Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The big 4 0 bro!

The big 4 0 bro!

In a few weeks time I will be turning that certain age where apparently life begins!. Now i know this forum is mainly full of young pups but i know there a few guys on the other side of the hill. I Would be interested to know how you coped with the occasion. Did you dread it?, Did it change you as a person?, give you a new lease of life or is it a case of age ain't nothing but a number?.

My life has changed completely from where I was when I turned 30 - to be honest its changed quite a bit since turning 39!. I am keeping my eye out for the dreaded mid life crisis. I have warned the wife that any sign of me doing anything weird like dying my hair blonde, buying a motorbike and leather jacket or listening to the Manic Street Preachers and she is to slap me and threaten me with a divorce.

One thing is for sure, I am not getting depressed about turning 40 - too many people never made it this far...

Did it change you as a person?, give you a new lease of life or is it a case of age ain't nothing but a number?.
    I'm still the same person now as i was and think age is just a number.
    what i am is much calmer now and less angry and dont lose my temper so much.
    Except when West Ham lose which is quite often!
    I wont be having a mid life crisis and getting a leather jacket and motorbike.
    I might have to cut down on the late nights,parties and women eventually
    though when i retire to go back and live in Spain.

I seem to get better looking with age.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
    In a few weeks time I will be turning that certain age where apparently life begins!. Now i know this forum is mainly full of young pups but i know there a few guys on the other side of the hill. I Would be interested to know how you coped with the occasion. Did you dread it?, Did it change you as a person?, give you a new lease of life or is it a case of age ain't nothing but a number?.

My life has changed completely from where I was when I turned 30 - to be honest its changed quite a bit since turning 39!. I am keeping my eye out for the dreaded mid life crisis. I have warned the wife that any sign of me doing anything weird like dying my hair blonde, buying a motorbike and leather jacket or listening to the Manic Street Preachers and she is to slap me and threaten me with a divorce.

One thing is for sure, I am not getting depressed about turning 40 - too many people never made it this far...
    "other side of the hill"
    Excuse me?

I wear a leather jacket because i have always worn a leather jacket since the punk days!

Age is nothing but number you bet!
    This days people live longer ,there is a reason the retirement age has been shifted back .
    I am well over the age of 40 ,but i probably look as young as you if not younger.
    It is state of mind.
    I didn't feel what people call a mid life crisis yet ,well not what i have known to be the typical symptoms of anyway.
    I never felt the need to impress people by looking younger or acting younger.
    I'm just not very mature for my age ,not physically or mentally .
    Personally i just don't give a f@ck about anything but my kids.
    I still play football with guys 20 -30 years younger than myself ,not because i'm trying to keep up ,but because i like playing the game .
    I'm not going to say i'm turning them inside out ,but i get a good run a around.
    I think i was blessed to grow up in an age when so many things were new in terms of music and trends such as Punk ,Hip hop, Disco etc these days everything else is just retread of the past i can only attribute that to why my generation of folks who were around that scene never took to the pipe and slippers route.
    The music i loved back then i love now with as much if not more passion mainly because i listen to the lyrics more than i am attracted to the vibe.
    I can speak for anyone else ,but the the moment my kids finished college i didn't look at my life as progressing down the other side of the hill , i looked at it as being at half time.
    I look after myself with regular runs and a bit of light weights and i am in pretty decent shape ,the one thing i would advise is to get a gym membership or regular work outs at home . Work on your core more than anything else ,you will notice the change in everything for your posture which his important , to your overall actual strength not perceived strength through image. Anyway age is what you make it . Do what comes naturally and you will never be disappointed.
    The problem i see for people this side of the pond (the UK) is that they are absolutely obsessed with self image and celebrity .
    That tends to spread to those that are disgusted by it in ways they don't realize ,because it is so pervasive. Sometimes i honestly feel i have been abducted by aliens for 10 or 15 years and dropped back to earth exactly where i left off when they took me ,they way i though when i was i still think today pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Hill View Post
    edited for you
    You cheeky monkey.

Quote Originally Posted by specnur View Post
    I am well over the age of 40 ,but i probably look as young as you if not younger.
    Means nothing really since it's impossible to say whether a black man is 25 or 70 years old.

This all sounds awful though. I hope I don't live long enough to see that old age.

Quote Originally Posted by IamMelGibson View Post
    This all sounds awful though. I hope I don't live long enough to see that old age.
    So do i mate!

Quote Originally Posted by specnur View Post
    So do i mate!
    Wow. That's a bit harsh don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by IamMelGibson View Post
    Wow. That's a bit harsh don't you think?
    depends how you take it mate.
    I could have been talking about myself .