Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CL-Match Day 3-18th/19th October

great result for Arsenal today did what i think they were supposed to do ,but you never know sometimes with these unknown teams.
    It could easily have been a double digit win for the Gunners tonight ,so many chances missed. Not going to try and single out any one player for credit , good to see Gibbs get a run out though.

Man City looked good at times ,but Barca always allow that and eventually sting teams of this quality . The Prem side got pulled all over the pitch but did very well defensively and were no push over by any means . I think Gundolan was very poor at times ,very wasteful in midfield . Early on Sterling showed why i have always likened the chances of some UK teams against Barca ,because he had that spanish side crapping their pants out there .Alba had to go off with hamstring injury that he apparently had issues with before ,so i don't know what genius thought it was a good idea putting him up against Sterling ffs. Anyway Barca showed their power and handled the prem side . I will say this , Arsenal would have a lot of fun with that Barca defense that's for sure.

Results

Wed 19/10/16
    Arsenal 6 - 0 Ludogorets
    PSG 3 - 0 Basel
    Napoli 2 - 3 Beşiktaş
    Dynamo Kyiv 0 - 2 Benfica
    Celtic 0 - 2 Borussia M'gla…
    Barcelona 4 - 0 Manchester City
    Rostov 0 - 1 Atlético Madrid
    Bayern München 4 - 1 PSV

I watched Barcelona v Man City as it was free to air for anyone to view on BT Sport last night

Looking at the 4-0 scoreline and the fact that Lionel Messi scored another
    CL hat trick you might think that the Spanish side completely out played
    the visitors at the Nou Camp but it was not the case.

City actually started the match very well and looked good for about 15-20 mins but then they were punished by a series of mistakes which also included keeper Claudio Bravo being sent off but they weren't outplayed by Barca.

It was a bizarre decision by Josep Guardiola to drop Sergio Aguero and start with Kevin De Bruyne as the target man but the plan failed as the Etihad side were no threat at all upfront and were eventually overrun in midfield.

This was one of Guardiola's worst ever defeats as a manager and it annoys me when TV pundits describe him as a genius coach.
    He would never do any good at Leyton Orient in League Two!

Quote Originally Posted by specnur View Post
    he Prem side got pulled all over the pitch but did very well defensively and were no push over by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hams View Post
    Looking at the 4-0 scoreline and the fact that Lionel Messi scored another
    CL hat trick you might think that the Spanish side completely out played
    the visitors at the Nou Camp but it was not the case.
    ..it's pretty weird to see these opinions ...
    granted, I didn't watch the first 30min, but the game that I saw after I was tuning in was very onesided.. exactly the game I imagined it to be, with a chanceless Manchester City and a very dominant Barca side... but even if the first 30 minutes were different.. calling a side that concedes 4 goal "defensively well and no push over by any means" or "not outplayed" is pretty delusional if you ask me...
    Barcelona even missed a penalty.. the result could have been even worse for City

I will say this , Arsenal would have a lot of fun with that Barca defense that's for sure.
    yet again such an overly optimistic claim by specs .. it always gets me to laugh that you draw the opposite conclusions of such games than one would normally do..
    Barcelona -> "...yeah well, the other PL club with 19 points would have ripped apart that defence then"

I'd love to see you getting proven wrong again, with an Arsenal that has to face Barca in the next round, but then again you'd just start complaining that it's fishy when they do

it's pretty weird to see these opinions ...
    granted, I didn't watch the first 30min, but the game that I saw after I was tuning in was very onesided.. exactly the game I imagined it to be, with a chanceless Manchester City and a very dominant Barca side... but even if the first 30 minutes were different.. calling a side that concedes 4 goal "defensively well and no push over by any means" or "not outplayed" is pretty delusional if you ask me...
    Barcelona even missed a penalty.. the result could have been even worse for City
    I didn't say that City defended well but they did make 3 bad mistakes in the game for which they were punished for by Barcelona.
    Sometimes teams make mistakes but they get away with it but not when you're playing the likes of Messi,Neymar and Luis Suarez!

I still stand by my opinion that Man City were not outplayed by Barca and that the 4-0 result doesn't reflect how the actual game was.
    This was not a one sided 90 minutes where the Catalans dominated the game and had 90% possession or 25 shots on target like they often do
    Does any agree with me?

Ya I agree Hams. Barca were pinned back for alot of the game and I would say it was some poor passing at times for city rather than poor defending that caught them out. The difference in the teams was barca didn't give the ball away under pressure and city did. Also messi and neymar were very good and suarez hassled and harried the defence and had a good game

Quote Originally Posted by Simply View Post
    ..it's pretty weird to see these opinions ...

yet again such an overly optimistic claim by specs .. it always gets me to laugh that you draw the opposite conclusions of such games than one would normally do..
    Barcelona -> "...yeah well, the other PL club with 19 points would have ripped apart that defence then"

I'd love to see you getting proven wrong again, with an Arsenal that has to face Barca in the next round, but then again you'd just start complaining that it's fishy when they do

But i think you are talking about watching the game when City were a man down against Barca ,i think that is the dominance you saw but without taking the man advantage into consideration. I for one expected Barca to run all over Man City with 11 men ,but that was not the case.
    I say that about Arsenal because i watched the entire game Simply and you did not ,so how can you claim my opinion to be optimistic ?
    That is showing an uneducated bias.
    We have the speed that Sterling has all over the pitch left wing right wing and fluidity down the middle . The defenders i saw Barca roll out there looked shaky to say the least. Alba pulling a hamstring trying to keep Sterling under tabs, the clown how got the red card fro Barca also was made to look a fool. We are abetter side than Man city attacking wise there is no doubt about that right now so i think we would have a lot of joy agains Barca .

But i think you are talking about watching the game when City were a man down against Barca ,i think that is the dominance you saw but without taking the man advantage into consideration. I for one expected Barca to run all over Man City with 11 men ,but that was not the case.
    I say that about Arsenal because i watched the entire game Simply and you did not ,so how can you claim my opinion to be optimistic ?
    That is showing an uneducated bias.
    We have the speed that Sterling has all over the pitch left wing right wing and fluidity down the middle . The defenders i saw Barca roll out there looked shaky to say the least. Alba pulling a hamstring trying to keep Sterling under tabs, the clown how got the red card fro Barca also was made to look a fool. We are abetter side than Man city attacking wise there is no doubt about that right now so i think we would have a lot of joy agains Barca .
    ahhh yes... your obligatory red card excuse...
    First of all it seems that you forgot that Barca also got a red card only 20 minutes after Manchester City... Barca was in the lead BEFORE Bravo was sent off and also scored when the amount of players were even again...

Specnur the reason city looked good against barca was of guardiolas philosophy. He had them pressing high and he has improved them in possession and also barca are not as much a possession team as they were a few years ago. Even under pressure barca looked Ok and didn't give any sloppy goal chances away. Arsenal would not have kept the ball as well as a guardiola team and barca would have had more possession than they did last night.