Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Italy v Rep of Ireland-22nd June-Kick Off-8pm

Italy v Rep of Ireland-22nd June-Kick Off-8pm

Italy beat Sweden 1-0 with a late goal from Eder to qualify for the last 16 so manager Antonio Conte might rest several players.
    Ireland were soundly beaten 3-0 b y Belgium in their last game and will now have to win against the Italians to continue in the competition.
    Can the Irish do it?

Re: Italy v Rep of Ireland-22nd June-Kick Off-8pm

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Hill
    I hope not.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by eaman
    I hope not.
    Why?
    because of the consistent stealing of born and bred Northern Ireland players to supplement the multitude of other non-Eire born players in the squad.

I read a while back that the last team to represent Eire where every player was born in Ireland was in 1975. if that is true that is pretty shameful for international football.
    A tad harsh? England could have had Giggs and Bale, and nobody would have complained about their lack of "English pedigree". I'm pretty sure we'd poach anyone with an English parent or grandparent even if they were born and raised in darkest Peru, something most professional sports engage in these days, not just football.
    Anyhoo, I think you'll get your wish, I'd be very surprised if the men in green get anything from this one, Ireland on the plane home is the forecast, 2-1 Italy.
    He's magic you kno-oow, Mauricio Poch-ett-ino!

I hope not.
    Why?
    because of the consistent stealing of born and bred Northern Ireland players to supplement the multitude of other non-Eire born players in the squad.

I read a while back that the last team to represent Eire where every player was born in Ireland was in 1975. if that is true that is pretty shameful for international football.

Listen it's not like it was in the ninethees when most of the squad was foreign born. There is still a number of players foreign born but most are irish. Anyway if the player wants to play for us and help us to tournaments then so be it. I would rather all our players be born in Ireland but it's not like they don't have any irish blood in them. Anyway its the same with alot of countries nowadays. I think Switzerland have more more foreign born players in their team.

Listen it's not like it was in the ninethees when most of the squad was foreign born. There is still a number of players foreign born but most are irish. Anyway if the player wants to play for us and help us to tournaments then so be it. I would rather all our players be born in Ireland but it's not like they don't have any irish blood in them. Anyway its the same with alot of countries nowadays. I think Switzerland have more more foreign born players in their team.
    Ireland currently has eight players that were born in the UK. I quite agree that it isn't like the nineties (and thankfully so) and you're right to say that many of the foreign born are obviously Irish, their names generally give it away. I don't know which are parental qualifiers and which are grandparent ones though.

What does grate with me is the poaching of Northern Irish players. a practice that your lot took to court to ensure you could continue plundering your lowly neighbours.

since you mention it though, Wales are the only team with more foreign born players than Ireland.
    I didn't know Wales had so many foreigners. So why are you praising them and not wishing them not qualify. Also I think somebody like James McLean considers himself irish. Most of our starting eleven are irish anyway

While I would far prefer we put systems in place to develop homegrown players it's hardly fair to compare England, whose football team has benefited hugely from mass immigration to Ireland, a county with a history of mass emigration. I'd agree the rules should be changed to get rid of the grandparents link though.

Also Steely perhaps you should do a bit of reading on the history of football in Northern Ireland and Windsor Park, to put it mildly it's never been a very welcoming or supportive atmosphere for any footballer from the nationalist/catholic community. It's not simply a case of us stealing their players but giving players the opportunity to play in an environment where they're actually supported. I'd like to think things are changing though Neil Lennon only recently had to retire because of death threats.

On the match, I'm not really expecting much from us though with Italy already through and knowing a win for us guarantees qualification, I'm staying optimistic. Sweden kept Italy quiet without a problem until right at the end, if we keep it tight and nick a goal then who knows

The difference between McLean and the other foreign born players is he probably had an irish passport before he played for us. Not sure about that though.

Well we deserved the go through. We played alot better than our last game. I know it was a poor Italy team who I'm sure never played a game together but we still had to score and a bit of quality from Brady and hoolahan did the job. Now for some revenge for the handball

FT

Italy 0-1 Rep of Ireland
    0-1 Brady 85'

Robbie Brady heads in the winner on 85 mins to send Ireland through to a last 16 match with the hosts France!
    Well done to the Irish
    All the home nations are through to the knock out stages.

All i know is that i shouted louder when Ireland scored that winner than i have shouted for a long time ,Why? i don't know ,but how emotional was that end ffs!
    Irish fans just get you rooting for their team ,they should be a role model for every fan in football !
    So glad Hoolihan put in that cross to make the goal,because you will never see a bigger bottle job than the play he had moments before that.
    Anyway all the British teams go through to the next round ,not a bad going i might say.