Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 891019 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 General Election

Quote Originally Posted by Hams View Post
    Not to mention Jeremy the Marxist's support for the IRA,Hamas,Hezbollah etc.
    How could anybody vote Labour knowing that this so called politician backs these terrorists?
    I take it your perfectly okay with the Tories funding and arming the Saudi terrorists?.

Voted on my way to work this morning. I expect the SNP to retain the seat here, there is a bit of a fight on from the Lib Dems but im pretty sure Ian Blackford is home and dry.

As for the rest of it i don't think ill bother watching the results - just too depressing.

Tories are the biggest party but without a majority according to the exit poll!!!!.

If the results are correct it looks like it will be a Tory minority government as i cant see any coalition forming with Labour as it will take about 6 or 7 parties!.

Theresa May has gambled and lost big time!.

I'm not sure where the SNP have gone?. Is this where Labour have picked up seats?.

Exciting night ahead after all!.

Shocking Exit Poll result

It does look like May's general election call has backfired.

Its still early

The Exit poll predicted that Ed Milliband would win last
    general election in 2015 and that Remain would win the Brexit vote and got both wrong.

I will be shocked if Labour has taken back so many seats from SNP in Scotland.

I take it your perfectly okay with the Tories funding and arming the Saudi terrorists?.
    No I'm not as the Saudi's are giving weapons to jihadists in Syria to fight against President Assad.

Fair play to Jeremy Corbyn. He's run the best campaign and has shown the best leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokerkings View Post
    Fair play to Jeremy Corbyn. He's run the best campaign and has shown the best leadership.
    I have to agree with you Pokers.

It looks like Jeremy Corbyn is going to be PM so congrats on your win.

This looks like its going to be the worst ever defeat for the Tories in a general election.

Cons will have to look for a new leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Hams View Post
    I have to agree with you Pokers.

It looks like Jeremy Corbyn is going to be PM so congrats on your win.

This looks like its going to be the worst ever defeat for the Tories in a general election.

Cons will have to look for a new leader.
    A tad too early to predict a Labour win Hams, but I have to say I'm enjoying seeing the smug smiles disappear from Tory and SNP faces in the early hours!
    He's magic you kno-oow, Mauricio Poch-ett-ino!

Its a hung parliament.

Tories have 316 seats with Labour on 261

Theresa May is to make a speech at 10 am.

I'm shocked at how badly the SNP did in Scotland also.

I guess there wont be a second independence referendum now!

It was a shock to see former leader Alex Salmon lose his seat and ex Lid Dem leader Nick Clegg!!

The PM has no plans to resign.

Cons will likely team up with DUP in N.Ireland to get past winning line of 326.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely View Post
    I'm not sure that he has really. I always say that electioneering from the position of opposition is clearly a hell of a lot easier than campaigning as the serving government. I'm sure you would agree with that.

however, in what was basically a two horse race with UKIP losing their reason for existing and the Lib Dems being a dead duck I would have expected a tighter race.

as I explained a while back in the Brexit thread, Corbyn had a nightmare with that. UKIP and Leave voters, economically, were largely traditional Labour voters. by campaigning and voting the opposite way I think he alienated himself and his party and led to a position of distrust. you can look back at my posts then and see that I was eagerly awaiting his input and to see this career campaigner in action when in the spotlight. his limp wristed approach was an instant turn off.

it is easy to convince students to vote for you when you're offering free university. just ask Nick Clegg. however it is less easy to convince weather beaten and downtrodden voters that graft for pittance after you've spent your time arguing in favour of free movement of people that has decimated many industries that are proportionally more represented by the working classes.

it was all uphill from there, for me. and he didn't do nearly enough. his statements on the terror attacks were weak. his explanations for the costings for his manifesto were basically non-existent and he had a shadow cabinet of London luvvies that have a disdain for the average person that they do not even bother to hide.

he ended up winning three more seats than Gordon Brown managed. that doesn't signal much of a success in my book.

I asked you yesterday to make your case for Corbyn. your response was generic platitudes. that, for me, says it all.

with a better leader Labour will win the next general election. you can quote me on that.
    Not sure how you think UKIP losing votes would make it a closer race quite honestly. Lib dems maybe helped Labour cause .
    I think Corbyn has said that he would not go against the will of then people if they want out ? So them voting on that platform or stance alone should, have made it closer which it didn't. That still voted for the cons or didn't vote at all .

The seats Labour won from the Tories (where there was a swing) were "Leave" constituencies, so clearly a lot of people unhappy with the idea of a "hard" Brexit. I have to say if the politicians we have on offer don't raise your pulse rate, the elections are at least unpredictable and exciting these days! TBH I was expecting to see Labour get a caning, so pleasantly surprised to see them make at least a partial revival. For me the most satisfying thing about the election was seeing the SNP lose ground, 21 seats down is more than just a blip, it gives me some hope for the longevity of the Union. I also found it quite amusing that Nick Clegg lost his seat, the bloke was never worthy of the title of political leader, he was way too weak in the coalition, not only did he destroy his own party's vote he now finds himself out of a job. Weak and woolly.
    I'm not sure why UKIP still exist, they needed to rebrand and possibly rename themselves if they were ever going to survive after the EU vote. With the leader gone (again) it is surely only a matter of time before what is left disintegrates completely.
    May clearly called the punt wrong, it is going to be hard for her to recover from this, there were pundits forecasting a leadership challenge last night. When all is said and done I'm not sure where this leaves us, political preferences aside I want what is best for the country. Having a strong opposition is a good thing I'd say, it will keep the worst right wing excesses of a Tory administration in check.
    He's magic you kno-oow, Mauricio Poch-ett-ino!