Thread: Liverpool v Sunderland - 26th November , Kick Off 3.00pm

Liverpool v Sunderland - 26th November , Kick Off 3.00pm

Liverpool lost their place at the top of the table after a 0-0 draw at Southampton , manager Jurgen Klopp will have been pleased with the clean sheet ...only their second of the season ...but the usual attacking threat was blunted by a spirited Southampton defensive performance and in the end the Reds managed only two shots on target ..he was happy enough though with the result .."We could have won the game, but in the end I am happy with performance. It was an away game at Southampton and a good performance - with a clean sheet."

Sunderland moved off the bottom of the table after a 3-0 win against Hull City , Jermain Defoe scored his 150th Premier League goal in what was a comfortable victory in the end and their second in succession ..manager David Moyes said after the game he hopes to have that winning feeling again as it feels good...can he have that feeling against Liverpool at Anfield ..

I doubt that David Moyes could beat Liverpool, Liverpool may be struggling but Sunderland form needed much attention

Is the title between Liverpool and Chelsea? Right now that looks a good call, both teams proving hard to beat and both teams scoring with ease. Even the point dropped against the Saints was not one where you say they didn't create chances, a game they would have won on another day. Klopp is beginning to look like a charismatic leader, the team appears to have improved under his stewardship.

Moyes may well have shot himself in the foot again by talking of "parking the double decker bus" at Anfield, as the only prospect they have of taking anything from the game. Is it a bluff, will the Mackems attack from the kick off and try and get an early goal? If so, many of his critics might begin to look at "Moysey" differently, but I suspect he wasn't being duplicitous, he just doesn't think his players have enough craft to play Liverpool on their own terms. Rather than simply put ten men behind the ball, and leave three foot nothing Defoe to chase futile long balls I think Sunderland should look to play the home team on the break, but rapid breaking is the key, any ponderous stuff will be mopped up by the 'Pool midfield. His team may have to put in a bit more graft by quickly getting back when they lose the ball, but I think playing on the break is what Moyes should be thinking.

Hard to see anything other than a home win. Liverpool 2 Sunderland 0

FT

Liverpool 2-0 Sunderland
    1-0 Origi 75'
    2-0 Milner 90' Pen

Reds left it late to beat Sunderland but will stay in 2nd position while the Mackems mini revival is over and they stay in bottom 3

Haven't seen the highlights, but I read that Sunderland kept the Liverpool crowd quiet for long spells by restricting their chances, and I'm sure a few of them will be hoping Coutinho's injury isn't long term. Teams like Sunderland will always go to places like Anfield and play for a point, you cant really blame them I suppose but it tends to kill the spectacle. Have a look up at Bournemouth Moyes, he manages to survive without parking buses.

Coutinho will be out for 5 to 6 weeks which means that he will miss the game against West Ham in a fortnight!
    I guess there will be a recall for Sturridge?

Liverpool's players are just going to have to steel themselves for teams pitching their respective tents in the six-yard box, I mean no team wants to proffer up their back line for humiliation and the Mackem's wont be the last to try and pick off Goliath with a sling shot !

I thought Origi as soon as he was introduced immediately gave the team more potency, its no secret that when Coutz is on the pitch him and Firmino get too close to each other and become reliant on the old one two manoeuvre that looks amazing when it works but when it fails can leave our two most creative players out of the loop, this is when a player like Divock can prove priceless as he gets in behind the defence and allows either Brazilian the chance to play in the hole behind the strikers, if in this case its Firmino then he also drops back to defend high allowing Henderson or Wjinaldum the opportunity to push the play more.

Coutinho will be a huge loss, but for me personally and the majority of those who sit in the Kop and watch Firmino graft diligently week in week out winning back possession, his loss would have had an immense impact on the outcome of our season, besides which we have an able deputy in Lallana who will relish playing the role vacated by Coutinho.

Last word goes to Karius who made two Neuer like blocks to deny Sunderland in their two forays up the Anfield pitch, the lad is starting to really look the part and his distribution was excellent all albeit from the corner he conceded.