Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10192021 LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 203

Thread: 2017 General Election

  1. #191
    Quote Originally Posted by specnur View Post

    Not a chance mate ,i was working at the time . I do what i have to do and get out, just too old for that . Missed John Cooper Clarke the only real reason i would have hung about. The Toilets ,i swear , have to be one of the worst stenches to ever enter my nostrils. Almost wretched immediately. Must have been filled with tories after Corbyn battered them in the popularity stakes!
    fair play to him for still going - I saw him on some tv comedy panel show a couple of years ago and he looked like life was catching up with him

    that's strange, I thought that Corbyn supporters' sh*t didn't stink

  2. #192
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
    I find it hard to believe that you would be 'itching' to vote for anyone.
    ok, a slight exaggeration on my part.


    Quote Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
    Apparently the next Indpendence referendum is expected to be 2020 now. A General Election is likely before then.
    Mary Doll might have completely demolished the SNP by the time that second referendum comes around if she suffers yet more losses.

    perhaps then there will be a microscope placed against the SNP finances which I understand to be somewhat troublesome.

  3. #193
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely View Post
    Mary Doll might have completely demolished the SNP by the time that second referendum comes around if she suffers yet more losses.
    What?!. Since she has become leader the number of SNP MPs at Westminster has gone up from 6 to 35, they have become the 3rd largest party in the UK, the membership has shot up from 20000 to 125000 and she has won a Scottish Election. Is that a demolishion job?!.

  4. #194
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
    What?!. Since she has become leader the number of SNP MPs at Westminster has gone up from 6 to 35, they have become the 3rd largest party in the UK, the membership has shot up from 20000 to 125000 and she has won a Scottish Election. Is that a demolishion job?!.
    60 to 35 but on a downward trajectory having lost 21 seats.

    she's peaked off the back of the first IndyRef in what was a logical shift in Scottish politics. don't go the whole hog with independence but get a Scottish focused party in power. very sound reasoning, to be fair.

    however Mary Doll has failed to build on that and instead has somehow managed to oversee a situation in which the Tories are the second largest party in Scotland.

    Credit must go to the likeable Ruth Davidson, of course, but that is a somewhat remarkable transition in Scottish politics where a near extinct presence in Scotland rises up without the tempting 'Braveheart' lure of nationalism/patriotism.

  5. #195
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely View Post
    60 to 35 but on a downward trajectory having lost 21 seats.
    Once you have won 95% of the seats you are contesting it very hard to repeat that feat!. They still got 60% of the seats, when she took over they had 10%!.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steely View Post
    however Mary Doll has failed to build on that and instead has somehow managed to oversee a situation in which the Tories are the second largest party in Scotland.
    but has made the SNP the 3rd largest party in the UK!.

    Once you hit the heights that she has things are bound to come down but to claim that she is demolishing the party is like claiming the Tony Blair demolished the Labour Party!.

  6. #196
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
    Once you have won 95% of the seats you are contesting it very hard to repeat that feat!. They still got 60% of the seats, when she took over they had 10%!.
    so a 37.5% loss in seats is no big deal in the Scottish political landscape but a 4% loss represents a defeat for May in the UK political landscape?

    in 2015 the SNP got 1.4m votes. in 2017 they got fewer than 1m. they lost A THIRD of their votes in two years.
    in 2015 the Tories got 11.3m votes. in 2017 they got 13.6m - an increase of nearly 2.5m votes.

    that the missing 2015 SNP voters have apparently defected to the Tories rather than Labour or Libs should be a cause for great concern within the corridors of the SNP.


    Quote Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
    but has made the SNP the 3rd largest party in the UK!.

    Once you hit the heights that she has things are bound to come down but to claim that she is demolishing the party is like claiming the Tony Blair demolished the Labour Party!.
    As I said, it is extremely easy campaigning from a position of nationalistic ideals and portraying yourself as an outsider from the 'Westminster elite'. it was entirely logical for the Scottish people to vote to remain within the UK but then vote in a nationalist party. that this party has been unable to retain this swell of support within such a short period of time highlights significant failings on their part.

    why are the people of Scotland suddenly looking to the Tories? what are they offering that Mary Doll is not?

    incidentally many people do claim that Blair demolished the Labour party. I'd bet many of them are very senior in the current labour party.

  7. #197
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely View Post
    so a 37.5% loss in seats is no big deal in the Scottish political landscape but a 4% loss represents a defeat for May in the UK political landscape?
    May lost her majority, the SNP have kept theirs. They won 60% of all of the seats they contested, no other party can claim that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steely View Post
    As I said, it is extremely easy campaigning from a position of nationalistic ideals and portraying yourself as an outsider from the 'Westminster elite'. it was entirely logical for the Scottish people to vote to remain within the UK but then vote in a nationalist party. that this party has been unable to retain this swell of support within such a short period of time highlights significant failings on their part.

    why are the people of Scotland suddenly looking to the Tories? what are they offering that Mary Doll is not?
    Ruth Davidson did a good job as portraying a vote for the Tories as a No vote for another referendum (even though the vote has been passed in the Scottish Parliament). Since Labour and the Lib Dems look toothless north of the border they see the Tories as the only real opposition to the SNP.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steely View Post
    incidentally many people do claim that Blair demolished the Labour party. I'd bet many of them are very senior in the current labour party.
    They would also admit that he was the most popular Labour PM of all time and won 2 landslide victories. It was his 3rd term and Iraq that was the death of him.

  8. #198
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
    May lost her majority, the SNP have kept theirs. They won 60% of all of the seats they contested, no other party can claim that.
    you mean "they retained 60% of the seats they contested"

    whatever. it is spin. I admire your efforts at painting this as anything other than a dramatic loss for the SNP

    Quote Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
    They would also admit that he was the most popular Labour PM of all time and won 2 landslide victories. It was his 3rd term and Iraq that was the death of him.
    well they'd have to admit that, the figures are undeniable, however much you might despise the man.

    yep, that dreaded third term. there aint many that survive beyond a third term. Blair and Thatcher are the only post war PMs to lead beyond a decade.

  9. #199
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely View Post
    you mean "they retained 60% of the seats they contested"

    whatever. it is spin. I admire your efforts at painting this as anything other than a dramatic loss for the SNP
    Its not a loss!, they won a majority of the seats in Scotland - that's a win!. Thats not spin, its a fact!.

    The Tories lost seats and lost their majority and you say they are the winners, the SNP lost seats but kept their majority in Scotland and you call it a dramatic loss!.

    The Tories gained seats in Scotland but came 2nd and you say they deserve credit, Labour gained seats in England and Wales but came 2nd and you label Corbyn a loser!

  10. #200
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
    Its not a loss!, they won a majority of the seats in Scotland - that's a win!. Thats not spin, its a fact!
    they did win a majority of the seats in Scotland. I'm not disputing facts mate. they did, however, lose quite a significant number of seats.

    Quote Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
    The Tories lost seats and lost their majority and you say they are the winners, the SNP lost seats but kept their majority in Scotland and you call it a dramatic loss!.
    the number of seats they lost was very small proportionally and that is being overblown by the loss of 'their majority'. they still comfortably secured the most seats and the most votes and are therefore the winners, in exactly the same way that the SNP are the winners in Scotland, despite their own losses.

    Quote Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
    The Tories gained seats in Scotland but came 2nd and you say they deserve credit, Labour gained seats in England and Wales but came 2nd and you label Corbyn a loser!
    the Tories were second in a region in which it was said there were more Giant Pandas than Tory MPs. I think you've made that same gag yourself on the forum actually. yet here we are with them in second place. the turnaround is dramatic. they were non-existent because of the SNP, Lib Dems and Labour. I'm not sure why you'd ignore the obvious turnaround in them now becoming the biggest threat to the SNP, from nowhere.

    Labour, meanwhile, came second in a two horse race with a seat haul only fractionally better than Gordon Brown.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •