Thread: Rooney returns to Everton/Man Utd sign Lukaku for 75m!

Rooney returns to Everton/Man Utd sign Lukaku for 75m!

Wayne Rooney has returned to Everton on a free 13 years after
    leaving the Toffees while Man Utd have signed Lukaku for 75 m!

Did Rooney make the right choice to go back to his boyhood club
    and have Utd over spent on a Belgian striker who often fails to score in big games?

interesting couple of moves.

Rooney must surely be going as a forward. I think his credibility as a football player depends on it. he has been stagnating for years in that central midfield role of aimless spread passes to the wings so this is a chance to rediscover himself as the focal point of an attack. Everton supporters main critique of Lukaku was his first touch and lack of movement so Rooney will give them that but I'm not so sure he can match Lukaku's goalscoring record in that team.

Lukaku has always been a player that should be playing at the top level. he'll be a great fit for Man United for many years. they are still a number of positions away from being likely competitors for the title I think but this is a massive statement from them. a proven goalscorer with attributes that are sure to suit them.

we could be in for another very interesting season in the top half.

Irish newspaper The Herald mistakes grime star Stormzy with Romelu Lukaku!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/articl...-romelu-lukaku

he does look like him, to be fair

I seriously consider it possible that without Rooney the price could have been lower for Lukaku. But seems like a good transfer for all parties.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely View Post
    Rooney must surely be going as a forward. I think his credibility as a football player depends on it. he has been stagnating for years in that central midfield role of aimless spread passes to the wings so this is a chance to rediscover himself as the focal point of an attack. Everton supporters main critique of Lukaku was his first touch and lack of movement so Rooney will give them that but I'm not so sure he can match Lukaku's goalscoring record in that team.
    Quite surprised to hear you say that Steely, you have been pretty scathing about Rooney's ability in recent years. "Stagnating" or just a player at the end of his career? It would be the latter for me, Everton are getting a shadow of the player that left for Man Utd all those years ago. Koeman is a talented manager, so maybe he'll find a way of rekindling the fire, but got to be honest and say I don't think that is going to happen. Rooney was a 5 or 6/10 player on a good day for Man Utd in recent years, will he become 8 or 9/10 for Everton? I'm saying no. Pity we don't have any Toffees posting, it would be interesting to hear what the Goodison faithful think.
    He's magic you kno-oow, Mauricio Poch-ett-ino!

Quote Originally Posted by Pickleman1967 View Post
    Quite surprised to hear you say that Steely, you have been pretty scathing about Rooney's ability in recent years. "Stagnating" or just a player at the end of his career? It would be the latter for me, Everton are getting a shadow of the player that left for Man Utd all those years ago. Koeman is a talented manager, so maybe he'll find a way of rekindling the fire, but got to be honest and say I don't think that is going to happen. Rooney was a 5 or 6/10 player on a good day for Man Utd in recent years, will he become 8 or 9/10 for Everton? I'm saying no. Pity we don't have any Toffees posting, it would be interesting to hear what the Goodison faithful think.
    well his output has largely been sh*t. one of my major (football related) criticisms of him with England is his lack of positional discipline. we'd use him as a central striker and the Roy of the Rovers wannabe would find himself mincing about on the half way line and thinking he can do it all, tackling, passing etc which in turn disrupted our shape and caused our actual midfielders to be all over the place to accommodate his nonsense.

if he stays as a striker then perhaps he can regain a decent goal haul. he has declined but even at his peak was never even close to the world beater we all wanted. however he has to be looking to get 15-20 goals. I will be watching carefully.

Well I am very interested to see how he does as well but if he plays like he did last season he shouldn't be a starter for Everton or any PL team probably. Perhaps if he can get the motivation to get in shape getting more playing time will make him better.