Thread: Croatia v Spain-21st June-Kick Off-8pm

Croatia v Spain-21st June-Kick Off-8pm

Croatia threw away at 2-0 lead against the Czech Republic in their last match plus their hooligan fans caused
    trouble by throwing fireworks and flares on to the field almost severely injuring a steward but have only been fined £100 K
    Spain destroyed Turkey 3-0 in their last game and could have won by more but only played in 2nd gear for the rest of the 2nd half.
    Will it be another win for the Spanish?

Re: Croatia v Spain-21st June-Kick Off-8pm

It's hard to tip this after that shambolic draw, but going for Croatia to win @ 4/1.

Might have a fiver on it.

Wearing my Croatia shirt and waiting for my Brother to come round to cheer loudly when Spain score. I told him its a matter of if not when.

We can beat anyone on our day.

Cover the draw too just to be safe.

MARIO MANDZUKIC and Vedran Corluka with the goals for Croatia.

Alvaro MORATA and Cesc Fabregas for Spain.

Teams

Croatia
    23 D. Subaši?
    11 D. Srna
    5 V. ?orluka
    2 Š. Vrsaljko
    6 T. Jedvaj
    7 I. Rakiti?
    19 M. Badelj
    15 M. Rog
    4 I. Periši?
    16 N. Kalini?
    20 M. Pjaca

Spain
    13 De Gea
    15 Sergio Ramos
    16 Juanfran
    3 Piqué
    18 Jordi Alba
    10 Fàbregas
    6 Iniesta
    21 David Silva
    5 Busquets
    22 Nolito
    7 Álvaro Morata

Modric has been dropped from Croatia's team!

FT

Croatia 2-1 Spain
    0-1 Morata 7'
    1-1 Kalini? 45'
    2-1 Periši? 87'

That was a terrible display from the champions.

Spain hadn't lost a match in any Euro competition for 12 years but will now face Italy in last 16 in a repeat of the final from 2012.

Croatia were deserved winners even without Modric and could go far with this team.

What a performance from Croatia , their first half was brilliant .They showed the benefit of unpredictable passing and the willingness to put pressure on the main threat iniesta . I always knew Spain were susceptible to the counter ,but i just wasn't sure if Croatia could take advantage of it after the shift they put in in that first half ,but right at the end they showed they could. Another highly overrated team put to to task ,after a brilliant opening goals by them . Seeing Busquest getting caught in possession time after time with the type pressure that was pretty close to what he would face in ten premiership only reinforced what i think about the player. If Spain play Italy it should be a pretty exciting match ,with Spain pulling off the win i think.

Quote Originally Posted by specnur
    What a performance from Croatia , their first half was brilliant .They showed the benefit of unpredictable passing and the willingness to put pressure on the main threat iniesta . I always knew Spain were susceptible to the counter ,but i just wasn't sure if Croatia could take advantage of it after the shift they put in in that first half ,but right at the end they showed they could. Another highly overrated team put to to task ,after a brilliant opening goals by them . Seeing Busquest getting caught in possession time after time with the type pressure that was pretty close to what he would face in ten premiership only reinforced what i think about the player. If Spain play Italy it should be a pretty exciting match ,with Spain pulling off the win i think.
    I didn't see the game so I can't really comment but I'm sure your exaggerating about busquets specnur. Even if he did get caught a few times it could just have been an off day or sloppiness on his part. I'm sure he wasn't the only one. I saw the start of the game and ramps and de gear were extremely sloppy with possession in that opening fifteen

That whole penalty episode was crazy!

It shouldn't have been a pen as there was no foul but then the Croat keeper
    was so far off his line no wonder he saved it and its madness that the official behind the goal didn't see that!
    It should have been re taken and the goalie shown a yellow card.

Also why did Sergio Ramos take the spot kick? Surely it should have been a forwards job?

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Hill
    Spain were extremely sloppy but that is largely due to a fearless opponent knowing when it is right to press and when it is right to conserve energy. Croatia did ride their luck at times but Spain were also extremely fortunate in places, not least when De Gea was caught out and then chipped brilliantly.

have to say, I'm loving Perisic. he's bold, direct, tenacious and skilful. he looks to be a very good player and I wouldn't be surprised to see him lining up in the premier league next season. i think he'd fit it perfectly.

a tremendous result and even more so given which side of the draw each team are now on. Croatia certainly have it in them to get to the final and, who knows, maybe even go all the way.

Spain will be absolutely kicing themselves this morning though, especially after missing that penalty, although I consider that justice as it was an extremely harsh penalty to give after denying Croatia with a more legitimate shout not long earlier.

I did question Spain and this game in particular earlier in the tournament but it was great to see Croatia up and at them after their Czech disappointment. congratulations to them.
    Yep Perisic ,was my man of the match .The bloke had no ego just the task for the team first and foremost in his mind . he was ragging players down that wing at times ,so bad it was funny! I noticed him in the Champions league a few times and thought to myself "he's not a bad little player" ,but this effort in this game was above and beyond those performances. Brilliant stuff!