Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: FA Cup Round 4- 2016/17

Quote Originally Posted by Hams View Post
    Sat 28/01/17
    Liverpool 1-2 Wolverhampton

What a win for Wolves even if it was a good time to be playing Liverpool.
    Reds out of both cup comps in the same week!
    Cant quite believe how badly Liverpool have collapsed in recent weeks, pundits on BT Sport today talking about them making a big splash in the transfer market at the end of the season? Give over, before Christmas they looked like pretty much the only contenders to knock Chelsea off their perch. Like Specs, I fancy them to beat Chelsea on Tuesday as the league is now their only focus, and they must be desperate to get the season back on course again. I think Liverpool may have paid for fielding a team just a tad too green, like I said above it is a shame that the top clubs don't value this trophy as much as the fans. What was Southampton doing today? A team of boys fielded - why? What are they going to do in the league this season? Safe from relegation, yet apparently frightened to put out a strong line up against Arsenal? Pathetic, respect the cup FFS!
    He's magic you kno-oow, Mauricio Poch-ett-ino!

Quote Originally Posted by Pickleman1967 View Post
    Cant quite believe how badly Liverpool have collapsed in recent weeks, pundits on BT Sport today talking about them making a big splash in the transfer market at the end of the season? Give over, before Christmas they looked like pretty much the only contenders to knock Chelsea off their perch. Like Specs, I fancy them to beat Chelsea on Tuesday as the league is now their only focus, and they must be desperate to get the season back on course again. I think Liverpool may have paid for fielding a team just a tad too green, like I said above it is a shame that the top clubs don't value this trophy as much as the fans. What was Southampton doing today? A team of boys fielded - why? What are they going to do in the league this season? Safe from relegation, yet apparently frightened to put out a strong line up against Arsenal? Pathetic, respect the cup FFS!
    Well i personally think that the Southampton managers has a realistic view on what is possible with the team he has.
    He went for the EFL cup rather than the FA cup because he knows ,as well as Klopp which cup will be most coveted by the bigger teams (that being the FA cup).
    In Klopps case he has probably put his sites primarily on Champions league football for the start of the season. Luck has got him to the semi final of the EFL cup due maybe to who he has been drawn against , so why not go for it if it doesn't cut us too much in terms of a distraction from what we really want ( champions league football).
    So it has gotten to a point in our league where the most important things each year for top teams are in this order League title, Champions league qualification ,FA cup ,Eufa cup and EFL cup .You can make a case to swap Eufa cup and FA cup ,but i think it's pretty close to that imo.
    It ok saying value the cup ,which i certainly agree with ,but for a business stand point and prestige standpoint Champions league football is where its at . You as a player are on the stage of great players ,you can put forth your worth worldwide as player by our performance so players will fight tooth and nail for that place in history .
    You'll get some of these mugs who will try and play down how much Champions league football means ,but make no mistake about it , in our league it is becoming more important than ever because there is so much competition for those spots .We have 6 teams legitimately fighting for 4 places and not one team now that we have some sort of level playing field in the market place ,has a right to that spot. There are no guarantees for anyone. Not Chelsea ,not Man City and i mention those two in particular because they have gone above and beyond any team in out league to BUY their titles.

So i understand why some teams do not value domestic cup matches unless it is a path to Europe.

The reality i have been trying to convince forum members of for a while now ,is that top teams can only realistically go for two title at the most each year. League and a domestic cup ,but that is not a certainty like its was for either man u ,Liverpool and Arsenal years back.

So Klopp and Southampton had no choice to rest players and sacrifice this FA cup in the process ,they knew the weeks if not months before what was realistic .

Arsenal on the other hand putting out that teams was quite surprising to me ,but you have to give Wenger the benefit of the doubt that he knew Southampton wouldn't be putting out another first 11 knowing he had just done so successfully against Liverpool days before . Wenger put his team of experience and young players froth with great faith and it paid off big time . But in regards to Southampton maybe they want to secure European football more important than going for another domestic cup? I know one thing , with the fixtures coming up keeping players fit and motivated is no easy task.

Stevie Bould.....Stevie Bould....Stevie, Stevie BOULD!!!

Hes got no hair but we don't care! Stevie, Stevie Bould!!

100% record
    64th minute sub
    Biggest win in years!
    Clean sheet
    Arsenal legend

Be careful what you wish for.

Bould for Arsenal!!

Quote Originally Posted by specnur View Post
    Well i personally think that the Southampton managers has a realistic view on what is possible with the team he has.
    He went for the EFL cup rather than the FA cup because he knows ,as well as Klopp which cup will be most coveted by the bigger teams (that being the FA cup).
    I don't agree, ask the full house of home fans at Southampton how they feel about watching their team get humiliated 0-5 at home! It is not just a "fan thing" though, nobody will be waxing lyrical about the season their team managed to qualify for the EL or CL ten years from now, but a F.A. cup win? Different kettle of fish, it represents an honour, it lives long in the memory. A day out for the family at Wembley, or gathered around the TV beer in hand. I wouldn't expect the Saints to put out a 'full strength' team, but keep the spine of the team and stick in a few academy boys for goodness sake. What a deflation for the home fans after the elation of beating Liverpool away in the league cup, if I were a Southampton fan I'd be f*cking angry. That major reverse wont help their season in the least bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickleman1967 View Post
    I don't agree, ask the full house of home fans at Southampton how they feel about watching their team get humiliated 0-5 at home! It is not just a "fan thing" though, nobody will be waxing lyrical about the season their team managed to qualify for the EL or CL ten years from now, but a F.A. cup win? Different kettle of fish, it represents an honour, it lives long in the memory. A day out for the family at Wembley, or gathered around the TV beer in hand. I wouldn't expect the Saints to put out a 'full strength' team, but keep the spine of the team and stick in a few academy boys for goodness sake. What a deflation for the home fans after the elation of beating Liverpool away in the league cup, if I were a Southampton fan I'd be f*cking angry. That major reverse wont help their season in the least bit.
    But obviously they weren't going for the FA cup win !
    They put out their best team for the EFL cup days earlier stating the obvious.
    If they go for both cups , i know for sure it will effect their position in the league big time. Now i am assuming it is European qualification and you may not take that as seriously as that manager ,but in the scheme of things , realistically speaking for TAHT club in particular ,it's a good goal to aim for each season.
    If their fans think anything different they are delusional.
    They surely know they are not good enough for a top four spot at this moment in time and not in the foreseeable future ,so their options are limited .
    What you are suggesting about their FA cup line up is unrealistic when they are already booked for the final of EFL cup . It's basically in the bag what their goal is ,why scupper that for a trophy that is incredible unlikely to win because of the teams still involved ,with the risk of injury to key players taking them out of the EFL cup match? Doesn't make any sense to me personally .
    Fighting on as many fronts as you suggest is the very thing that is impossible today in our league .They have their cup match now it's Europe to focus on.

Anyway a couple more upsets Leeds losing to Sutton united , Watford losing to Millwall great to see!
    Last edited by specnur; 30-01-2017 at 12:33 PM.

Sun 29/01/17
    Millwall 1 - 0 Watford View events
    Fulham 4 - 1 Hull City View events
    Sutton United 1 - 0 Leeds United
    Manchester United 4-0 Wigan Athletic

Easy win for Utd in the end against Wigan at Old Trafford.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokerkings View Post

100% record
    64th minute sub
    Biggest win in years!
    Clean sheet
    Arsenal legend

Be careful what you wish for.

Bould for Arsenal!!
    Frankly I think they done bloody well to find one minute and 10 seconds career highlights of Steve Bould, though I noticed there was quite a lot of "filler" in there...

Quote Originally Posted by specnur View Post
    But obviously they weren't going for the FA cup win !
    Really? The limit of Southampton's ambition is one domestic cup competition and no more? If that is true it is even more reason for Southampton fans to be p*ssed. The best Southampton can hope for in the league is EL qualification, without looking it up I seriously doubt that competition brings in more money to the club than an FA cup win, unless of course they win it but what chance that? Zero is the answer, they actually have more chance of getting to a domestic cup final. Tottenham have a better first eleven than Southampton, they have more European experience and more financial clout, but I have serious reservations about their ability to win the EL, it is an incredibly demanding competition. The fact is we'll be fielding a weakened side when we play our next tie in the EL in February, personally I'm less bothered about that than us fielding a team of boys when we go away to Fulham in the FA Cup. If I had Poch's ear I'd be saying put out Tottenham B to face Gent, but send in a strong team for the cup derby game. Come on Specs, Arsenal fans have been crowing about the FA Cup wins over the past couple of seasons, don't blame them, it is silverware however much it has been devalued in recent years. To a club like Southampton it would mean a LOT more to win the cup, never mind the bean counters, they don't understand football and I don't think they have enough vision to see the potential long term financial benefits of winning domestic trophies - it grows the fan base a whole lot more than a few unattractive ties against mediocre European sides in the EL (or CL for that matter). It brings unforgettable moments for fans at Wembley, making little boys and girls the hardcore fans of tomorrow. Long live the FA Cup I say!