look at the German backline and the more injuries that crop up, the more I look at them as a team that can and will be attacked.

their group is also pretty tough. Ukraine and Poland will need no extra motivation in facing the Germans and, of course, Northern Ireland will want to do themselves proud and are no strangers to playing above themselves. so it should be quite a relatively gruelling group.

of course you'd still expect them to top the group but it might not be without its price. if their opponents are brave enough, Germany could find themselves up against it from the very start. that might take its toll as they get into the latter rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Simply
    friendly results are bullsh** .. in Germany they don't call these games "friendlies", they call them "test games"..
    Loew doesn't care about their results.. he uses them to test out synergies and unusual formations..

if you look up the results of the friendlies for every year you can see that Germany rarely wins any of them... most of them are draws..
    before they won the wc 2014 for example they played 0-0 against Poland and 2-2 against Cameroon....
    i would agree with that in any other case but if they played England , no one will ever convince me that that game is nothing more than just a "test game".

I think Germany have the best team unity in football ,they fight as one and that is a powerful thing to have on your side.
    They have good enough ability attacking to offset teams with technically superior players who play more selfish or with less chemistry ,but i just think if we play the right England team we will bet them pretty easily if our heads are right. I think that german defense is incredibly overrated and our lads could exploit them. I think more team will worry about this England team than any before ,because we have young players that play without fear . It's just a pity we still have them spurs players that got battered by 10 man Newcastle . That worries me more than anything .

I don't get the feeling that anyone overrates the german defence tho ..it's pretty clear that this is their weak spot as I stated