Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 General Election

Quote Originally Posted by Tipster View Post
    I voted Conservative in the last erection.
    R isn't anywhere near l in the keyboard. This must be some kind of Freudian thing?

Quote Originally Posted by IamMelGibson View Post
    R isn't anywhere near l in the keyboard. This must be some kind of Freudian thing?
    Politics on the brain. Ha.

Sums politics up and why so many don't vote. No keys near, but more nearer humour than the original word.

Mrs May is alright. Sure.

Don't get me started on Amber Rudd.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely View Post
    One that wants to be in government.

1979: Labour won 269 seats - James Callaghan resigned.
    1992 : Labour won 271 seats - Neil Kinnock resigned
    I don't follow. Callaghan lost seats in 79. Kinnock was expected to win in 92 but lost. No-one expected Corbyn to do so well.

you seem pleased at potential trouble with Brexit. would you like us to remain in the single market and, therefore, retain free movement of people?
    I don't like the idea of free movement of people but if its the only way we remain part of the single market then so be it. Immigration was not my main reason for voting to leave, but I understand why people like yourself would be swayed by it. Maybe if i lived in London, Manchester, Glasgow etc I would feel different.

So how would vastly increased public spending halt that?
    We will never know how strategic investment may have affected the economy. What is clear is that the Tories economic policy hasn't worked.

If the general election was taking place next week i think that the Labour party
    would have won it for sure as the response from the government to the tower block
    fire has been a bloody disgrace. Its been 3 days now and there is still no official help.

I don't see Theresa May lasting as PM for much longer, there is still no deal yet with the DUP.

So he's a winner by virtue of low expectations? that's how far Labour have sunk? we're basically a two party nation in which the second party consider losing to be a victory?

what a damning verdict of our current political landscape.
    Perhaps it is. Corbyn was welcomed into the Commons with applause last week and a recent Survation poll put Labour ahead of the Tories for the first time in nearly 10 years!. The momentum is with Corbyn and I don't see how Prime Minister Boris Johnson will stop it.

That isn't an answer to my question.

I asked how increased public spending would halt the UK debt increasing? it seems at odds to me that you'd have concern about the UK debt but support a man whose policy was to basically increase the public debt.

its perfectly fine to say the Tories economic policy hasn't worked. but I am unclear as to how Labour's economic policy would have worked. it sounded to me like the UK debt would spiral even more out of control while reliance on the state would increase significantly among the populace. is that sound economics?
    Im no Economics expert and I cant really comment on Corbyns spending plans I haven't seen it all. my point was that the Tories have failed on the economy by trebling the National debt despite promising and sometimes even claiming that they are cutting the defecit and paying back the debt!. The UK lost its AAA+ borrowing rating on the Tories watch. There is a school of thought that says investing in the economy is the best way to avoid the calamatous effects of a recession but as i say we will never know as the Tories got into power and started the slash and burn policy that has left the economy so fragile that the effects of another recession doesn't even bear thinking about.

I asked Poker to set out his stall for why somebody should vote for Corbyn. his response is there for you to see. it was effectively a ball of tumbleweed. Corbyn's best asset seems to be that he isn't a Tory. as somebody who rejects party politics this isn't convincing enough an argument for me.
    Erm. Not sure what you mean by that because I'm pretty sure I've highlighted why we should vote for Labour over the alternative?

If not, here's why...

http://www.labour.org.uk/index.php/10-pledges

End insecurity for private renters by introducing rent controls.

End exploitative zero hours contracts. Like your Queen loves to use on her staff.

Action against undercutting of pay and conditions through the exploitation of migrant labour.

We will build a progressive tax system so that wealth and the highest earners are fairly taxed, and shrink the gap between the highest and lowest paid.

Act to create a more equal society, boost the incomes of the poorest.

Sounds a right nightmare doesn't he?

as I say, Corbyn's supposed "momentum" is largely in Labour heartlands with a couple of exceptions. it was helped massively by May's disaster of a campaign but, as I've said before, I think Labour will win the next GE with a different leader. only an incredibly incompetent campaign on their behalf will stop them. his policies were too far the other way for people to hop on board. he'll never get my vote.
    People have been hopping on board though!. He got over 3.5 Million more votes than Ed Millibands more centralist policies. Who do you think would win the next GE for Labour then?.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
    Austerity and Osbornomics hasn't worked - the UK debt has trebled since 2010!.
    Cameron and Osbourne were obsessed with growth and balancing the books.

Growth started well, then slowed a bit, but they did and are still attempting to lower the outgoings to incomings.

Like you say, sadly, the debt has increased; I'm well aware of that.

I know it's not popular to cut this and then cut that, but we need to make sure that, despite every man and his dog wanting money here and there for something, that we don't keep spending just because someone asks for it, or needs it.

The government really need to keep saying 'no' to requests: Even if this makes them the nasty party.

I guarantee that a Labour government would...borrow more.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipster View Post
    I know it's not popular to cut this and then cut that, but we need to make sure that, despite every man and his dog wanting money here and there for something, that we don't keep spending just because someone asks for it, or needs it.

The government really need to keep saying 'no' to requests: Even if this makes them the nasty party.
    If only it were that simple...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-8724779.html

as I've said, they are votes in Labour strongholds. he needs seats, not an increased majority in Islington. he got four more seats than Gordon Brown. that shouldn't be good enough for anyone who is a Labour supporter.

I have no idea who would be the person to win it for them, I don't know enough about the Labour ranks but I am near certain it wont be one of Corbyn's inner circle who would triumph. I am also certain that Corbyn would win another Labour leadership election if he were to fight for his position though which effectively makes the whole thing redundant.

So even though Corbyns popularity is rising and he gained more votes and seats than his moderate predecessor and that his policies are proving more and more popular your still sure that replacing him with somebody else is a sure fire route to success even though you don't know who or what they stand for?!.

The Tories have finally done deal with the DUP to allow them to cling to power. It has taken 3 and a half weeks - which is 3 and a half times longer than the DUP beleive is took God to create the Earth! - no wonder Theresa May thinks she's a 'bloody difficult woman to deal with'!

In other news my local MP Ian Blackford has been named the new SNP leader in Westminster.