Thread: Europa League Final-Liverpool v Sevilla-18th May

Re: Europa League Final-Liverpool v Sevilla-18th May

FT

Liverpool 1-3 Sevilla
    1-0 Sturridge 35'
    1-1 Gamerio 46'
    1-2 Coke 64'
    1-3 Coke 70'

Sevilla win the Europa for a record 3rd time in a row and qualify for next seasons CL.

It was a deserved win for the Spanish side who were brilliant in 2nd half right from the referees whistle.

Liverpool who had been doing a great job with their high level pressing in 1st period were just non existent in second half.

Coke certainly put the fizz into Andalusians and Ever Banega was great also who will be leaving for Inter Milan in summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Hill
    a disappointing, if predictable lack of coverage about the brawl between fans in the stands.

our cowardly media simply do not dare touch them.

Has been mentioned on Talksport radios hourly news headlines this morning.

The problem was that there were Liverpool and Sevilla fans sitting together in neutral stands but no stewards or police.

It was always going to be a joke to hold this final in such a small stadium and in Basle,Switzerland of all places! Massive balls up by UEFA here.

Quote Originally Posted by specnur
    Tales of two halves this game Liverpool bossing the 1st Villareal the second.
    What a finish form Sturridge ,one of the best goals i have seen this year ,and that is coming form someone who can't stand the bloke.
    I can't help but to wonder what might have been if the ref would have called at least 2 of the 3 hand balls in Liverpool's favour !
    But second half the Spanish side were just superior with their technique and it showed .
    I really do think Spanish teams want this tournament more than English teams,that's not to say Liverpool didn't want to win ,be cause it was obvious they did.But Villareal wanted it more and were willing to do anything in order to get be it handballs ,asking for cards or diving and feigning injury .Our teams will always be at a disadvantage with our honesty and i think we have to play the game like they do. The sigh test bit of contact from behind go down , slightest tap on your ankle roll around like your foot is hanging off ,there is no question i would be telling my players to do that .

Better team won.
    Rami acting like he got hit my lightning when Origi grazed his face was the big incident for me. Pathetic. I will say, one of the reasons I tolerate the lack of skill in the MLS is because it's straight-forward football. If someone goes down for a foul, more often than not, it was because of a force that will take any professional athlete down. Rami would have probably been on the receiving end of a hit worthy of his reaction had he pulled that crap here.

Either way, we were outplayed. No distinguishable shape to our game when the equalizer went in. Kolo Toure, the only one to keep his head. Whatever mileage he had in those legs for the rest of his career might have been used up yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Hams
    a disappointing, if predictable lack of coverage about the brawl between fans in the stands.

our cowardly media simply do not dare touch them.

Has been mentioned on Talksport radios hourly news headlines this morning.

The problem was that there were Liverpool and Sevilla fans sitting together in neutral stands but no stewards or police.

It was always going to be a joke to hold this final in such a small stadium and in Basle,Switzerland of all places! Massive balls up by UEFA here.
    Was it just a "brawl" between a few dozen fans or something more? If it was the former, who cares, just pissed up blokes getting violent, not newsworthy. To be honest, if it was more than that all I want to here is that the police went in swiftly, cracked some heads, and threw the perpetrators in the cells to cool down. Don't want that nonsense from English fans in Europe again, it's a game of football chaps.

As for the football, I agree the better team won over the 90 minutes, Klopp doesn't seem to be getting much luck in cup finals. I agree that if Liverpool had been given one of the handballs, it could have been a very different game, but thems is the breaks in football. Sevilla have got their name on this competition before it starts it seems, I was impressed with the speed they counter attacked, and the accuracy of their passing, lovely stuff. Their league form has been very average looking at the stats, they must put a lot of focus on this competition, but perhaps unlike Klopp's gamble to rest key players in the league for this cup final, their gamble paid off.
    He's magic you kno-oow, Mauricio Poch-ett-ino!

we don't know whose fault the trouble was until we know all the facts so no point in blaming one side or the other and none of us were there either so we can only guess.
    Any way I prefer to discuss the actual game and how well Sevilla played in 2nd half.

Moreno seemed to have forgotten where his loyalties were and allowed Mariano to have a Cafu-esque outing.

and yet when a few blokes lob some cans and bottles at a coach (in which not a single human being was hurt even slightly) there is absolute outrage. CARNAGE!!! WAR ZONE!!! SCENES LIKE SYRIA!! they screamed. mugshots plastered on news bulletins on tv, print and online. even the Victoria Derbyshire show had a feature on it ffs. and yet people rucking in the stands? nah, just exhuberant passion.

i had a quick look back in the Man United match thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Pickleman1967
    Quote Originally Posted by specnur
    What an absolute bunch of c@nts those west Ham fans were . Disgusting conduct that has defense simple as that .
    I hope they catch every one of them lady men and punish them to fullest extent of the law.
    Now i hope Man U batter them ,but i doubt it . Those players especially the foreign ones must have been absolutely sh!tting themselves and will be well shaken until they are on the motorway outside of London. I'm guessing west ham will win shamelessly because of this act .
    You beat me to it Specs, spot on mate.
    and yet here, 'who cares'.

it's a strange mentality whereby general criminal damage means people are indefensible, disgusting c*nts and yet people literally trying to do each other harm with their fists inside a football stadium isn't newsworthy.

dont want this nonsense again? mate, it has followed Liverpool throughout the knockout stages. considerable trouble against Man United, including violence and 'cheeky' Munich chants, Villarreal's coach getting canned and bottled in which the supporters were given thinly veiled praise for creating an 'intimidating atmosphere'.

I look forward to Crimewatch doing a feature on the violent liverpool supporters and the calls for them all to be hunted down and banned for life.
    Yep, you forgot to add my follow up to the original post, after it became clear the violence had been exaggerated:

Quote Originally Posted by Pickleman1967

An act of stupidity, but in fairness having just seen this I feel the radio report was a tad exaggerated. The bus smashed up Roonster? Give over fella...
    The Man Utd players were giggling ffs!
    I'd stand by what I said in terms of violence at football stadiums - sure punch ups happen but as long they do not spill over to spoil the game or injure fans out just to watch the game I've no interest. Just crack their heads and leave them to sober up in the cells. I suspect for some of them appearing on the national news aiming a kick or punch at a fan of an opposing team will be seen as a 'badge of honour', lets not give them the publicity. If the violence is more serious, sure that's a news item, and I appreciate that organised violence still goes on in Europe, but nothing like on the scale it used to. I'm sure the tabloid press would be all over stories of fans smashing up bars or running riot through the streets, and I'm sure they'll be all over England fans if they get up to that sort of thing in the summer.

Asked my son, who went to the game & was sitting in a neutral area about the fight in the stands & he said "What fight?" but did say that there were a few people shouting & screaming at each other to his left but most people ignored them. Also most of the Liverpool fans sitting by him were either Swiss or Spanish/Portuguese (he works in Portugal & got his ticket via the local FA) Something about nothing

Well definitely a game of 2 halves, we just seemed to go to pieces after they scored. Mind you they were poor in the 1st half. The officials left an awful lot to be desired they were dreadful. So many blatant penalties it was ridiculous, even Howard Webb agreed with the ref & that just shows you how wrong he was.

Oh well no Europe next season which is good as far I am concerned because remember the last time we had a season without European Competition we nearly won the league.

Surely you have to ask yourself why this is.
    I think it made a "bigger" story as it was the players "under attack" rather than opposing fans kicking off, which is not uncommon lets face it. As it happens, the damage to the bus was not massive, the story was blown out of proportion by people like Rooney claiming the bus had been "smashed up" before the game. I agree it was over reported, just a handful of idiots were responsible for it I understand. However, the media love a story involving Man Utd and Rooney, he seems to have taken over from Beckham.
    As for the Liverpool violence, if this is to be believed it was a brawl involving 20-30 fans that got stomped on pretty quickly.

so happened that i didn't watch this game, but i think Liverpool fans must be really gutted. not only silverware but a champion's league spot was slipped away and with them the opportunity to have the club's name emerge in Europe once again next season. good thing is, Klopp can now purely concentrate on the Premier League without getting distracted on European affairs. as for Emery, he's once again proved that those who questioned and even made fun of his abilities as a manager when he was at Spartak Moscow were only just too wrong as every year about the same time in May he gets to reminds them of that with another front page foto of his success