Thread: Is Diving Ban a Good Idea?

Is Diving Ban a Good Idea?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39962886

Players who dive in English football will face bans from next season under new Football Association regulations.

Under the new rules, passed by the governing body at its annual general meeting on Thursday, a panel will review footage each Monday looking for cases of simulation.

Any player unanimously found guilty of diving would be given a suspension.

The FA also announced it has passed reforms it proposed in March, following criticism over the way it is run.
    BBC

Is diving ban a good idea?

Sounds fine but it only applies to players who get a player booked or win a penalty by diving. And I guess it's only when there's no contact so not that significant change I think.

Quote Originally Posted by IamMelGibson View Post
    Sounds fine but it only applies to players who get a player booked or win a penalty by diving. And I guess it's only when there's no contact so not that significant change I think.
    that's a good point. players dive all over the pitch but I expect there will be a strong focus on 'penalty appeal' dives. how many times have you seen a defender basically dive by his own corner flag to win a free kick and get himself out of trouble? those things are never highlighted yet are still basically cheating.

i'll be watching intently to see how much this is actually tracked by the FA and how it affects certain players and teams. in fact, I will start a thread up at the start of the season to focus specifically on this issue to monitor which clubs/players are punished and maybe even which clubs are on the suffering end of such dives.

There is a massive grey area when it comes to forwards diving in the penalty box, the "slight contact" thing when a defender does little more than move the bootlaces of the attacking player but he goes down anyway - the "technical" penalty. I'll be interested to see how that one is dealt with, as those ones often divide opinion between ex pros. As for the "no contact" dives, yes it is a good idea to do something that might make players think twice, because right now they are getting away with it while other cheating tactics (like fouling) are subject to retrospective punishment.
    He's magic you kno-oow, Mauricio Poch-ett-ino!