Page 1 of 8 12 ... LastLast

Thread: What the fox gone wrong at Leicester?/Ranieri sacked

What the fox gone wrong at Leicester?/Ranieri sacked

the contrast between this season's Leicester and last season's couldn't be much greater and people are questioning the downfall of the Champions. how has this happened? what is wrong at the club? should the manager pay with his job?

they key players from last season are either departed (Kante) or performing nowhere near the same level. of those still there, Vardy and Mahrez were the standout performers so lets look at their stats:

Vardy 15/16 Played 36 Goals 24 Assists 6 (1 goal every 1.5 games)
    Vardy 16/17 Played 19 Goals 5 Assists 2 (1 goal every 3.8 games)

Mahrez 15/16 Played 36 Goals 17 Assists 11 (1 goal every 2.1 games)
    Mahrez 16/17 Played 20 Goals 3 Assists 2 (1 goal every 6.6 games)

the difference in both players is striking. so what has caused such a dramatic collapse in output? to find this out it is worth considering the past as this is the best indicator of future success. so lets look at the earlier season:

Vardy 14/15 Played 26 goals 5 Assists 8
    Mahrez 14/15 Played 25 goals 4 Assists 3

what we find is that 15/16 was a massive anomaly and basically a season that was as freakish as you'll ever see. collectively a group of players struck a run of form way above and beyond their standard capabilities and they've now reverted back to normality.

so, to that extent, there is no dramatic collapse. this is simply a club back at its correct level.

Leicester finished 14/15 on 41 points. they're a little behind that amount at this stage when you consider points per game but it isn't an unreachable tally with so many games still to play. what you've got is an average group of players who performed at an unsustainable level for an incredible length of time free of any major injuries and with a host of favourable refereeing decisions going their way. it was a melting pot of great fortune and circumstance and now expectations are inflated. this is a team that are where they deserve to be.

they're simply not very good and never have been - even when they were topping the league.

Before some people come and say it's because of CL football do you think they would be challenging for the top 4 even without it? I very much doubt they would.

I think the Leicester players celebrated winning title for too long
    with their fake victory parades in Thailand etc and weren't ready for start of new season.

Interesting question, it is hard to say they just got lucky, any team needs a bit of luck every now and then but to get lucky over 38 games seems to be a stretch, everybody was expecting them to run out of "luck" after Christmas but it never happened. Remember they won by a healthy 12 point margin as well, this was no stagger over the finishing line, they embarrassed the "big" clubs who had spent a lot more on flashy signings.

There are three bleeding obvious changes - 1) Vardy's goals have dried up, take a 20 goal striker out of any team without suitable cover and you are going to struggle. Remember he turned down Arsenal? Dodged a bullet there Gooners, your season could have been worse if you had signed him. 2) They sold Kante to Chelsea who has gone on to be a key player in that team, a team ironically looking every inch champions elect now. Two league winner medals in two years for the fella? Bet he never expected anything like that a couple of seasons ago. 3) Mahrez does not look as effective as last season (the stats back this up), so there you go, sell a key midfielder, watch two other key player's form bomb without making new signings to bolster the squad and you will be up a certain creek without a paddle.

I've no sympathy for their plight, this league is a tough place and I'm a Tottenham fan. I remember a Stoke fan asking me last season, when we were still toying with the idea of possibly challenging for the league, would I really begrudge them winning. Of course I did, what next, link arms with them and sing Kumbaya? F*ck them, I'll be having a quiet chuckle if they go down...
    He's magic you kno-oow, Mauricio Poch-ett-ino!

Quote Originally Posted by IamMelGibson View Post
    Before some people come and say it's because of CL football do you think they would be challenging for the top 4 even without it? I very much doubt they would.
    A non believer i see!

Where were Chelsea last season around the same time when they were in the Champions league ?
    If you still think its a coincidence then we shall wait until Chelsea are in the CL next season and see where they are in the league at the same time . I don't think they will be in the relegation zone ,but a struggle for top 7 placing is my prediction with the current squad they have.

People ignore what the human mind and body can take constantly.
    Our league is the most demanding on the planet ,there are so many pressures already let alone playing at such a competitive level.
    I think if we poll players today in our league they will feel this is more of a job than something they love doing.
    Of course they enjoy coming out on the pitch each week ,but the toll it takes on them mentally and physically is incredible . And if they don;t perform ta their best ,they could be sitting on the bench for a month , that adds to the mental pressure in our league .

Players just can't get up for games every week like they can in La liga and the Bundesliga etc. It's just mentally and physically impossible.

I don't mean European football doesn't take it's toll. I mean Leicester wouldn't have been competing for the top spots even if they weren't in there. They were always going to come crashing down most likely. Where would you think they were without CL football?

Quote Originally Posted by IamMelGibson View Post
    I don't mean European football doesn't take it's toll. I mean Leicester wouldn't have been competing for the top spots even if they weren't in there. They were always going to come crashing down most likely. Where would you think they were without CL football?
    How do you know that though !
    All the evidence points to my logical conclusion especially Chelsea basically swapping position in the table with them under the same circumstances .
    Leicester not in Europe top of the table ,Chelsea not in Europe top of the table . Chelsea in Europe last time we checked they were bottom of the table sacking Mourinho ,Leicester in Europe bottom of the table Ranieri living on borrowed time.

United, City and Arsenal were all in the Champions League as well, they finished 2nd 4th and 5th in the league, Arsenal, Spurs and City are also in it this season and are 2nd 3rd and 4th so I wouldn't say all the evidence backs up your argument, I think you probably have a point about Chelsea this season but lets face it Leicester had everything go their way last season, an average striker who was on fire, two journeymen centre halfs who had the season of their lives, a bit like Leeds in 92 really, they are now where they belong and would probably still be there without the Champions League, they have 8 points from the 10 games since they last played a CL game, similar form to 11 from 14 before.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eric7 View Post
    United, City and Arsenal were all in the Champions League as well, they finished 2nd 4th and 5th in the league, Arsenal, Spurs and City are also in it this season and are 2nd 3rd and 4th so I wouldn't say all the evidence backs up your argument, I think you probably have a point about Chelsea this season but lets face it Leicester had everything go their way last season, an average striker who was on fire, two journeymen centre halfs who had the season of their lives, a bit like Leeds in 92 really, they are now where they belong and would probably still be there without the Champions League, they have 8 points from the 10 games since they last played a CL game, similar form to 11 from 14 before.
    What are you on about it does;t back up my argument the two teams at the top of the league in both seasons WERE NOT IN EUROPE . So that's two straight season where theta that won the league were not in Europe.

I reiterate, until the top teams land there squad with the same quality as the so called and quite frankly meaningless "starting 11" they will struggle.
    Too many domestic games ,too tough a domestic league each week ,and no winter break.
    Not sure why that's not sinking into some peoples heads ,but there it is !

kind of begs the question of why Leicester were so sh*t in 14/15 without any European football?