Thread: Anti-Democracy Protests

Anti-Democracy Protests

the new 'thing' seems to be repeated protests against an elected government.

firstly we saw it with Trump and the continual violence and wanton destruction of property because an election did not go the way some people wanted.

now this attempt to 'overthrow the government' is underway in Blighty with the most recent protests being the "Not one day more" protests: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40468881

it seems these people either do not understand, or do not like, the way democracy works. the current PM heads up a party which had the highest number of votes and won the highest number of seats. they want her replaced with a man and party who received fewer votes and fewer seats.

Corbyn adds an air of legitimacy to this sorry state of affairs by attending and speaking at the event that had all the hallmarks of some dictatorial coup with the sycophantic chanting and deification of their hero. people were walking around with signs featuring pictures of senior Tories with what looked like bullet holes in their head and blood pouring from their mouths. Diane Abbott had a whale of a time.

unfortunately we don't have General Elections every day and so I think there will be plenty more days of Tory government until the next opportunity to hit the ballot box.

still, I'm sure a lot of people feel a bit better about themselves and that's the most important thing

Isn't the right to protest against the Government the cornerstone of a great democracy?. Of course I don't agree with any destruction of property but the right to peacefully protest is a fine British tradition. Do they not have the right to protest about the governments austerity programme?. Corbyn loves this of course because his entire career has been one long protest march and now he is within touching distance of No.10. This isn't going to bring the government down but it does remind them of the opposition to their economic plans. Just because Labour didn't win the election (No-one did , it was a hung parliament) that doesn't mean his supporters have to sit at home quietly seething and keeping shtum until the next polling day, what kind of democracy would that be?.

they have the right, of course they have the right.

it is the message that I am concerned about. the British people had the chance, just a month ago, to oust the Tories completely. they chose not to and, instead, we have May remaining as PM.

there is an overwhelming nastiness and arrogance in their message. the notion that their view is 'for the many' and any disagreement must only be from that of an 'evil tory scum' is regressive.

the most recent drivel I've been reading is faux-outrage at being banned from politicising Wimbledon with those tiresome 'Corbyn' chants, as though this historic sporting institution is a valid platform for political discourse.

this 'ban' has been met with claims that Wimbledon is some elitist toff-fest only for the super rich, despite tickets being many times cheaper than those of Glastonbury, which was evidently a Corbyn love-in. its this constant contradiction and tunnel vision that grates with me.

the same sort of people that decry Brexit as being the death of their future while also idolising Corbyn who must surely be complicit in the death of their future seeing as he is pro-Brexit now.

I constantly say there is a lack of logic in party politics but this rabid form of idolising one man is becoming almost cult-like. I worry for the collective mindset of this country whereby you can't sit there and pick apart the individual arguments a person makes, with a concession on some things being right and some things being wrong. it must be all or nothing.

that is what this movement represents. Corbyn or bust.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely View Post
    this 'ban' has been met with claims that Wimbledon is some elitist toff-fest only for the super rich, despite tickets being many times cheaper than those of Glastonbury, which was evidently a Corbyn love-in. its this constant contradiction and tunnel vision that grates with me.
    I Think Wimbledon has always been seen as elitist. Its hard to imagine a Wayne Rooney type figure flying the flag for the UK in the Tennis world!. Add to that the Strawberries and Cream, bottles of Pimms and the Royal Box and it doesn't really seem like a great working class sport. It has never really interested me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
    I Think Wimbledon has always been seen as elitist. Its hard to imagine a Wayne Rooney type figure flying the flag for the UK in the Tennis world!. Add to that the Strawberries and Cream, bottles of Pimms and the Royal Box and it doesn't really seem like a great working class sport. It has never really interested me anyway.
    for sure, it doesn't interest me either.

Glastonbury is hardly the epicentre of the working classes either. its always been a comfy middle class virtue signalling, circle-jerk hippie hypocrite-fest.

meanwhile, Hamburg seems to have been given the 'progressive' treatment over the last few days. how enlightening it must be for the local residents and business owners. cars burnt, shops smashed, streets destroyed.

apparently some shops were basically forced into paying 'insurance' in the form of money for signs requesting the rioters do not smash and loot their shops in something that comes from Kray era 'protection'.

scum.