Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Slovakia v England-20th June-Kick Off-8pm

Re: Slovakia v England-20th June-Kick Off-8pm

Quote Originally Posted by Pickleman1967
    if we had won 3-0 the press would have been screaming we are nailed on for the trophy
    True enough Pickles, if everything had been completely different then everything would be completely different.

The performance was dominant ,but i still fond myself incredibly disappointed .I know Hodgson has to utilize some of the other players and that this game wasn't necessary to win but his selections still leave me very worried that he actually knows what's best.
    I ahem said form the start that we do not need both Henderson and Dier on the pitch at the same time ,as it takes up too much creative space in the middle of the pitch. Henderson to his credit had a decent game ,but Dier was quite anonymous out there ,so you have to sacrifice on for the other.
    Without Question in my mind Clyne is our first choice at right back i thought that for months and proved it last night best player in an England shirt in this game ,but Skrtl was man of the match hands down.
    Wilshere needed a good run out to get rid of the rust and it's with him i think our fortunes lie ,because there is no other player on our team that can do what he does. Lallana has fallen way off and has almost no impact in the way i thought he would as a Wilshere stand in.
    I really wanted us to batter this team to scare the living sh!t out of next opponent ,but it's not a disaster just yet.
    We should be in the Semi's this year without a doubt seeing how the other top teams have been performing . We have got the players to give any team out there serious problems ,i just don't think Hodgson see's what i see and i don't think it is the last we see of the Henderson /Dier combo.

cheer up Hams we've qualified!
    I'm pleased that we have qualified for last 16 Pickles but only as runners up not group winners.

I think that is a failure and I blame Roy Hodgson for it.

He should not have made such a gamble making 6 changes against Slovakia.

Its a disgrace that with all the players we have at our disposal we haven't been able to have any comfortable victories so far

When we lose to Portugal on pens in the next round our manager has to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinc
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickleman1967
    if we had won 3-0 the press would have been screaming we are nailed on for the trophy
    True enough Pickles, if everything had been completely different then everything would be completely different.
    OK Mr Sarcy, if we had won 1-0 with a last gasp winner the press would have been screaming, is that better for you? The point I was trying to make is our bipolar mindset when it comes to England - deep despair and disgust if we don't win, ridiculous elation if we do. Football is chaos, as a man once said, we could actually go and blow away our next opponent 3-0, we have that potential, which is more than many teams in this tournament have so I'm still a glass half full England fan.
    He's magic you kno-oow, Mauricio Poch-ett-ino!

Quote Originally Posted by Hams
    cheer up Hams we've qualified!
    I'm pleased that we have qualified for last 16 Pickles but only as runners up not group winners.

I think that is a failure and I blame Roy Hodgson for it.

He should not have made such a gamble making 6 changes against Slovakia.

Its a disgrace that with all the players we have at our disposal we haven't been able to have any comfortable victories so far

When we lose to Portugal on pens in the next round our manager has to go.
    I'm sure he will go if we lose our next game Hams, you are not the only one with that view, even the usually conservative BBC Sport is having a pop at him. I was surprised he made six changes from the previous winning side, clearly it didn't work out but lets not forget we weren't beat (even though it feels a bit like that), I'm not too despondent about finishing second in the group. Yes, it means we may face a tough opponent in the next game but so what? If we are going to do anything in this tournament we are going to have to beat tough opponents, beating Iceland or Albania to get through to the business end of the tournament would probably just give us a false sense of security anyway. As for Portugal, they may not yet get out of their group, I'm pretty sure there would be outrage if England had only managed draws against the mighty Iceland and Austria.
    He's magic you kno-oow, Mauricio Poch-ett-ino!

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Hill
    boasting about possession in a game where the opponent just wants to defend is as hollow as it gets. England are level with Gareth Bale on goals scored. this is the brave young attacking team Roy has brought us. that last minute toe poke from Sturridge becomes more important than ever.

Wilshere has underlined the insanity of taking him to the tournament. absolutely woeful and had that performance been put it by anyone other than the golden boy people would have been swinging from the rafters in fits of rage. whether people choose to blame 'rustiness' or anything else, he was just sh*t, plain and simple. I'd even go as far as labelling him a liability in this game.

since he was brought to the squad and talked up as being this 'lock picking' genius on the ball it was only right he was started. he had his chance and blew it big time. when Jordan Henderson appears more assured than you then you have to realise the jig is up. you can't pull the wool over people's eyes any more.

Clyne was easily man of the match but our over reliance on him marauding down that wing was obvious and as soon as the Slovaks countered that by doubling up we were clueless. Bertrand offered nothing on the opposite wing and our congested middle meant it was too crowded to create anything meaningful. their keeper wasn't tested nearly enough and I'd have to question the logic in taking sturridge off instead of Vardy when the opponents are sitting deep, thus nullifying Vardy's main threat.

games like this highlight why we needed proper wide options. it stretches our opponents across the pitch allowing those in the middle to get into space. instead they shut off our right hand side and crowded out the middle. from their perspective it was a good job done well. nobody was running at their man with the ball, nobody forcing something to happen and nobody taking ownership of anything.

people will say that Roy can only work with the players he has but lets reiterate something. we finished our group below Wales. Wales scored the same in one game as we have scored all tournament - and that was against an opponent we failed to beat. They've won more games in this tournament than we have won in the last 2 put together. nobody can tell me that we don't have a group of players capable of better than what we are putting up with.

Our past 7 tournament match record reads P7 W1 D 3 L2 - 6 points from 21 to look at it in a league context.

the sooner we're rid of this mug in the manager's seat, the better.

You are correct on a lot of that mate !
    The only thing i wouldn't agree with is your comments on Wilshere ,as much s i could i se elite yourself how poor he was in this game .
    I think it was perfect opportunity of him/Hodgson to shake some of that rust off if you intend to utilize his best assets down the road ,which i think Hodgson is banking on doing. After such a lay off Wilshere will obviously show signs of rustiness. Now whether you feel he is worthy of taking that risk on is another subject though for me . You either take him or you don't feel he offers enough . Personally, i stated my opinion on this earlier at his bets no one in England can do what he can do for us ,and integral part of success in the modern game is the asset he brings even though few level below that of the likes of Iniesta. It is indeed enough for our team with blazing speed on the flanks if we us them. Wilshere in my opinion makes it incredibly difficult for any team to defend us given our superiority in wing play ,but it is up to the coach to 1) build a chemistry to use and 2) pick the right players .

The last time Wilshere came back form an injury ,he blasted him two 30 years scorchers in a row ,something i and never seen him do in games previous given his game an other dimension . Personally i have grown to dislike the lad ,but in terns of his ability and what he offers, i would have taken him without a second thought under the same circumstances ,because you just can't replace him with any other player at the moment when he's on form.

Well that was awful last night.

That's 3 games now and I have to conclude that we are pretty dull.

The tempo is so slow and we never look dangerous. We hold on to the ball far too long and just pass sideways and then out to the wing, only for a shite cross over to Vardy!

When you compare what Spain do, they pass at such a better tempo which allows them to open up the oppositions defence. They will also try a defence splitting pass through the middle. Only Jack Wilshere sent a long looping pass through the middle which put Vardy through on goal and he managed to get a shot off, which was arguably our best chance.

We didn't do enough of that and were far too typically reserved. We made it so easy for them to defend and it was agonising to watch.

If you include the Portugal game with the last three games you can see nothing has been addressed and it seems possession is the main priority.

Going through is great, but there needs some changes with the way we play if we seriously want to progress further.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Hill
    The last time Wilshere came back form an injury ,he blasted him two 30 years scorchers in a row ,something i and never seen him do in games previous given his game an other dimension . Personally i have grown to dislike the lad ,but in terns of his ability and what he offers, i would have taken him without a second thought under the same circumstances ,because you just can't replace him with any other player at the moment when he's on form.[/b]
    exactly, you've never seen him do before or since - indicating it was a freak occurrence. Morten Gamst Pederson scored a few screamers in his time. however the rest of the time he was a liability. and when Wilshere's not on form? nobody in their right mind can consider him 'in form' leading up to the tournament and even within it. its another example of a player picked on reputation rather than performance. meanwhile the more modest players of Wales and Croatia go on to win their groups scoring double the amount of goals we have.

When you can't even outperform a centre forward shoehorned into your position you're as good as f*cked. people are finally seeing him for what he is - a great shame it has come too late to exclude him from the squad but it bodes well for when we have a new manager to take us into the world cup.[/quote]

There is no doubt in my mind when he is fit ,he is an asset to the England team . There is no player that can do what he does it's really that simple. The ability to run at the defense with the ball ,see a pass others don't see ,the quickness in his decision making to make these things happen adds a dimension that England have missed for years . I don't think it is a surprise that he is making mistakes given the amount of time he has been out injured ,but he is the ONLY player i would take that gamble on because of how unique he is within our team structure.