Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: Final-Portugal v France-10th July-Kick Off-8pm

Re: Final-Portugal v France-10th July-Kick Off-8pm

Quote Originally Posted by Simply
    it's absurd that Portugal came this far.. just remember how they got there..
    they didn't win a single game in their group stage.. only 3 draws.. against Hungary, Iceland and Austria (wtf) ...
    ...they only proceed because of that new rule for the group 3rds.. but somehow they are placed in the much easier side of the k.o. rounds..

and yet they still didn't win their first two games in regular time.. they needed an overtime and a penalty shootout to get into the semi finals...
    .. and what big team was waiting for them there?? SPAIN?? FRANCE?? GERMANY?? BELGIUM?? ......................... Wales

... there are teams that didn't qualified for this euro, who I think are stronger than this portuguese team...
    As someone who has played plenty of group and knockout stage football tournaments, I really appreciate the way they have won it to be honest. Sometimes it isn't about building form and winning the lot, it's just about taking each day individually and grinding out results. It hasn't been pretty to watch, but I'm glad they've won it. 3 wins after extra time is incredible. The strain not just on their bodies but on their minds, the stress of it all and to prevail and make it to the final and win the tournament is great.

it's absurd that Portugal came this far.. just remember how they got there..
    they didn't win a single game in their group stage.. only 3 draws.. against Hungary, Iceland and Austria (wtf) ...
    ...they only proceed because of that new rule for the group 3rds.. but somehow they are placed in the much easier side of the k.o. rounds..

and yet they still didn't win their first two games in regular time.. they needed an overtime and a penalty shootout to get into the semi finals...
    .. and what big team was waiting for them there?? SPAIN?? FRANCE?? GERMANY?? BELGIUM?? ......................... Wales

... there are teams that didn't qualified for this euro, who I think are stronger than this portuguese team...
    they also didn't lose a single game. tournament football is essentially about not losing. it's no good winning every game and then losing the semi, for example.

of those teams you mention in capital letters, Spain were not in Portugal's side of the draw because they lost to Croatia, the same team that Portugal beat. Belgium were not paying against Portugal because they lost to a team you've mugged off - Wales - again, a team Portugal beat. incidentally Wales were only in that side of the draw because they won their group, having knocked England into second. Germany did not play Portugal because they lost to France, the same team that Portugal have just beaten.

therefore there is a direct link between Portugal and all of those highlighted teams. basically they all lost to teams that Portugal went on to beat. it doesn't matter who you think are/were stronger. Portugal remained unbeaten and triumphed over the heavy favourites without undoubtedly their best player. Before the game even started you said "Portugal have no chance". I can only imagine what your thoughts were when Ronaldo was stretchered off. however despite that, they are now the champions.

they did exactly what was needed. huge congratulations to them.

Quote Originally Posted by specnur
    I guess the really does confirm Ronaldo as the greatest player of all time .Even when he is not on the pitch his energy off the pitch has lifted his team to heights unimagined.

have to say, I was delighted for him though. I can imagine the number of households that contained grown men whacking themselves into a frenzy at the sight of the bloke going off injured. so for his unfancied team mates to then upset the odds and the hosts by going on to win was a delight, not least because I had backed them at 18/1 before the tournament ,

I thought Portugal played a brilliant game and while France did have a couple of chances, they were few and far between and more often than not quite comfortable. it again puts into focus the notion that team spirit and a cohesive and unified front can elevate supposedly inferior players ahead of individuals that are at times top class players. something that I dearly wish England will finally learn from in my lifetime.

I thought Loris should have kept that shot out though, from that distance and placing it seemed to me to be saveable especially for a keeper of his ability but I was happy that one man was able to take the glory without penalties coming into play, although I do love to watch them as a neutral.

Portugal did seem to grow into the tournament and took their time finding their best line up and style but never lost focus on what is important in tournament football. of course some of their games were not swashbuckling feasts of football for the neutral but who the f cares about that in Portugal this morning?

always nice to see a new nation lift a trophy and given France have oddly hosted so many tournaments in recent years it was nice that their home advantage wasn't yet another path to glory for them. Congratulations again to Portugal, Santos, Ronaldo and everyone in Portugal - a country I am quite fond of as a place anyway.

Don't get me wrong.. actually I cheered for Portugal ..
    because I thought its pretty arrogant from the french fans to boo at Ronaldo and also this: https://twitter.com/HugoLgrnd/status...911874/video/1

I still think it's pretty undeserved and you can not compare that to Leicester who worked a whole season long for their title, proving that they were the best team in that season...

Don't get me wrong.. actually I cheered for Portugal ..
    because I thought its pretty arrogant from the french fans to boo at Ronaldo and also this: https://twitter.com/HugoLgrnd/status...911874/video/1

I still think it's pretty undeserved and you can not compare that to Leicester who worked a whole season long for their title, proving that they were the best team in that season...
    I'm not comparing it to anything, I'm congratulating them on what has been a brilliant achievement.

nobody can take that away from them, however hard they try.

oops.. it was Hams who mentioned Leicester .. sry about that

Sissoko is a beast
    funny isn't it.

a bloke relegated with Newcastle United outshines a bloke supposedly moving for 100m this summer.

Pogba was average at best throughout this tournament and completely failed to live up to the hype. I don't doubt he's suited to premier league football but he's just a kick and run merchant using brawn to bulldoze his way around the pitch. there was little evidence of technical superiority and I think Juventus will be delirious with their return should they sell this summer.

Following last nights Stade De France invasion i think the next tournament should be MOTHBALLED as it will be held in cities all across Europe.

See that's what happens when you shamelessly try and make another team's chant your own
    Other than that ,a tournament wracked with disappointment ! Moment of the night Ronaldo forcibly
    shoving a disabled with cramp Guerreiro back onto the pitch ,can you imagine the fuss if a player had
    done that to him when he was repetitively limping to the sideline for treatment on his knee

I'm however thankful for the small mercy of being spared the sight of Griezmann performing his goal
    celebration ,only slightly less embarrassing than being caught by your dad dancing to Bronski Beat.

Quote Originally Posted by redpelt

I'm however thankful for the small mercy of being spared the sight of Griezmann performing his goal
    celebration ,only slightly less embarrassing than being caught by your dad dancing to Bronski Beat.
    One for the teenagers there Redders!
    He's magic you kno-oow, Mauricio Poch-ett-ino!