Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Portugal v Iceland-14th June-Kick Off-8pm

Re: Portugal v Iceland-14th June-Kick Off-8pm

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by specnur

I guess this is where our standards are different ,because if he can't do it against the best then those numbers mean nothing to me in selecting a team to beat the best . Wasn't there an Irish bloke a while back who had scored more goals than anyone on the international level or something like that ,no one ever heard of him at that point. Does that mean he's better than Ronaldo ? no way ,but it's where we tend to cloud things for the sake of personal stimulation and sensationalism . You never get an accurate assessment of a players true ability by looking at padded records over lesser teams.
    Some teams don;t even play their biggest stars against low level team and i am pretty sure somewhere in Ronaldo's contract he has made the stipulation that he plays in every game if he is fit to play ,just for the reason we are debating here now. It would not surprise me one bit even though i don't have any proof of it being fact.
    well he can and does (sometimes) do it against the best.

however, as I've said before, even if he didn't, over 300 goals in just six seasons is incredible. to put that into context, a star like Thierry Henry scored 362 goals in his entire career. Drogba never even reached 300 in his career.

you're probably talking about David Healy who I think holds the record of most goals in qualifying games or something like that. his record of goals is great for such a small country - he has 35 in 93 games for Northern Ireland by the way so nothing like the sort of goals to games we're talking about other such a long period of time.

if we were talking at 20 goals a season I'd be inclined to agree with what you're saying. but his numbers are so phenomenally incredible that you can't ignore them. it is rare for players to score 50 a season once in their lives. but he's done it every year for the past six seasons ffs. even if every goal was against bottom half teams (which they're not) it would still be an incredible return.
    It would be an incredible amount ,but not an incredible feat! If he did that against the bottom clubs in our league then i would sit up and take notice ,because we have more pride defensively than in Spain ,it is more a part of our DNA . But in the scheme of things his numbers would not have me ringing his agent as no top team rang Healy's . Give me a player scoring 30 goals against bottom dwellers in our league anytime over allayer scoring 50 against the same teams in La liga .

It would be an incredible amount ,but not an incredible feat! If he did that against the bottom clubs in our league then i would sit up and take notice ,because we have more pride defensively than in Spain ,it is more a part of our DNA . But in the scheme of things his numbers would not have me ringing his agent as no top team rang Healy's . Give me a player scoring 30 goals against bottom dwellers in our league anytime over a player scoring 50 against the same teams in La liga .
    he did score over 30 goals in a season while in our league didn't he?[/quote]

Yes he did, 6 years ago?
    The league today is night and day from back then ,and last season just typified how much the league has morphed into something else.

It would be an incredible amount ,but not an incredible feat! If he did that against the bottom clubs in our league then i would sit up and take notice ,because we have more pride defensively than in Spain ,it is more a part of our DNA . But in the scheme of things his numbers would not have me ringing his agent as no top team rang Healy's . Give me a player scoring 30 goals against bottom dwellers in our league anytime over a player scoring 50 against the same teams in La liga .
    he did score over 30 goals in a season while in our league didn't he?
    Yes he did, 6 years ago?
    The league today is night and day from back then ,and last season just typified how much the league has morphed into something else.
    I agree.. the Premier League has become a lot weaker... he scorerd 30 goals in a season when they were the best of europe..

Quote Originally Posted by Simply
    he did score over 30 goals in a season while in our league didn't he?[/quote]

Yes he did, 6 years ago?
    The league today is night and day from back then ,and last season just typified how much the league has morphed into something else.[/quote]

I agree.. the Premier League has become a lot weaker... he scorerd 30 goals in a season when they were the best of europe..[/quote]

When who were the best in Europe?

You mean the league ,yes it was and that is ONLY because there was only really 3 teams in the league fighting for honours ,there was less competition so making a decent effort in Europe was much easier .Now you have to battle at least 8 teams for points ,there is more competition than 6 years ago.
    Ronaldo would have a hard time finding the space he finds in La liga in the Premiership today ,it's really that simple and only a fool would argue against that .
    The amount of pressure we put on the ball in our league is second to none and that doesn't help a player like him who likes to take at least 3 looks at the big screen in between meaningless step overs to see if he's on camera!

He's product of the times ,plastic!

Ronaldos united team were better than any premier league team now and that's why he scored 30 plus goals. They are close to his real team now. Ronaldo probably wouldn't do it with united now but if his real team were in the premier league he would score 30 plus. Nothing to do with leagues and intensity just quality of teammates. Plenty of high intensity teams in la liga anyway. Look if aguero stayed fit he would probably get 40 goals a season and suarez scored over 30 in the premier league in as many games in an average Liverpool team

Quote Originally Posted by eaman
    Ronaldos united team were better than any premier league team now and that's why he scored 30 plus goals. They are close to his real team now. Ronaldo probably wouldn't do it with united now but if his real team were in the premier league he would score 30 plus. Nothing to do with leagues and intensity just quality of teammates. Plenty of high intensity teams in la liga anyway. Look if aguero stayed fit he would probably get 40 goals a season and suarez scored over 30 in the premier league in as many games in an average Liverpool team
    Obviously you are not tang into consideration the toll it takes on the body to endure game after game of intensity in relative to the odd intense match up in la liga. No winter break no adjustment in fixtures to make sure your european endeavors are less hampered . If Real Madrid played in our league i doubt if 50% of their starting line up finish the league due to strains alone and not dirty tactics. It is constant in our league ,no rest mate! real madrid would fair the worst out the top 3 La liga sides because i don't think they match up well physically to the demands of our league.

Quote Originally Posted by eaman
    Obviously you are not tang into consideration the toll it takes on the body to endure game after game of intensity in relative to the odd intense match up in la liga. No winter break no adjustment in fixtures to make sure your european endeavors are less hampered . If Real Madrid played in our league i doubt if 50% of their starting line up finish the league due to strains alone and not dirty tactics. It is constant in our league ,no rest mate! real madrid would fair the worst out the top 3 La liga sides because i don't think they match up well physically to the demands of our league.
    Ya well you don't really know if that would be the case. There are plenty of players who have come from different leagues to the the premier league and have lasted seasons without problems. Ronaldo and suarez had no problems getting through seasons. Ronaldo himself was able to perform in the premier league and champions in 07/08 with no problems and rack up goals in both. Anyway most high intensity games are between teams of the same level. That's the way it is in la liga and alot of premier league games I see.