Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 General Election

That was an expensive deal between The Tories and The DUP.

I think its worth though as long as we don't have any more elections
    until after Brexit.

The Irish now have an extra 1 Billion so lets hope they spend it wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely View Post
    obviously i'm not saying get rid and pick a random name out of the hat.
    I Think that's how they decided on Owen Smith to run against Corbyn last year!.

Corbyn's Glastonbury performance typifies what i mean. a bloke preaching to thousands of middle class white people who have paid 250 for tickets to an event that charges 5 a pint and about 10 a burger all virute signalling about the suffering and plight of people on the breadline. i find it cringeworthy, personally. preaching to the converted is easy, convincing the masses is a whole other ball game.
    I Think its trying to reach to the non voters of which im sure there are quite a few at Glasto.

lets say he runs again in the next GE and gains another dozen seats. what then? go again and hope for another dozen in four years time? you're still coming away as a loser.
    If he gets a dozen seats from the Tories then he becomes PM!. Albiet in a 'Coalition of Chaos' and that's if the numbers stay the same in the other parties and if the Tories manage to hold onto their gains in Scotland, which seems unlikely now that indref2 has been postponed until 2019.

Corbyn's Glastonbury performance typifies what i mean. a bloke preaching to thousands of middle class white people who have paid 250 for tickets to an event that charges 5 a pint and about 10 a burger all virute signalling about the suffering and plight of people on the breadline. i find it cringeworthy, personally. preaching to the converted is easy, convincing the masses is a whole other ball game.
    Partially true, majority BOLLOCKS!
    I was there and i can say that most of those kids probably saved up a year to attend this event that basically rids them of the daily grind for a weekend.
    He was reaching out to people that will make difference down the road including them in the democratic process any showing that he hears them ,can the conservatives say that? Leave it out.

He is about as genuine a man of the pole as you will get on the political horizon right now ,he may not be perfect but he was there fighting the good fight when it was;t popular and because his conscience told him. those kids sent a message to then conservatives that made it clear to the country they are completely and utterly out of touch with the future generations of this country.

Its s hilarious hearing some of the reactions for conservatives after he attended Glastonbury , disgusting ba@sta@rds!
    Last edited by specnur; 29-06-2017 at 12:53 PM.

I can imagine you now, chanting away.

OOOOOOH JE-RE-MY CORRRRBYN!

I think you underestimate the reliance on the bank of mum and dad.

Not a chance mate ,i was working at the time . I do what i have to do and get out, just too old for that . Missed John Cooper Clarke the only real reason i would have hung about. The Toilets ,i swear , have to be one of the worst stenches to ever enter my nostrils. Almost wretched immediately. Must have been filled with tories after Corbyn battered them in the popularity stakes!

C4 news reader Jon Snow was allegedly heard shouting
    "fuck the Tories" during the Glastonbury festival and has been urged to quit his job.

Surely that's more worthy of a promotion!!

personally speaking, I'm itching to vote Labour. I just can't get behind him and I think his manifesto was desperate.
    I find it hard to believe that you would be 'itching' to vote for anyone.

if he gets a dozen seats from the Tories he still has fewer seats than them. sure he may do a deal with the SNP but in a post-IndyRef2 world, what life is there in the SNP and what would it mean to jump into bed with them whichever way a referendum went?

if the current situation is a clusterf*ck then who knows what that would bring.
    Apparently the next Indpendence referendum is expected to be 2020 now. A General Election is likely before then.

Mary Doll might have completely demolished the SNP by the time that second referendum comes around if she suffers yet more losses.
    What?!. Since she has become leader the number of SNP MPs at Westminster has gone up from 6 to 35, they have become the 3rd largest party in the UK, the membership has shot up from 20000 to 125000 and she has won a Scottish Election. Is that a demolishion job?!.

60 to 35 but on a downward trajectory having lost 21 seats.
    Once you have won 95% of the seats you are contesting it very hard to repeat that feat!. They still got 60% of the seats, when she took over they had 10%!.

however Mary Doll has failed to build on that and instead has somehow managed to oversee a situation in which the Tories are the second largest party in Scotland.
    but has made the SNP the 3rd largest party in the UK!.

Once you hit the heights that she has things are bound to come down but to claim that she is demolishing the party is like claiming the Tony Blair demolished the Labour Party!.

so a 37.5% loss in seats is no big deal in the Scottish political landscape but a 4% loss represents a defeat for May in the UK political landscape?
    May lost her majority, the SNP have kept theirs. They won 60% of all of the seats they contested, no other party can claim that.

As I said, it is extremely easy campaigning from a position of nationalistic ideals and portraying yourself as an outsider from the 'Westminster elite'. it was entirely logical for the Scottish people to vote to remain within the UK but then vote in a nationalist party. that this party has been unable to retain this swell of support within such a short period of time highlights significant failings on their part.

why are the people of Scotland suddenly looking to the Tories? what are they offering that Mary Doll is not?
    Ruth Davidson did a good job as portraying a vote for the Tories as a No vote for another referendum (even though the vote has been passed in the Scottish Parliament). Since Labour and the Lib Dems look toothless north of the border they see the Tories as the only real opposition to the SNP.

incidentally many people do claim that Blair demolished the Labour party. I'd bet many of them are very senior in the current labour party.
    They would also admit that he was the most popular Labour PM of all time and won 2 landslide victories. It was his 3rd term and Iraq that was the death of him.